Artifacts Gallery Guilds Search Wiki Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining?
Autumn, 04 Oct 2026 - @199.46
Forum Activity: Four Stars ~ Boop! The forum will close in 801.beats! Random | Recent Posts | Guild Recents
News: :happy: Open the all windows! Your mind needs storms and air! :happy: Guild Events: MelonLand's Seasonal RPG Jam
Super News: ~~MelonLand's Halloween Profile Design Contest 2026~~
+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Computer Land
| |-+  ⛽︎ ∙ Technology
| | |-+  Laserdisc


« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print Embed
Author Topic: Laserdisc  (Read 7261 times)
Còbra!
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWW


’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste
⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: cobradile
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!
iMood: Cobradile
Itch.io: My Games
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Great Posts PacmanHappy Birthday 2k24 !First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« on: Spring, 13 May 2022 @740 » Toggle Font Embed

For those not in the know, Laserdisc was a movie format that competed with VHS throughout the 80s, 90s, and very early 2000s. They were these massive discs the size of vinyl records that played analogue video, and were basically DVD quality.

Eg8tK1LpLS8

I recently got myself a Laserdisc player and a few films on the format, and I love it! With some discs (CAV encoded ones to be exact), you can even play about with play speeds both forward and backwards, and going to specific frames of the disc!

Above all, they're just so cool to look at and handle! Not to mention the awesome art work on the covers!

Has anyone ever had experience with this format?

Logged


http://internetometer.com/image/51163.png

https://i.imgur.com/leo4ZYP.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/C3gPKb3.png"He/Him (Nature green star)""Cis Ally""Pan: Straight Lean"https://i.imgur.com/kI850Ts.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/pkY2oAO.pnghttps://imgur.com/QUBFnZD.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/cjVsXOX.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/G8AyR6r.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/0HBKL8H.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/YMPbu9R.png

“Snooping as usual, I see?”
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWWArt


So many stars!
⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
You're a Star!Flinstone VitaminWavy Shoulder-Length Hair with BangsBug!Top HatI got robbed by Dan Q on Melonland!
« Reply #1 on: Spring, 15 May 2022 @073 » Toggle Font Embed

Laser discs are hella cool! I have one of the Terminator purely for decoration! They are just like DVDs but HUGE :ha: (and old!)

Logged


everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered

Artifact Swap: black n cyan yappin kittayHave a chillpillRed Tulip100 coins<3curious fish
Còbra!
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWW


’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste
⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: cobradile
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!
iMood: Cobradile
Itch.io: My Games
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Great Posts PacmanHappy Birthday 2k24 !First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #2 on: Spring, 15 May 2022 @789 » Toggle Font Embed

Yeah, sometimes I get Laserdiscs just for the art. The film is just a bonus half the time! :p

Logged


http://internetometer.com/image/51163.png

https://i.imgur.com/leo4ZYP.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/C3gPKb3.png"He/Him (Nature green star)""Cis Ally""Pan: Straight Lean"https://i.imgur.com/kI850Ts.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/pkY2oAO.pnghttps://imgur.com/QUBFnZD.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/cjVsXOX.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/G8AyR6r.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/0HBKL8H.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/YMPbu9R.png

“Snooping as usual, I see?”
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWWArt


So many stars!
⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
You're a Star!Flinstone VitaminWavy Shoulder-Length Hair with BangsBug!Top HatI got robbed by Dan Q on Melonland!
« Reply #3 on: Spring, 15 May 2022 @828 » Toggle Font Embed

Send a picture of your setup/collection, it would be cool to see! Do you have it permanently setup/ready to use?

Logged


everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered

Artifact Swap: black n cyan yappin kittayHave a chillpillRed Tulip100 coins<3curious fish
Còbra!
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWW


’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste
⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: cobradile
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!
iMood: Cobradile
Itch.io: My Games
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Great Posts PacmanHappy Birthday 2k24 !First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #4 on: Spring, 15 May 2022 @903 » Toggle Font Embed

Sure. My player is a Pioneer CLD-950. It's a very low end player, and the only one I could afford in the now-inflated market of players, and I need to manually flip the discs, but it does the job! It plays both PAL and NTSC discs, and CLV/CAV.
https://cobradile.neocities.org/images/players/cld950.jpg

I've attached a photo of my collection as of right now. I'm on the lookout for a PAL copy of Die Hard.
http://IMG_17192.JPG



* IMG_17192.JPG (74.36 kB, 640x480 - viewed 292 times.)
Logged


http://internetometer.com/image/51163.png

https://i.imgur.com/leo4ZYP.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/C3gPKb3.png"He/Him (Nature green star)""Cis Ally""Pan: Straight Lean"https://i.imgur.com/kI850Ts.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/pkY2oAO.pnghttps://imgur.com/QUBFnZD.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/cjVsXOX.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/G8AyR6r.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/0HBKL8H.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/YMPbu9R.png

“Snooping as usual, I see?”
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWWArt


So many stars!
⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
You're a Star!Flinstone VitaminWavy Shoulder-Length Hair with BangsBug!Top HatI got robbed by Dan Q on Melonland!
« Reply #5 on: Spring, 15 May 2022 @946 » Toggle Font Embed

Ooo I like the 5th Element disc! That's one of my all time favourite movies :grin:

Logged


everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered

Artifact Swap: black n cyan yappin kittayHave a chillpillRed Tulip100 coins<3curious fish
Memory
Guest

« Reply #6 on: Spring, 16 May 2022 @063 » Embed

This is a very interesting peace of history and very revolutionary!

Unfortunately, I never owned a laserdisc player and even then I don't think it would be much use to buy a laserdisc so I can view for myself. However, to add to the conversation I did find a video about HD laserdisc.

Here is the video:


« Last Edit: Autumn, 19 Oct 2022 @968 by Memory » Logged
Còbra!
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWW


’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste
⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: cobradile
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!
iMood: Cobradile
Itch.io: My Games
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Great Posts PacmanHappy Birthday 2k24 !First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #7 on: Spring, 16 May 2022 @608 » Toggle Font Embed

Ooo I like the 5th Element disc! That's one of my all time favourite movies :grin:
Yeah, I love it! I own it on Widescreen VHS and Laserdisc, and hope to get it on UHD Blu-Ray, too!

Though you have to be careful when getting it on Laserdisc, since it's a known rotter (meaning it's very susceptible to disc-rot), unless you get a Pioneer pressing. (which thankfully I did)

Unfortunately, I never owned a laserdisc player and for a guy that primarily uses steaming to watch movies I don't think it would be much use to buy a laserdisc so I can view for myself.

Yeah, you'd have to be a sucker for old tech and media like me to even be interested, tbh. Especially with the prices players go for now...

However, to add to the conversation I did find a video about HD laserdisc.
Yeah, analogue video was doing HD a full decade and a half before digital got there! Makes me wonder how quickly it would have reached 4K if people didn't ditch it altogether.

Logged


http://internetometer.com/image/51163.png

https://i.imgur.com/leo4ZYP.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/C3gPKb3.png"He/Him (Nature green star)""Cis Ally""Pan: Straight Lean"https://i.imgur.com/kI850Ts.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/pkY2oAO.pnghttps://imgur.com/QUBFnZD.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/cjVsXOX.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/G8AyR6r.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/0HBKL8H.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/YMPbu9R.png

“Snooping as usual, I see?”
easy_breezy
Jr. Member
**
View Profile


PonPon
⛺︎ My Room
iMood: hax_man

Artifacts:
First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #8 on: Spring, 18 May 2022 @933 » Embed

I'm too young to have had a lazerdisk in my youth. I always assumed they were basically DVDs but bigger and with less storage.

How do they even work anyway? Are they analog like VHS?

Logged

So I was at the cash register when I realized, I GOT NO MONEY. I was seriously broke.
Còbra!
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWW


’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste
⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: cobradile
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!
iMood: Cobradile
Itch.io: My Games
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Great Posts PacmanHappy Birthday 2k24 !First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #9 on: Spring, 18 May 2022 @940 » Toggle Font Embed

You're not too far off with your assumption. Laserdisc was the predecessor to DVD, and many of the technologies behind LD ended up in DVDs.

LDs have an analogue composite signal. It works similar to DVDs, but the pits represent points in a signal rather than bits of data.

The quality I'd say is about the same or even slightly better than DVD in theory, but most films were released in letterboxed format, as opposed to DVD using anamorphic widescreen (where it's only stretched/squeezed horizontally), so most discs won't look as good.

However, a few "squeeze LDs" were released in Japan, and it's said the quality is pretty much exactly the same as a DVD.

There were a few programs released on LD, most notable BBC's Doomsday program. It's said that these LDs stored about 1GB of data per side, so yeah, it was bigger and less space than a DVD.

« Last Edit: Spring, 18 May 2022 @942 by Cobra! » Logged


http://internetometer.com/image/51163.png

https://i.imgur.com/leo4ZYP.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/C3gPKb3.png"He/Him (Nature green star)""Cis Ally""Pan: Straight Lean"https://i.imgur.com/kI850Ts.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/pkY2oAO.pnghttps://imgur.com/QUBFnZD.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/cjVsXOX.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/G8AyR6r.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/0HBKL8H.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/YMPbu9R.png

“Snooping as usual, I see?”
easy_breezy
Jr. Member
**
View Profile


PonPon
⛺︎ My Room
iMood: hax_man

Artifacts:
First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #10 on: Spring, 19 May 2022 @207 » Embed

There were a few programs released on LD, most notable BBC's Doomsday program. It's said that these LDs stored about 1GB of data per side, so yeah, it was bigger and less space than a DVD.

So, in theory, someone could've made a Lazer Disc based video game console? Knowing the wild west approach to tech in the 80s, I wouldn't be surprised if someone considered that

Logged

So I was at the cash register when I realized, I GOT NO MONEY. I was seriously broke.
Còbra!
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWW


’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste
⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: cobradile
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!
iMood: Cobradile
Itch.io: My Games
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Great Posts PacmanHappy Birthday 2k24 !First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #11 on: Spring, 19 May 2022 @675 » Toggle Font Embed

So, in theory, someone could've made a Lazer Disc based video game console?

Pioneer did, in the early 90s.

Logged


http://internetometer.com/image/51163.png

https://i.imgur.com/leo4ZYP.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/C3gPKb3.png"He/Him (Nature green star)""Cis Ally""Pan: Straight Lean"https://i.imgur.com/kI850Ts.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/pkY2oAO.pnghttps://imgur.com/QUBFnZD.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/cjVsXOX.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/G8AyR6r.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/0HBKL8H.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/YMPbu9R.png

“Snooping as usual, I see?”
creaturefeature
Sr. Member ⚓︎
****
View Profile WWWArt


⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: creaturefeature
iMood: creaturefeature

Artifacts:
First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #12 on: Summer, 14 Jun 2022 @757 » Embed

i guess my family was lucky enough to gather a sizable collection... Which we still have by the way.

I had laserdiscs of looney toons, pink panther, and the chuck jones version of tom and jerry.
We also had a tons of music video laserdiscs.

Watching Tears for Fears and Lisa Stansfield videos growing up was huge influence to me.

Logged


https://i.postimg.cc/dDbL6KhC/tumblr-d5439d978b3c6b781d96727e97fd9398-3bdaa8b9-540.jpg
yot
Newbie ⚓︎
*
View Profile WWW


⛺︎ My Room

Artifacts:
First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #13 on: Summer, 18 Jun 2022 @953 » Embed

From what I understand laserdiscs were actually popular in Japan, at least to some degree... when it comes to Anime, there were many OVAs which either included an LD release, or even released exclusively to them.

Logged
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWWArt


So many stars!
⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
You're a Star!Flinstone VitaminWavy Shoulder-Length Hair with BangsBug!Top HatI got robbed by Dan Q on Melonland!
« Reply #14 on: Summer, 19 Jun 2022 @916 » Toggle Font Embed

I was just watching Friends and Ross invited everyone over for a laserdisc binge on his new home cinema :tongue:

Logged


everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered

Artifact Swap: black n cyan yappin kittayHave a chillpillRed Tulip100 coins<3curious fish
Pages: [1] Print Embed 
« previous next »
 

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021 | Privacy Notice | Send Feedback | Supporters ♥ Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP | Mobile


MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi
@000 Melon
Land
Forum Art Hub Chat Webring Explore Random Recent Tenement Arcade Want to Login or Join ? Web Craft Guide Graphic Catalogue Wiki Help I'm Lost! Link Land Newsletters Image Stream Minecraft: Online
Zap!
Passport Sites tamaNOTchi Asatte Add your site?
Aero Archive Onio Cafe 32 Bit Cafe Status Cafe