Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
July 27, 2024 - @345.53 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 32/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :4u: ~~~~~~~~~~~  :4u:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  Does anyone else enjoy exploring the old net?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Does anyone else enjoy exploring the old net?  (Read 2268 times)
Phoenix
Casual Poster

View Profile

mail buddyJoined 2024!
« on: March 08, 2024 @966.81 »

Its been a new hobby on mine recently. It feels like exploring forgotten relics of the past and rediscovering old things. Anyone else do this?

"My Flames may flicker, but they Shall never die!"
lianna
Casual Poster ⚓︎

unassuming rabbit

XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2024 @21.32 »

I think that's one of the main pillars the web revival was built upon. In short - yes.

OneMillionFurries
Full Member ⚓︎

Gettin silly with it

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!:0 its one million furriesFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2024 @51.15 »

Yes absolutely! I have written multiple FA journals of my findings when exploring the old web- I should really get around to putting those as blog posts on my website.

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!a puppy for your travelsAlways My PalFirst 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!...
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2024 @609.50 »

I actually don't anymore  :omg: When I first got into web crafting I was super into exploring old GeoCities sites, getting ideas, stealing abandoned gifs etc - its where a lot of my early site's mood came from - but after a while I kinda felt like I'd gotten everything I needed form those old sites.

On a deeper level, I also find abandoned sites very sad. It makes me wonder who made them, where they are now, how their life turned out and if they remember this site. It makes me sad for the people who are falling into the past, and it makes me sad for the site because it's lost its keeper and its minder. I've seen enough abandoned homes  :sad:

That's not a suggestion to discourage people at all; I think you totally should enjoy exploring; and visiting these places does give them a moment of life. For me though I prefer to stick to active homepages these days  :4u:

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
wygolvillage
Sr. Member ⚓︎

meow!!!

StatusCafe: wygolvillage
iMood: wygolvillage

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!melonlands goth cat!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2024 @646.23 »

I enjoy looking at old sites, I usually like looking at adoptable pages, fanpages and photo galleries and stuff. One thing I like to do is looking up something on Gifcities and if I notice a unique or interesting gif I'll click it which will redirect me to an archive of the site it was hosted onftgr\yu7 (my cat just stepped on my keyboard and I don't have the heart to delete his contribution LOL) I usually end up really enjoying fantasy themed sites a lot and I take a lot of inspiration from sites where they conceive of each page/section as a location or place. "CLick this link to visit the mystical griffin forest" type of stuff, it's really endearing to me because it calls onto the viewer to immerse themselves in the fantasy of the creator... I dunno it's charming.

serenefork
Jr. Member ⚓︎

a Beanie Buddy!

StatusCafe: serenefork
iMood: serenefork

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2024 @858.09 »

I've always thought of old sites as completed pieces of artwork, or finished diaries. It's really fun to see how how people lived during that period of their life. :4u:

(he/they)

bingus_baby
Full Member ⚓︎

Baby of the bingus...

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2024 @896.75 »

I've seen enough abandoned homes 

This used to eat away at me a lot. I'd find a lovingly handcrafted site of some old person from the late 90s and wonder if they're even still alive. It did feel a bit sad thinking that way, but on the other hand it's not just a grave marker - it's also a memorial, almost. Many sites were lost to the sands of time, but many still exist. And for those, it's not just an abandoned home, but a time capsule cataloguing their adventures over the years. In particular I think of sites that hosted family photos, journal entries, and blog posts. I remember in particular a Star Wars fansite some guy made, and it mentioned how he met his wife through the fandom and the site featured lots of cat photos. Even if the owner is long gone or forgot the site, the memory lives on. That's pretty cool. As long as websites like Archive.org live on and us web archaeologists keep digging, the legacy of past webmasters lives on.

And to OP's question, not so much anymore. I've been busy with classes and creative projects. But every now and then I fall down the rabbit hole and I always am glad I did. Personally, the old web never gets old to me. There's always something new to find as long as you know where to look.

Phoenix
Casual Poster

View Profile

mail buddyJoined 2024!
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2024 @31.22 »

I actually don't anymore  :omg: When I first got into web crafting I was super into exploring old GeoCities sites, getting ideas, stealing abandoned gifs etc - its where a lot of my early site's mood came from - but after a while I kinda felt like I'd gotten everything I needed form those old sites.

On a deeper level, I also find abandoned sites very sad. It makes me wonder who made them, where they are now, how their life turned out and if they remember this site. It makes me sad for the people who are falling into the past, and it makes me sad for the site because it's lost its keeper and its minder. I've seen enough abandoned homes  :sad:

That's not a suggestion to discourage people at all; I think you totally should enjoy exploring; and visiting these places does give them a moment of life. For me though I prefer to stick to active homepages these days  :4u:

Ahh see I find there is some kind of beauty in it in a way. It reminds me of the digital equivalent of exploring abandoned towns. A strange fascination can be found in it for me

Seraphim
Casual Poster

It's dangerous to go alone! Take this.

View Profile

Joined 2024!
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2024 @442.66 »

Old websites are a lot like old paintings for me. Uniquely of the moment they were made in, with particular techniques of that time, and are the result of someone's labor of love. I will never forget, one day I was using Wiby's surprise me feature and it landed me on some kid's website, which was a shrine to his favorite dinosaur, ankylosaurus (also happens to be my favorite.) It was so in-depth, citing tons of books, and was made in '97. I like to think that kid went on to live a full life, and I feel honored that I got a glimpse into a pure expression of love in this small, intimate moment of his life. I hope he knows that it made someone smile many years later.

I still occasionally fire up Wiby to see what treasures are still out there, but these days my internet exploration is mostly following trails from interesting links on forums like Melonland.

:drat:
Phoenix
Casual Poster

View Profile

mail buddyJoined 2024!
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2024 @467.88 »

Old websites are a lot like old paintings for me. Uniquely of the moment they were made in, with particular techniques of that time, and are the result of someone's labor of love. I will never forget, one day I was using Wiby's surprise me feature and it landed me on some kid's website, which was a shrine to his favorite dinosaur, ankylosaurus (also happens to be my favorite.) It was so in-depth, citing tons of books, and was made in '97. I like to think that kid went on to live a full life, and I feel honored that I got a glimpse into a pure expression of love in this small, intimate moment of his life. I hope he knows that it made someone smile many years later.

I still occasionally fire up Wiby to see what treasures are still out there, but these days my internet exploration is mostly following trails from interesting links on forums like Melonland.

Its quite interesting seeing everyones little passion projects from back in the day. Its just a shame you dont get as much of that anymore with social medias

Paprika
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Go to the tanterwomps for they are lost in time

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!the one and only paprika!Giver of Many Welcomes!Joined 2024!
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2024 @495.63 »

I do it when I need to kill time.

I like the old, abandoned websites that are sometimes not working properly because HTML rules have changed or the hosting did an important change. Like several people in this topic, forgotten/abandoned sites are time capsules that I love looking at. It's like browsing your latest pictures on your phones and suddenly you find a folder with pictures from around 1950, a whole different mindeset, different cultures and I can't stop myself from imagining who was behind the website, what was their biggest dream in life, etc etc. I can spend a lot of hours with this.

And it's lowkey the idea behind my neocities, I hope that internet and NeoCities still exist in 2100+ and someone stumble upon my website and wonders who I am and what I like. Just a small blink of life in Internet's galaxy. I remember the Gwenpool comic-book where the main character breaks the fourth wall wondering who is reading and the year it is, saying that she's just part of life and hopes she can be read in a far future even if her series are finished. That's what I want for myself

:4u:
Phoenix
Casual Poster

View Profile

mail buddyJoined 2024!
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2024 @545.96 »

I do it when I need to kill time.

I like the old, abandoned websites that are sometimes not working properly because HTML rules have changed or the hosting did an important change. Like several people in this topic, forgotten/abandoned sites are time capsules that I love looking at. It's like browsing your latest pictures on your phones and suddenly you find a folder with pictures from around 1950, a whole different mindeset, different cultures and I can't stop myself from imagining who was behind the website, what was their biggest dream in life, etc etc. I can spend a lot of hours with this.

And it's lowkey the idea behind my neocities, I hope that internet and NeoCities still exist in 2100+ and someone stumble upon my website and wonders who I am and what I like. Just a small blink of life in Internet's galaxy. I remember the Gwenpool comic-book where the main character breaks the fourth wall wondering who is reading and the year it is, saying that she's just part of life and hopes she can be read in a far future even if her series are finished. That's what I want for myself

:4u:

How easy/hard is it to make a neocities site? Ive kinda been interested in the idea

Paprika
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Go to the tanterwomps for they are lost in time

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!the one and only paprika!Giver of Many Welcomes!Joined 2024!
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2024 @589.13 »

I didn't knew a single bit of HTML or CSS before trying my hand at neocities. I feel like it's something you have to try by yourself because it's a website for sure but it's YOUR website, there's no competition, no challenging between users. Make it look like what yiu want. It takes time, errors and patience to have it exactly like you want. I haven't built my website in a few days. The site is almost one year old and I'm still learning things. I do believe that in five years I will still be looking around and tinkering to make tests and learning more things about it and it's why it's fantastic to me.

As for myself I used sadgrl's layout builder as a starting point. I did a lot of testing, often screwed up and spent some time to fix my own errors. It took time but it was interesting and I learned something in the process. I also used MiMo to learn basics of coding. Then with Sadgrl and Mimo knowledge combined I built my website, picture by picture, letter by letter. It's really not hard but you gotta be interested by HTML to make it work. If that's not your cup'o tea, fine, there's a lot of blog/website builders around.

Keep in mind that a NeoCities should be thought like a personal space, build it yourself, for yourself. Don't compare your work to other sites, don't pressure yourself into building it like "I gotta be the very best with flawless design". Just be yourself, try, have fun ! To give you an idea, my Neocities has 5 157 updates which means I made changes more than 5 000 times and most of it was just dumb correcting or several touch-ups for grammar and spelling. Now I use Notepad++ before putting the page live and I won't make thousands of updates anymore, not really proud of myself there but it's part of learning something new I guess !

Try it, look around, be patient with yourself and be free ! Website/Blog/etc should remain fun and interesting ! :ozwomp:
PurpleHello98
Full Member ⚓︎

'Cause I'm your girl, hold me baby <3

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: purplehello98

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2024 @811.22 »

I do from time to time! I especially join seeing old k-pop sites from when barely anyone in the English-speaking world knew of k-pop compared to today. I also like a lot of these 90s/early 00s k-pop groups so it helps to see fan sites for groups I like! As today fan sites in general, but especially for groups that aren't on the top currently, are few and far between.

"...And we are not angels, to be comforted by seeing the means for which everything is sent."
-Elizabeth Gaskell, Wives and Daughters

Capybara
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Large rodent

StatusCafe: capybara

View Profile WWW

Joined 2023!
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2024 @141.56 »

I've done this since I was a kid and probably will never stop! Sometimes it makes me sad for the days I was too young to experience, though  :sad:

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Daniel's Network Search (Discontinued)

Started by MelooonBoard ⚛︎ ∙ MelonLand Projects

Replies: 3
Views: 2249
Last post March 19, 2022 @479.06
by Karius
NetSpeed

Started by m15oBoard ⚽︎ ∙ Arcade

Replies: 12
Views: 3091
Last post December 13, 2021 @946.64
by m15o
Theme Poll - Do you like the forum theme?

Started by MelooonBoard ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions

Replies: 14
Views: 5496
Last post April 28, 2024 @87.23
by Skykristal

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi