Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
October 18, 2024 - @264.59 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Stars Posts: 28/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :4u: Love is not possession  :4u:
Halloween Topics! Gfx + Costumes, Decor + Crafts, Prep, Horror Movies, Spooky Songs! ~ E-Zine #2 is out now!

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☌ ∙ Melon's Laboratory
| | |-+  Where is the sky of a website?

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Where is the sky of a website?  (Read 2237 times)
DiffydaDude
Sr. Member ⚓︎

I FOUND A PONEH

⛺︎ My Room
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

Wishing you Happy Times when you're online!Bred :320% coolerFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2024 @913.73 »

Very Literal Things ahead
Websites dont have skies. A sky is just the place where light gets warped and turns different colors like blue or orange, and also where clouds happen. Websites dont have a sky because 1. you're looking at a 2D depiction of something straight on so you cant look up, and 2. websites cant support an atmosphere cuz they arent round. If you're website shows a sky, thats just artistic and not an actual sky. And also this question bugs me because why does a website even need a sky? And how can there even be one when its impossible? Why dont books have skies then?

Kallistero
Jr. Member ⚓︎

SOON.

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2024 @693.44 »

Different pages are oriented differently!  :ozwomp:

Sometimes, the sky is above the page, shining down on it like an atrium. Other times, the sky is technically below the page, glowing upward while the void reaches out into the infinity above. Still other times, you hold the content of the page in front of you, against the backdrop of the landscape of the world, or against the backdrop of just the sky. Some pages sit on the ground, and the sky is behind you while you look down on them!

Some lay inset into the ground, or inset into the sky! Some are on walls like a picture frame, or in the ceilings of caves, or floating freely in the water of the sea. It's true to the environment in which they're built, where you could say that it's free directionless space, or perhaps you could say that there's no space at all.  :omg:  Who knows?  :skull:

No pomegranates. If anyone messages me, and I found out they're a pomegranate, I will ask them to leave! :angry:
ajazz
Casual Poster ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2024 @50.64 »

conceptually i've always kind of thought the "sky" (in the sense of "the space connecting the known and unknown worlds," which is kind of how i think about the actual sky) is at the bottom of the site. a lot of sites that are really engaging are front-loaded with excitement, and the density actually thins out as you reach the bottom with more whitespace. especially on sites with embedded ambient music, i tend to feel like the sky is closer to the footer than the header.

hello, check out my website (silly) or My Website (serious)
b-lly

professional lurker :eyes:

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2024 @881.68 »

maybe I took the word "webpage" too literally, but webpages are like a piece of paper held in front of you, so a website is sort of like a book, and the Internet is a giant space library.

some webpages have an atmosphere around the paper (the sky), like this forum. some don't and are just page, like Wikipedia. no ground in sight!

the browser is a window in this universe (again very literal), but it can't show the space between websites.

HTML, CSS, JS etc. are like physics laws. this metaphor is getting out of hand...

I like everyone's view, I never thought to see it as top-down :)
:dog:
« Last Edit: October 08, 2024 @889.97 by b-lly » Logged

DiffydaDude
Sr. Member ⚓︎

I FOUND A PONEH

⛺︎ My Room
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

Wishing you Happy Times when you're online!Bred :320% coolerFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2024 @81.57 »

Different pages are oriented differently!  :ozwomp:

Sometimes, the sky is above the page, shining down on it like an atrium. Other times, the sky is technically below the page, glowing upward while the void reaches out into the infinity above. Still other times, you hold the content of the page in front of you, against the backdrop of the landscape of the world, or against the backdrop of just the sky. Some pages sit on the ground, and the sky is behind you while you look down on them!

Some lay inset into the ground, or inset into the sky! Some are on walls like a picture frame, or in the ceilings of caves, or floating freely in the water of the sea. It's true to the environment in which they're built, where you could say that it's free directionless space, or perhaps you could say that there's no space at all.  :omg:  Who knows?  :skull:

I already made a point abt that when i said that the "sky" of a website can be artistic but it still doesnt mean its an actual sky. The closest thing to a website having a sky would be the light from a computer monitor, and thats kind of a stretch. Maybe i just have a hard time understanding this idea because to me, the idea of a website having a sky is totally pointless and doesnt go anywhere for me.

Semper
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Lurking and learning

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: semper

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2024 @772.04 »

I'm coming in interpreting this thread as a thought exercise in conceptualizing the boundaries of a personal website, situating it in a physical place and contrary to how I have seen some people approach the current corporate internet as a sort of void (ie: Screaming into the void). If the sky is meant to represent the boundary of my website then it cannot be any thing I have coded on my website, and it is instead the edge where my site touches someone else's site. My website's sky is the outlinks I put on it, either through blog posts or through my /links page. This is where you leave my site's orbit, but not its influence. My site could very well be another star in someone else's outlink page (sky).

There is of course the aesthetic concept of the background being the sky of a website, and I have seen this being the case with how many people use star or cloud backgrounds on their personal sites. I even do this with my gradients, which act as simulations of an eternal twilight. I wanted to give mention of the aesthetics, since the Web Revival is in large part an art movement. The presence of the "background" as an element makes apparent how much websites have been art objects, even if they in the corporate web they have been rebranded as tools for commerce.

But yeah, I would say that the "sky"/boundary of my website is defined by the outlinks.

Feel free to climb the tree
Emmy02
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Hi! Make sure you drink water today!

⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!

View Profile WWW

Emmy AwardJoined 2024!
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2024 @29.12 »

I think the sky of a website is the header or the background, depending on what visuals you website has, like if the header is a huge graphic, that's the sky, and if they have no header or very small elements, than the background is the sky.

For most of my pages, I lack a header, so the skies of my website are the backgrounds.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Website size

Started by RolyBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 60
Views: 8955
Last post September 27, 2024 @517.45
by candycanearter07
Theme Poll - Do you like the forum theme?

Started by MelooonBoard ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions

Replies: 20
Views: 9355
Last post October 17, 2024 @830.53
by ヤーナム
Website example page

Started by Icey!Board ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links

Replies: 3
Views: 2270
Last post December 16, 2021 @285.10
by cinni

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi