Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
July 27, 2024 - @165.00 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 28/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ozwomp: Reminder: Forum messages stay readable for years! Keep yours high quality! :ozwomp:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Forum Hub
| |-+  ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions
| | |-+  Should the forum be closed on mondays?

« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Poll
Question: Should the forum be closed on mondays??
Yarr
Narr

Author Topic: Should the forum be closed on mondays?  (Read 3719 times)
aztralsea
Newbie ⚓︎

SpaceHey: Friend Me!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2024 @938.29 »

While personally I prefer the idea of the Forum being open purely because in my timezone the easiest time for me to log on happens to be monday, I also see the value in keeping it closed and reckon if that's the vision for it then follow it  :loved:

"I'm just a girl from the middle of nowhere"
OneMillionFurries
Full Member ⚓︎

Gettin silly with it

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!:0 its one million furriesFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2024 @969.19 »

On one hand, I absolutely love the forum being closed on Mondays, since it does give me that "step outside and touch grass" reminder.

On the other hand, I cannot count the many, MANY times I've went to show someone how cool this forum is, or wanting to look up a thread that I saw that has the exact answer to my question, only to be met with the "We're closed on Mondays! :ozwomp:" page :drat: The latter especially sucks because of my memory issues. By the time I remember to write down what I had wanted to find, I've already forgotten what it was XD

Despite that, I still voted yarr since I do really enjoy the "log tf off" vibe of it. Honestly part of me almost wishes that more websites would implement something like this.

j
Full Member ⚓︎

bleh bleh *gargle gargle*

View Profile

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2024 @731.90 »

something i've only just considered: what happens to the radio when the forum closes?
mahoroa
Jr. Member ⚓︎

shadow wizard money gang

View Profile WWW

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2024 @796.35 »

Im fine with the forum being closed on Mondays. The only problem I have is that because of my timezone its closed on BOTH Sundays and Mondays. I'm assuming thats just timezone stuff bc there have been occassions I could use the forum on Sundays only if I woke up and used my computer early.

Itd also be nice to see like an archive of the posts here. Sometimes I find myself looking for a specific post that had some important info on it and then not being able to see it because the forum is closed. So maybe having the forum technically be closed (people not being able to log in, not being able to comment, etc.) but still being able to see posts would work? IDK LOL

KittyTheKat
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Any/All and Agender

iMood: KittyTheKat

View Profile WWW

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2024 @761.11 »

There could still be the nifty closed page but maybe have a link on it to proceed to the [read-only] forum if desired?

I like this idea, even though I voted yes! It gets across the idea of "you should log off every once in a while", but if you need to reference something you got help with or just want to browse a little I think that'd be alright.

"Hell is other people. But that’s only that side of the coin. The other side, which no one seems to mention, is also “Heaven is each other.” … Hell is separateness, uncommunicability, self-centeredness, lust for power, for riches, for fame. Heaven, on the other hand, is very simple—and very hard: caring about your fellow beings." -Jean-Paul Sartre
grubbyfox
Full Member ⚓︎

forever in 2006

iMood: grubbyfox

View Profile WWW

Joined 2023!
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2024 @770.64 »

I was a bit surprised at first, but I honestly dont mind at all. Honestly, I wouldn't mind if it was closed say Monday and Wednesdays haha, but I can understand maybe not everyone agrees, and that's totally fine. I dont mind either way. I think the idea of it was pretty good and I def think it's healthy for us all anyway!

xandra
Full Member ⚓︎

i want to be with you everywhere

StatusCafe: xandra
iMood: xandra0

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Spring :^}OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2024 @953.17 »

i kind of *love* that the forum is closed on mondays, but i think merging the two concepts is a great idea.

like the forum is closed, but maybe you "break in" and see the read-only mode :)
Rowan
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Silly Miltank

View Profile WWW

« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2024 @169.48 »

i kind of *love* that the forum is closed on mondays, but i think merging the two concepts is a great idea.

like the forum is closed, but maybe you "break in" and see the read-only mode :)

Ohhh thats a silly idea, I love it  :transport:

Quote from: melooon
you: Hello fridge, I would like the milk please :cheesy:
fridge: Ooo u look so pretty, lemmy order more onions from Amazon
you: wait no! :drat:
fridge: i love you so much i ordered onions!

Capybara
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Large rodent

StatusCafe: capybara

View Profile WWW

Joined 2023!
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2024 @39.78 »

Maybe we will just stop calling it Monday and rename it "The Mysterious Closed Hours" :happy:

Maybe just call it "closing time" not unlike the Semisonic song...  :grin:

glitchlynx
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2024 @189.69 »

I really like that the forum closes down once a week. Sometimes it's a bit inconvenient, sure, but that friction makes it feel a bit more like an actual location, with a routine and a community, instead of just another place to find distraction. I get that a read only mode would be useful, particularly for posts about coding questions and resources... but a read only mode could only be used for passively reading and not for communicating... idk, there's an unintended consequence in there somewhere, I'm just not sure how to articulate it.  :ohdear:

On a related note, the 'thinking of joining the forum?' post mentions that the forum is closed on Monday, but not the timezone. Unless it's somewhere else and I'm just missing it (if so, sorry!) would it be possible to indicate the specific timezone that is being used? Or maybe what the hours are in a few different timezones? It is unusual for a website to be 'closed' at a set time like this one is, so it might be helpful if the schedule is more obvious to new people.

j
Full Member ⚓︎

bleh bleh *gargle gargle*

View Profile

« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2024 @313.38 »

Quote from: glitchlynx
would it be possible to indicate the specific timezone that is being used?

the forum uses swatch time, so a day starts and ends at 11PM in France
Paprika
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Go to the tanterwomps for they are lost in time

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!the one and only paprika!Giver of Many Welcomes!Joined 2024!
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2024 @585.07 »

Like others said, yes, I like the fact it's closed on mondays. It gives Melon a full day to work on the forum and it also gives us a break. Now we"re living in a world where our attention is asked almost everywhere all the time, having it closed is nice. Touching grass is a cool activity too !
xero333

StatusCafe: xero333
iMood: xero333
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile

Joined 2024!
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2024 @666.34 »

My 2 cents as a fairly new user. I found the closure on Monday's to be ... odd? I didn't understand the reasoning. The only thing I could think of was that perhaps it was due to costs of hosting the site.

Now that I understand it's to give the mods a break amongst other reasons, I do totally get it. However, it's quite jarring as someone with a terrible memory when I try to access the site on a Monday and then be deflated due to the fact I can't access it.

I think making the forum read only on a Monday, with posting / commenting options being disabled, is a good compromise.

:pc: Bring back the old web! :pc:
Lyonid
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Controlled Chaos ~ Please be kind.

View Profile WWW

« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2024 @862.51 »

YUS close it at random days! Close it on holidays! Close it for the whole year! (pls don't omg) The site is doing such a good job carrying all those silly requests of ours - it deserves a short break. The concept of closing days is something I find endearing. As others have pointed out, it's that ethereal feeling that's so comforting when I see the site close. That kind of deacceleration is something I truly value nowadays.

I do agree that giving the user some control over when it closes down for them would be pretty nice. Timezones can be annoying, and the global nature of the internet invites closing times according to your timezone. Not sure how the current implementation could handle that, though.

As for the read-only version, I would certainly welcome a super duper short summary of the discussions of the past week. Maybe have a very low-key overview of the latest threads to highlight what it was about and make us even more excited to be the first to jump back in. But that is definitely nothing I'd actually require. I love how things are now.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2024 @864.06 by Lyonid » Logged

xx <3
invader_gvim
Casual Poster ⚓︎

My husband kept loving me when I became a girl.

View Profile WWW

Sent On Earth By The Almighty TallestJoined 2024!
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2024 @35.42 »

I personally like how cool and unique and quirky being closed on Mondays is. :dog:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Forum feature requests and Ideas

Started by MelooonBoard ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions

Replies: 265
Views: 26533
Last post July 10, 2024 @965.09
by ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
xX Welcome to the Forum & Rules Xx

Replies: 0
Views: 6056
Last post November 14, 2021 @627.84
by Melooon
How to use a forum?! - A guide for those who have forgotten/never knew!

Replies: 2
Views: 3751
Last post April 22, 2023 @739.62
by Aloe

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi