Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
May 01, 2024 - @260.75 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Four Star Posts: 64/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :dive: Are u having fun?? :dive:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  Nekoweb, a Neocities Alternative

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Nekoweb, a Neocities Alternative  (Read 587 times)
LegenDarius
Newbie ⚓︎

Darius is an idea, but there is no real me

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« on: April 09, 2024 @279.97 »

Hello! A couple of weeks ago I discovered Nekoweb, it's like a Neocities alternative with some of the features from Neocities being on there but has some special features of its own as well.

Not going to write down the pros and cons but it was extremely easy to export my site from Neocities and host it on Nekoweb. Basically only took a couple of clicks and changing neocities links to nekoweb links:

My site on Neocities: https://dariusaur.neocities.org/
My site on Nekoweb: https://dariusaur.nekoweb.org/

I'm not pro or against any of the two, and i'm not here to promote Nekoweb, just found it very cool that more people are making Neocities-like sites instead of just new social media platforms. Web is more fun this way!
Daryl Sun
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2024 @642.59 »

oerrorpage
Casual Poster ⚓︎

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
iMood: oerrorpsades

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2024 @698.92 »

did u know that neocities resurrected webrings?

de idiot of dis 4um
Kallistero
Jr. Member ⚓︎

SOON.

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2024 @737.27 »

As I understand it, site portability is exactly why Neocities is built the way it is!  :pc:  I know that Nekoweb is a little catty ( :grin: ) toward Neocities, but that's playing the part of a competitor, even though it's built with a clear love for what Neocities has been doing.

Part of why Nekoweb exists seems to be the belief that there SHOULD be more alternatives! There's Neocities, there's Github Pages, there's Angelfire, Tilde Town, Byethost, the extended options of free Web hosts are sort of limited and not really 1-to-1 with each other. Github Pages offers much of what Neocities does & doesn't, and probably the biggest difference for someone host shopping is its presentation. Github Pages is for professional coders to showcase their projects for potential business associates, customers, or userbases, not a medium for artistic expression!  :tongue:  Oh, but it is! It doesn't really lean into comparison with Neocities, though, because Neocities culture visibly rejects the wider cultural perception of what makes a site professional.

That's a big part of what Nekoweb is built on, the rejection of the idea that a Web page should conform to "professional" sensibilities. The front page presents it more proudly than probably any other Web host does. Neocities fostered the culture, and Nekoweb is an expression of what I believe is the highest form of engagement, which is to create something new that's inspired by their forebears. The different hosts are both complements and compliments to one another.  :4u:
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024 @977.06 by Kallistero » Logged

No pomegranates. If anyone messages me, and I found out they're a pomegranate, I will ask them to leave! :angry:
Kolo
Jr. Member ⚓︎

StatusCafe: kolo

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2024 @864.35 »

I think Nekoweb is really cute and I'm happy it exists, but the whole cursor-chatting thing terrifies me to no end so I'm too intimidated to use it or browse Nekoweb sites LOL. I didn't know about it initially and when I saw another cursor I completely panicked and closed out of the tab and my reaction hasn't changed much... I do think it's fun/creative as an idea but it's not for me.

⋆。˚⋆.°˖✧ but even in a box am i dreaming / of a galaxy of stars above my ceiling ✧˖°.⋆ ˚。⋆

icon by dovalore
Icey!
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pro Bug Finder!OG! Joined 2021!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2024 @984.86 »

This is a cute lil platform! :loved:

As a side note we needed competition against neocities for a long time now and I am glad that this exists, neocities has been void of updates and improvements for long enough with no true alternative to it. I hope that nekoweb has or will improve on which neocities lacks. I also hope that having alternatives will finally motivate kyle to actually update neocities...

Keep the momentum going folks! This is a good thing!

Edit: I gave it a try and it's about as good as regular old neocities, the only thing that it has over neocities for me is that you can use any file type without having to pay. I also turned my nekoweb site into a sort of "public preview" of any major or minor update to let people see it before I publish it to neocities. You can view it here: https://icelogist.nekoweb.org!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024 @656.84 by Icey! » Logged

:ozwomp: my beloved

wygolvillage
Sr. Member ⚓︎

meow!!!

StatusCafe: wygolvillage
iMood: wygolvillage

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2024 @996.33 »

The features and stuff are great but I find the "Neocities-bashing" right on the front page to leave a little bit of a bad taste in my mouth, especially since a lot of the audience they're aiming for are probably Neocities users, lol. It might have just hit me wrong though, I think having more hosting platforms in the online ecosystem is a good thing overall.

Grimlock
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Harley | He/they |

StatusCafe: dinosaur
iMood: Grimlock

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2024 @98.36 »

it seems cool! but it seems users with sites pushing the free neocities storage limit basically can't transfer their site over... imo if they're going to be that catty towards neocities as a competitor they should maybe consider that. not everyone is going to want 2 sites in the first place...

oerrorpage
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2024 @214.91 »

byethost isnt static...

de idiot of dis 4um
lime360
Full Member ⚓︎

hi.

StatusCafe: lime360
iMood: lime360
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2024 @268.45 »

i've moved my site to nekoweb on febuary, pretty cool that they have a feature to import a site from a zip file.
they've recently added a linux enviorment that makes it easy to build a site with an ssg!

speaking of webrings, there is one dedicated to nekoweb!

LegenDarius
Newbie ⚓︎

Darius is an idea, but there is no real me

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2024 @435.57 »

The features and stuff are great but I find the "Neocities-bashing" right on the front page to leave a little bit of a bad taste in my mouth, especially since a lot of the audience they're aiming for are probably Neocities users, lol. It might have just hit me wrong though, I think having more hosting platforms in the online ecosystem is a good thing overall.

yeah that one was a little weird to me. and i saw a user being proud that they completely transferred from neocities to nekoweb ... so i thought could there be drama? lol

i didn't but i wouldn't be surprised!
arcus
Jr. Member ⚓︎

StatusCafe: arcus

View Profile WWW

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2024 @490.79 »

I just signed up to test it. It's a nice host for what it is. I like that the default HTML file is mobile friendly out the box. The text editor is more advanced than other online editors I've seen on other free hosts. Though, there's an odd gap with the cursor (might be because I have some things disabled?)

One gripe I have with it: The front page is misleading. It claims that it is tracking free, but since it uses Cloudflare for its CAPTCHA when signing up, it technically isn't. Cloudflare's privacy policy claims that it may use tracking cookies. I don't think that's an issue for 90% of the people using the site, but it is misleading. This also makes signing up impossible without Javascript, unfortunately.

There's Neocities, there's Github Pages, [...]

There's also Ichi, it's by the same dev as Status Cafe and Smol Pub. It's open source too.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024 @493.40 by arcus » Logged

oerrorpage
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2024 @848.76 »

i've moved my site to nekoweb on febuary, pretty cool that they have a feature to import a site from a zip file.
they've recently added a linux enviorment that makes it easy to build a site with an ssg!

speaking of webrings, there is one dedicated to nekoweb!

yeah i know, i tried nekoweb.

de idiot of dis 4um
oerrorpage
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2024 @850.63 »

I just signed up to test it. It's a nice host for what it is. I like that the default HTML file is mobile friendly out the box. The text editor is more advanced than other online editors I've seen on other free hosts. Though, there's an odd gap with the cursor (might be because I have some things disabled?)

One gripe I have with it: The front page is misleading. It claims that it is tracking free, but since it uses Cloudflare for its CAPTCHA when signing up, it technically isn't. Cloudflare's privacy policy claims that it may use tracking cookies. I don't think that's an issue for 90% of the people using the site, but it is misleading. This also makes signing up impossible without Javascript, unfortunately.

There's also Ichi, it's by the same dev as Status Cafe and Smol Pub. It's open source too.

ichi does not work, i keep getting an error. "exit status 4"

de idiot of dis 4um
arcus
Jr. Member ⚓︎

StatusCafe: arcus

View Profile WWW

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2024 @915.89 »

ichi does not work, i keep getting an error. "exit status 4"

Try using an alphanumeric password. If it still doesn't work, email the dev: https://ichi.city/help

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

I need help with neocities

Started by Kane VirkutisBoard ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!

Replies: 1
Views: 1313
Last post February 25, 2022 @609.50
by Melooon
Where are IPFS backups on Neocities? ANSWERED!

Started by ellievoyydBoard ⁇ ∙ Tutorials

Replies: 3
Views: 1758
Last post March 17, 2022 @162.86
by PAINTKILLER
Neocities on Polygon!

Started by MelooonBoard ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links

Replies: 9
Views: 1909
Last post June 18, 2023 @827.12
by Melooon

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi