Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
July 27, 2024 - @155.02 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 27/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :4u: ~~~~~~~~~~~  :4u:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Art & Games
| |-+  ➶ ∙ Art Gallery
| | |-+  Discovering Art

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Discovering Art  (Read 1087 times)
KruziDula
Newbie ⚓︎

Hello :^)

iMood: Kruzidula

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« on: March 16, 2024 @502.15 »

Greetings  :cheesy: !

I come here writing in the hopes for discovering interesting artists and their work, I am curious what inspires other artists :)

I'll share some for start
One of my favorites is Gabríela Friðriksdóttir (website: http://www.gabriela.is/ )

I Adore her videos and photos from around 2005.
The doughy people scare me, imagining the smell of raw dough in that context makes me a bit sick.
Also love the black nasty goopy goops, here and there.

Another I hold dear is Einar Jónsson (1874) (website: http://www.lej.is/en/)
He did a lot of amazing pieces of sculptures, which can be veiwed in a museum near Hallgrímskirkju (Reykjavík, Iceland)
Hes an absolute Icelandic Classic

An artist I discovered online in the deviant ages is Silicon65 (website: https://silicon65.neocities.org/)
His art I find to be raw and gentle, like a piece of meat, literally.
The horror this artist creates is unlike anything i've seen, its amazing :D

I'd want to share more (maybe those that are more in the online scene) but i think this is good for now, I hope that you share some artists with me that you like ^_^
Thank you and bye bye

-Krummi

Love and Care, ok :melon::dog:!
ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Here be dragons

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2024 @557.03 »

Inspiration? I've so many :).
I love older fairytale illustrations:
Frau Holle, by Ubbeholde

Koshchey the invincible by Bilibin:

I love to watch at impressionist paintings. They are much better when you see them IRL, but they still work on the screen:

Alley in Overseen, by Max Liebermann.

I also love abstract and concrete art. Do you want some recommendations? :)

night-at-the-musian
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Rule 1: Throw the bone!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2024 @114.41 »

Here's a bunch of super cool artists that inspire me!

Ivan Seal: Painter. Works with abstract imagery. Most famous works are the album covers for Everywhere at the End of Time.

Don Hertzfeldt: Animator. Postmodernist. Most famous work is his film It's Such a Beautiful Day.

Rajie Cook: Graphic Designer. Most famous work is the U.S. Department of Transportation pictographs.

Mark and Jeffrey Blacklaw: Painter and musician, respectively. The two posted their art on their tumblr, Stills of Gay Life. If you remember this painting, it's Mark's.

Tiny Roman Appreciator

KruziDula
Newbie ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2024 @688.88 »

Inspiration? I've so many :).
I love older fairytale illustrations:
Frau Holle, by Ubbeholde

Koshchey the invincible by Bilibin:

I love to watch at impressionist paintings. They are much better when you see them IRL, but they still work on the screen:

Alley in Overseen, by Max Liebermann.

I also love abstract and concrete art. Do you want some recommendations? :)

wow, such wonderful works <3! Ivan Bilibin I like too, I think I used to own postcards with his work, but I don't know where that is now.
Unlocking this memory i was reminded of the works of Viktor Vasnetsov, another Russian artist that did a lot of fantasy stuff. This piece is my favorite

Sirin and Alkonost. Song of Joy and Sorrow
(I love anything harpies and sphinxes related :D )
In my search of this piece I discovered a pretty nice online collection of Russian artists and their works, available both in Russian and English https://my.tretyakov.ru/app/gallery/?lang=ru Note that the Russian version has a lot more works than the English one ^_^

Id also love to see some abstract and concrete art from you! (i am especially curious about the concrete art)

ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Here be dragons

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2024 @755.57 »

wow, such wonderful works <3! Ivan Bilibin I like too, I think I used to own postcards with his work, but I don't know where that is now.
Unlocking this memory i was reminded of the works of Viktor Vasnetsov, another Russian artist that did a lot of fantasy stuff. This piece is my favorite

Sirin and Alkonost. Song of Joy and Sorrow
(I love anything harpies and sphinxes related :D )

Splendid, splendid! This one, reminds me in turn, to the Sirens of Waterhouse:

Id also love to see some abstract and concrete art from you! (i am especially curious about the concrete art)

Hehe.
The Victory of Boogie Woogie by Mondrian is, imho, a possible gateway to abstract art:

It might not tell you much if you see it as a scan, but this thing is hanging in the dutch museum like in a shrine, and seeing the room around it helps, imho, a lot:

Mondrian drew it after nazi germany was defeated in world war 2, and knowing this, you might see how lighthearted these squares are :).

------------------

Miró has some wonderful paintings. His ouvre is swapping around between abstract art and surrealism. Again, it helps a lot to see them in relation to the room

------------------

Concrete art tries to escape from the world by breaking down reality into smallest fragments. The resulting images are both a representation and a fragment of reality, yet standing completely for themself. I tried to do something similar with some of my games. A good example to illustrate this is this image by Gottfried Jäger:

The artist worked with multiple exposure to light sensitive material. While the motive is unclear, and nothing is depicted (the big difference to abstract art!), the image still breathes in our world.

Other artists move even further away:

(Constant Yellow, Frühtrunk). Can you see the difference to the boogie woogie above? This one is out of the world. It doesn't represent a thing, except itself - yet, it links back to reality :).

Finding concrete art online isn't that easy - many artists don't have good scans online, but with some, you are lucky:

Nicholson Ben - Still Life (more here)

« Last Edit: March 17, 2024 @757.55 by ThunderPerfectWitchcraft » Logged

ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Here be dragons

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2024 @783.59 »

Oh, for something completely different: While I know that he was extremely problematic, I find the works of Herge very inspiring, and attempted to rely on them while overcoming the colonialist/orientalist aspects when doing "The Vaults of Minos". They were also one of the central inspirations for "Indiana Jones" :).

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!a puppy for your travelsAlways My PalFirst 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!...
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2024 @735.08 »

@ThunderPerfectWitchcraft Tintin is great, I think Iv read just about every book, our school had a mountain of them! :grin:

Ooph, I dunno, my mood on art changes so often and a lot of the works that really inspire me are pretty standard so I'm sure everyone knows them - a few artists/works do keep coming around for me.

Matisse - he's part of that impressionist gang, but his work always felt more hip than the average impressionist.

Rothko - Oooo, so moody, like windows into places you never left!

The design work of Ettore Sottsass is always super inspiring; plus he was a big fan of pasta apparently, which is something I can relate too.

Susan Kare partly designed all the 80s mac icons and the whole mood of 80/90s PC ui's - her contribution to modern culture is still underrated.

Persian carpets in general - they don't have attributed artists, but we had a few in our house and I always found them very enjoyable - the idea is the each one is supposed to be a miniature garden of paradise.

Jim Sanborn - Iv encountered him a few times and I think he's very much responsible for expanding my idea of what can be art, he uses encryption, atom bombs, projection, landscape and archeology all as aspects of art.

Hito Steyerl - Cant have an art list without Hito! I know her writing is quite well known to web revival peeps, but her visual art is equally fascinating!

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
KruziDula
Newbie ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2024 @16.35 »

Wow to both posts you shared, ThunderPerfectWitchcraft! When you mentioned concrete art my mind immediately went to the material itself, but is this the concept of concrete?!
Herge I like too, but as you say very problematic. French comics of that time are very nostalgic, I remember as a kid I loved Marsupilami

to me this was the most comfortable den/bed/place i had seen, always wanted to sleep in it

Hehe.
The Victory of Boogie Woogie by Mondrian is, imho, a possible gateway to abstract art:
this one making my heart a bit brighter  :cheesy:

thank you again! I really enjoy the work you have shared

Misanthropic Monster™
Sr. Member ⚓︎

He/Him/They/Them

iMood: Misanthropic
PicMix: BitterGoblin

View Profile WWW

beetlejuice beetlejuice beetlejuice!bugpostingJoined 2024!
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2024 @818.98 »

Wow to both posts you shared, ThunderPerfectWitchcraft! When you mentioned concrete art my mind immediately went to the material itself, but is this the concept of concrete?!
Herge I like too, but as you say very problematic. French comics of that time are very nostalgic, I remember as a kid I loved Marsupilami

to me this was the most comfortable den/bed/place i had seen, always wanted to sleep in it
this one making my heart a bit brighter  :cheesy:

thank you again! I really enjoy the work you have shared

I loved Marsupilami as a kid too, mostly the Raw Toonage Disney version which I was mostly familiar with but also the original comics too!

e-
Jr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2024 @794.28 »

Found this in the back of a gallery yesterday and it made me cry.

check out the rest of her stuff it's great.
ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Here be dragons

View Profile WWW

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2024 @459.68 »

Dear Melonians,

yesterday, I saw this wonderful documentary on the german/french culture channel, also available in english:
https://www.arte.tv/en/videos/097590-000-A/joan-mitchell

It shows a lot of her paintings, explains the art-historic relations, and the emotional backgrounds. The whole thing is accompanied by people close to her, and shows footage of some quite hilarious interviews as well.

I'm not sure about the limitations regarding access from outside the EU, but I recommend to try. Its available till the 05. of August. If you want to see it and can't for access limitations (or since it went down) just give me a message ;).

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

HIRA's Artworks

Started by MemoryBoard ➶ ∙ Art Gallery

Replies: 14
Views: 3647
Last post June 13, 2023 @143.22
by xandra
‿̩͙‿̩̩̥͙̽‿̩͙ urgonic's awesome artworks ‿̩̥̩‿̩̩̥͙̽‿̩͙

Started by sansBoard ➶ ∙ Art Gallery

Replies: 2
Views: 2054
Last post December 29, 2021 @506.89
by xandra
sleepyXTRA - Inside The Mind of The Lo-Fi Artist - released FREE!

Started by ellievoyydBoard © ∙ Music Room

Replies: 0
Views: 1489
Last post January 21, 2022 @429.43
by ellievoyyd

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi