Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 30, 2024 - @492.15 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Four Star Posts: 54/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ozwomp: Reminder: Forum messages stay readable for years! Keep yours high quality! :ozwomp:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ☺︎ ∙ General Interests
| | |-+  anime conventions - what do you think about them?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: anime conventions - what do you think about them?  (Read 338 times)
orb
« on: March 29, 2024 @674.68 »

seeing as a LOT of anime conventions in the USA are this weekend, i thought why not make a topic.

i really love anime conventions, i think they are really fun and i love buying stuff. i am going to one tomorrow with my cosplay and ita bag prepared, and i am really excited, but also scared because i don't have any friends to go with :( but itll be cool and fun anyways hopefully, i plan to spend so much money
what are you guys's experience with anime conventions? do you cosplay? do you have any good OR bad experiences? tell me about it...
BlazingCobaltX
Full Member ⚓︎

StatusCafe: blazingcobaltx

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2024 @687.37 »

I've been twice, to the same convention in 2016 and 2017. The first time was very exciting and I had a lot of fun interacting with random people over their cosplays (I was in my one and only cosplay as a Team Aqua Grunt). The second time I went I realised the things they schedule are exactly the same, and it wasn't as exciting as the first. The only consistently fun thing is the artist alley.

Maybe it was that specific convention being boring, but before COVID I went to a comic con and found myself equally bored quickly. It seems like it's a thing that's mostly made fun by the company you have rather than the actual events offered. At this point I have grown out of anime and wouldn't even recognise most of the things being sold.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024 @772.58 by BlazingCobaltX » Logged
Nikodile
Casual Poster ⚓︎

loosey goosey

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2024 @755.87 »

We go to ACEN (Rosemont, IL, USA) whenever we can. They're fun, I never understood going for all 3 days though honestly. It's best to go one day, soak it all in, go to the panels you want, check out all the booths, see what else is out there and call it there. It can be very tiring.

Love seeing booths that offer very obscure things like old anime VHS tapes of shows/movies that are sorta lost media.

serenefork
Jr. Member ⚓︎

a Beanie Buddy!

StatusCafe: serenefork
iMood: serenefork

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2024 @770.63 »

I used to go to ACen when I was a kid! I really love conventions, it's really fun to spend time surrounded by people who love some of the same things, and it's fun to just spend some time really delving into a world full of something you enjoy! I've only gone full weekends a few times, and I think going just one day is fine, but I prefer going the full time if I can! There is always so much to do that I never feel bored and it feels easier to talk to people knowing that they have at least one thing in common with me!

I'm no longer anywhere near ACen so I've been trying to find which convention is now closest to me so that I can start going again.  :transport:

(he/they)

night-at-the-musian
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Rule 1: Throw the bone!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2024 @860.53 »

I LOVE going to anime conventions! I tend to visit ones in Atlanta that are mid-range in popularity, like Momocon, Anime Weekend, and Atlanta Comic Con. These cons are tiny compared to Dragoncon, which is the biggest con in Atlanta.

I have a page on my website that's only accessible via QR codes I pass out at the cons I attend! https://natmsearch.neocities.org/wheresjed

Saving up to go to Momocon or Anime Weekend later this year! :4u:

Tiny Roman Appreciator

Paprika
Full Member ⚓︎

Go to the tanterwomps for they are lost in time

View Profile WWW

Giver of Many Welcomes!Joined 2024!
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2024 @862.18 »

It's pretty cool, I've been to a handful of them in my country but since 2017/2018 it's been more about selling you funko pops and barely-related merchandise and less about the cosplay and hobbies. It's not all bad but there's definitely a decline in quality where I live. I'd love to see a very big one somewhere, one day !
itspencilz
Jr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2024 @661.72 »

I went to one exactly One time (Anime Detour, actually) all the way back in 2013. It wasn't a great experience, not because of the convention itself but because I had to be chaperoned by my parents the whole time (I was fairly young and didn't drive, still don't). Also it was supposed to be a big thing with friends but nobody else bought tickets in time so that kinda ruined the fun for me.  :drat:

Other than that I've never really had the money or means to go to any. I definitely plan to change that once I move, since starting my art business tabling at conventions has been on my list of things to do. Plus I'll actually have friends to come with me (doing stuff like this by myself doesn't seem as enjoyable).

Vroom vroom
bingus_baby
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Baby of the bingus...

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2024 @985.51 »

Mixed feelings. I LOVE to cosplay, and buy anime merch. And cons usually have cool panels that I enjoy going to. But they end up being so expensive just going to them! Gas, tickets, parking, food... By the time I see anime merch I wanna buy, I'm already broke! Plus, the vendors selling obviously Aliexpress junk doesn't make me feel much better. And the cons where I live, the big ones are during the summer when I'm out of town, and the small ones are either very far or a bit too small and unestablished for my liking. (Badly organized events give me MAJOR anxiety ;w;) Main exception is that I live 40 minutes from a big con in my state and I make sure to always go every year. The artist alley there is unmatched, and there's a couple artists who I have to see every year and blow my life savings on lmao

I had some semi-bad experiences with cons in recent years, but NOTHING can get in the way of the feeling of dressing up as a semi-obscure character and getting recognized!! I went as Riamu to a con this past winter and even ppl who didn't recognize me stopped me and complimented my outfit! When it comes to cons, my favorite part is the cosplay for sure. I know many people think cosplay is cringe, but I think those people don't understand the euphoria of feeling like a frilly-frilly sparkle-sparkle anime girl. It's freeing. I think it's what humans are made for. (Being anime girls.)

cybherspace
Casual Poster ⚓︎

cruisin' the webz

StatusCafe: cybherspace
iMood: cybherspace

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2024 @757.03 »

I just got back from one of those~!  :loved:
I LOVE anime conventions. We live outside a bigger-ish city and we always go the extra "mile" so to speak and get a hotel. If you can afford it, that is by far the best way to experience an anime convention.
Each year the experience is slightly different for me based on what I want to focus on. There's enough to do that you can never do everything each year. I do have a couple things I do every year, though. I dress up in J-Fashion and I go to the artists alley and exhibit hall.
Last year, I focused mostly on going to panels. I went to a crazy number of them - at least 15 or so? I was hopping from panel to panel constantly. I had fun with it that way!
This year I hit up the Friday and Saturday night raves. I am not normally a rave person, but the one at my con has a lot of space and plenty of comfy seating to get away from things when I need, as well as lots of free water. I also met up with some friends at the con and did see a couple panels, as well as a fashion show!
My only complaint this year is that none of the vendors carried the Dungeon Meshi manga for some reason?? Or maybe they were sold out.

Email me @ cybherspace@protonmail.com!

neoratz
Jr. Member ⚓︎

ଘ(+ ໖_໖) tastes funny

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
iMood: neoratz

View Profile WWW

Won the 2023 Profile Design Contest!First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2024 @997.23 »

i go to Otakon every year i can, it's my favorite anime con and they have a great system for volunteers... >:-) i always have this problem where i will plan out a bunch of panels and only end up going to 1 or 2 lol. i used to cosplay but overtime it became more tedious than fun for me so i just dress in my funnest non-cosplay outfits instead. as for spending i dont usually spend much but sometimes i will buy a couple things from the artists and dealers... usually artists but i love digging through those huge dealers bins for keychains that are reasonably priced. a lot of dealers charge way too much, like $50 for a $10 prize figure, so it ends up feeling like a waste of money >_<
(doing stuff like this by myself doesn't seem as enjoyable).
going with friends makes the experience much better for me too, the years i was alone tended to feel lacking :P i like spending lots of time in the dealers/artists rooms and it's not as fun when you can't point out random stuff to your friends or go explore with them in general hahaha

i promised i'm not alone in heaven... ˖˚
cybherspace
Casual Poster ⚓︎

cruisin' the webz

StatusCafe: cybherspace
iMood: cybherspace

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2024 @597.01 »

going with friends makes the experience much better for me too, the years i was alone tended to feel lacking :P i like spending lots of time in the dealers/artists rooms and it's not as fun when you can't point out random stuff to your friends or go explore with them in general hahaha

If you like tabletop gaming there's often hosted play sessions of different TTRPGs and I have heard that is a good way to meet people. I haven't tried it myself but maybe something to consider!
If you go with a goal in mind (like seeing lots of panels or just doing a lot of people watching) and even gamify it a little you might have fun! I think it depends on the individual.

Email me @ cybherspace@protonmail.com!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Theme Poll - Do you like the forum theme?

Started by MelooonBoard ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions

Replies: 14
Views: 5039
Last post April 28, 2024 @87.23
by Skykristal
What if Caramelldansen was an actual anime?

Started by NeonriserBoard ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema

Replies: 1
Views: 1191
Last post October 10, 2022 @734.02
by heavenONLINE
Whats your life like? (Time Capsule Thread)

Started by MelooonBoard ☺︎ ∙ General Interests

Replies: 35
Views: 3232
Last post April 10, 2024 @598.32
by Misanthropic Monster™

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi