Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
July 27, 2024 - @164.88 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 28/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ha: :pc: Hello Melonland! :pc: :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ☺︎ ∙ General Interests
| | |-+  Mr Bones

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Mr Bones  (Read 720 times)
Misanthropic Monster™
Sr. Member ⚓︎

He/Him/They/Them

iMood: Misanthropic
PicMix: BitterGoblin

View Profile WWW

beetlejuice beetlejuice beetlejuice!bugpostingJoined 2024!
« on: May 04, 2024 @770.23 »

I don't know if anyone here remembers Mr Bones candy? It's a candy from circa 1978-1994, I remember wanting it whenever I would go into a store, despite the fact I never liked hard candy (I still don't) I'd always pester my grandmother for Mr Bones! I mostly just loved assembling him into his skeleton-self (as all his candy bones came lose in the pack) and then keeping him in the neat little plastic coffin the candy came in. I would keep Mr Bones so long the candy would eventually break down and become a sticky mouldy mess.

Well I found out that ReAction (the retro-styled figure line from Super7) had released a fully articulated figurine of Mr Bones, unfortunately, the toys do not come with the miniature plastic caskets that fans know and love, but the figures are housed in clear coffin-shaped plastic bubbles, and an illustration of the coffin appears on the cards. I am super happy to have found this, and feel extreme amounts of nostalgia whenever I look at him. It's fun to know that this is my most permanent Mr Bones, he won't go mouldy and sticky!

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!a puppy for your travelsAlways My PalFirst 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!...
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2024 @787.37 »

Iv never heard of these before but I love Mr Bones  :dl: He looks so inviting and welcoming (and real!)  :ozwomp:

There's something very specific about 70/80s cheap plastic colors and collectables that I find really fascinating. And there's always something mysterious about novelty candy, like it's imbued with magic powers that are just waiting to be unlocked.

I tried looking up any youtube videos that showed the actual candy but all I found was this weird video where a guy with really heavy breathing ordered some mr bones coffins on ebay then takes one into a dark closet with him and the video ends :drat:

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
wygolvillage
Sr. Member ⚓︎

meow!!!

StatusCafe: wygolvillage
iMood: wygolvillage

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!melonlands goth cat!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2024 @802.50 »

That's so cool! Looks like the sort of thing I would have absolutely loved as a kid.

xixxii
Jr. Member ⚓︎

they/them

View Profile WWW

the xixxiiJoined 2024!
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2024 @852.40 »

what cute colors! i've never seen that before, but i dig it. it looks like something bogleech would like, he's really into monster toys and halloween and such... definitely recommend his site if you also enjoy that kind of thing in general!

Paprika
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Go to the tanterwomps for they are lost in time

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!the one and only paprika!Giver of Many Welcomes!Joined 2024!
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2024 @896.79 »

that looks pretty cool, I'd love to taste the candy version !
BUTCHBONEZ
Full Member ⚓︎

certified analog horror junkie

SpaceHey: Friend Me!

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!Local GothJoined 2024!
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2024 @897.15 »

Those look awesome , I might have to sift through the web to find this! :ozwomp:

you are safe here, traveler

HY / XE / FANG
Icey!
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Any/All

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pro Bug Finder!OG! Joined 2021!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2024 @966.17 »

Oh Fun! Too bad I never got to be born early enough to try it. :sad:

:ozwomp: my beloved

Misanthropic Monster™
Sr. Member ⚓︎

He/Him/They/Them

iMood: Misanthropic
PicMix: BitterGoblin

View Profile WWW

beetlejuice beetlejuice beetlejuice!bugpostingJoined 2024!
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2024 @727.95 »

That's so cool! Looks like the sort of thing I would have absolutely loved as a kid.

Iv never heard of these before but I love Mr Bones  :dl: He looks so inviting and welcoming (and real!)  :ozwomp:

There's something very specific about 70/80s cheap plastic colors and collectables that I find really fascinating. And there's always something mysterious about novelty candy, like it's imbued with magic powers that are just waiting to be unlocked.

I tried looking up any youtube videos that showed the actual candy but all I found was this weird video where a guy with really heavy breathing ordered some mr bones coffins on ebay then takes one into a dark closet with him and the video ends :drat:

Absolutely! There's definitely a dream-like quality to '80s and early '90s toys that lingers with me till this day. It's why when I saw ReAction had made a Mr Bones figurine I knew I had to have it! Especially as I'd spent so much of my childhood keeping the candy Mr Bones till it rotted away haha this figurine just felt so personal to me (though I am sure lot's of kids had the same experience and wanted this collectable for the same reason!)

I watched the YT video and honestly it made me laugh, the ending was so anticlimactic, you didn't even get to see the coffin glow and it just abruptly ends with him still in the closet heavy breathing!! Haha!

I tried to have a look for the candy as well, but all I could find was this video on TikTok of what seems to be a modern knock-off of the original Mr Bones... but at least this video gives you an idea of what it was like, you'd literally assemble the bones like that and then eat him or you could just eat his bones from the coffin!

what cute colors! i've never seen that before, but i dig it. it looks like something bogleech would like, he's really into monster toys and Halloween and such... definitely recommend his site if you also enjoy that kind of thing in general!

Bogleech is a site I go to from time to time because I love their articles and photos of their collection - as a collector of monsters/Halloween stuff/'80s & '90s stuff I love seeing other people's vast collections and their stuff never disappoints! I've not visited their site in a long time though so thankyou for reminding me it exists!!!

that looks pretty cool, I'd love to taste the candy version !

The last time I remember trying this candy I was probably about 6 years old, and I'm not really into hard candy, but I recall it tasted like Candy Love Hearts - that sort of sour/sweet mix with a hard but powdery candy crunch. Totally not my bag but anyone who loves Candy Hearts or those edible candy bracelets would have loved Mr Bones candy. 

Those look awesome , I might have to sift through the web to find this! :ozwomp:

This is where I got mine! Super7 ReAction Store

Oh Fun! Too bad I never got to be born early enough to try it. :sad:

That is too bad, but you can replicate the flavor with those candy love hearts or edible bracelets at least so you know what it tasted like, cos it was VERY much like those if I remember correctly.

Does anyone here have any candy they remember from their childhood that doesn't exist anymore, but meant a lot to them?

Another one I remember loving as a kid was this ice pop called Fat Frog, my grandmother used to give it to me to stop me being miserable when she'd make me wait outside this factory for hours when she worked.

The packaging was changed during the '80s but I remember both of them fondly. I even found this old commercial for Fat Frog too!

EDIT
Here's a bonus photo of Mr Bones on my office wall
« Last Edit: May 05, 2024 @752.65 by Misanthropic Monster™ » Logged

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi