Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
September 08, 2024 - @89.28 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Two Stars Posts: 21/1k.beats ~ Boop! The forum will close in 911.beats! Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :skull: Websites are like whispers in the night  :skull:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Art & Games
| |-+  ✎ ∙ Art Crafting
| | |-+  Best software for pixel animation?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Best software for pixel animation?  (Read 347 times)
larvapuppy
Full Member ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: June 19, 2024 @183.65 »

I've been getting back into pixel art for the past year or so; a bonus of this is that it's easy for me to add simple little animations to my pieces to bring them to life a bit. I currently use FireAlpaca to make the art, assemble the frames as individual transparent png files, then animate them with the online gif maker, ezgif.

Spoiler
[close]

My problem being that I want to branch out and start doing more complex animations with these pixels. My animation skill itself is alright, but I find it quite annoying that I am unable to scroll through my frames, reorder and assemble them in one program, and make minor edits without throwing off the timing of the whole piece. :ohdear: So I'd love some recommendations from my fellow pixel artists for art programs with good pixel art + animation functions.

My wishlist:

• Supports & respects alpha (aka if I draw something at 40% opacity it exports at 40% opacity, rather than disappearing or being changed to 100% opacity)
  • Exports animated gifs
  • Free or lump sum price (no subscription services)
  • Animation timeline with onionskin, easy to change timing and scroll through / do test shots
  • Works on MacOS (and older versions, I use High Sierra)

Hopefully that isn't too much to ask!  :evil:  Thanks in advance!

the end of an era, one starts anew
dirtnap

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2024 @404.78 »

ooh i like your style!

sadly, you can't have partial-transparency in a gif. the format itself does not support that.

as far as i know, no animated image format supports partial-transparency. there are apngs, but they're a very weird format that a lot of devices don't properly support, and i wouldn't recommend using them.

(EDIT: re-reading your post, i realise you weren't asking for a file format that supports both animation and partial-transparency, but software. presumably for the benefit of either pngs or gifs as needed.)

i had no idea firealpaca can't save gifs.

the software i use for animating gifs is an old version of photoshop elements. (i say old, i don't think they still make elements so probably all versions of it are old now). i wouldn't recommend it for animating anything with more than a dozen or so frames, scrolling through the layers is a pain and it will refuse to save a gif over a certain very small size, even though other software can save gifs ten times that size.

i know there's a lot of dedicated pixel-art software out there (i hear aesprite is popular) so you might want to look through those since they'd presumably be less bloated than photoshop for your purposes, and may be better about saving "big" gifs.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2024 @435.44 by dirtnap » Logged

no js no shoes no problem
lime360
Full Member ⚓︎

hi.

⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: lime360
iMood: lime360
Matrix: Chat!
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2024 @471.63 »

use libresprite, it's basically a continuation of aseprite 1.6 (which is the last free version before shifting into a propriteary license)

zawieja
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Call me Ren!

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Epic Cat AwardFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2024 @552.73 »

I can vouch for aseprite - I rarely buy programs unless I think they really deserve it, but this one does for sure :ha: I'm not sure how it would work on MacOS though.
And as it has already been mentioned - I don't think you can make GIFs with partial transparency due to format limitations.

─── °∘❉∘° ───

─── °∘❉∘° ───
larvapuppy
Full Member ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2024 @940.07 »

Thanks for the recommendations everyone- a shame that gifs don't allow partial transparency, but that explains why the smoking guy's smoke disappeared when I had it fading away. :drat: I'm not as familiar with apngs but if they have partial transparency as a feature I'd be more likely to try them.

Nice to know that aseprite now works on Mac. I'd heard of it before, but the last time I checked (a few years ago now) I believe it was Windows-only? I think I'll download the trial version to see if it's worth buying. The open-source version sounds interesting as well, so I'll compare them.  :unite: EDIT: The trial version of aseprite apparently doesn't allow you to save your files? How do they expect people to try it out properly if they can't make something they'd wanna save  :drat:  :drat:  :drat:

If there are other alternatives I'd still love to hear about them, so I can pick what suits me best.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2024 @952.47 by larvapuppy » Logged

the end of an era, one starts anew
candycanearter07
Full Member ⚓︎

i like slimes

⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: candycanearter
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

uh oh! a pigeon got in!Artsy Candy CaneJoined 2024!
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2024 @875.69 »

I can vouch for aseprite - I rarely buy programs unless I think they really deserve it, but this one does for sure :ha: I'm not sure how it would work on MacOS though.
And as it has already been mentioned - I don't think you can make GIFs with partial transparency due to format limitations.

You can also get it for free if you're a nerd

new to oldnet be nice

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Forum feature requests and Ideas

Started by MelooonBoard ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions

Replies: 279
Views: 28045
Last post September 07, 2024 @123.48
by larvapuppy
xX Welcome to the Forum & Rules Xx

Started by MelooonBoard ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions

Replies: 0
Views: 6383
Last post November 14, 2021 @627.84
by Melooon
Pixel Art - Mini Contest - New message icons!

Started by MelooonBoard ☑︎ ∙ Events and Activities

Replies: 21
Views: 4561
Last post July 18, 2024 @680.65
by Zunne

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi