Artifacts Gallery Guilds Search Wiki Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining?
Autumn, 29 Sep 2026 - @154.39
Forum Activity: Two Stars Random | Recent Posts | Guild Recents
News: :wizard: You can make anything on the web! :wizard: Guild Events: TIME FOR HALLOWEEN CRAFTS!
Super News: ~~MelonLand's Halloween Profile Design Contest 2026~~
+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Da Web Revival
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  Has someone stolen my graphics?


« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print Embed
Author Topic: Has someone stolen my graphics?  (Read 1119 times)
Eunice
Sr. Member ⚓︎
****
View Profile WWW


Behind every great woman there is a cat.
⛺︎ My Room
iMood: Serennau

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
The Wise OneJoined 2024!
« on: Summer, 20 Aug 2024 @487 » Embed

I have a bit of a conundrum. I used to have a domain, ceruleansky.net. When it came time to renew it this year, I decided to drop it and bought ceruleansky.uk. As .uk domains are cheaper than .net. But I've recently found that someone else has bought the .net, and they seem to have "stolen" my graphics from two layouts ago. Not the one before I rebuilt it as a .uk, the one two versions ago. Whoever it is has got table of contents, just like mine, but no links. I suspect this person got the graphics from the archive.

It is hosted, this fake version, on something called Cloudflare, whatever that is. I've emailed the person, but I doubt I'll get a reply. So, does anyone have any ideas? I suppose I could ignore it as none of the links go anywhere, not even the email. It just chaps my grits that someone would do this. Why? Someone else used to have the domain before I bought it, and all she had on it were a bunch of fanlistings. And mine was, and is, a personal site. So I can't see any commercial value for this person.  :trash:

Logged
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWWArt


So many stars!
⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
You're a Star!Flinstone VitaminWavy Shoulder-Length Hair with BangsBug!Top HatI got robbed by Dan Q on Melonland!
« Reply #1 on: Summer, 20 Aug 2024 @496 » Toggle Font Embed

This is super weird! I do have a theory though! Either you have a slightly overenthusiastic archiving fan ~ orrr more probably this was done by an automated bot that looks for recently expired domains; restores them from a waybackarchive and then tries to hold onto some of the old visitor base; prob with the plan to modify the site at a later date for some nefarious reason like seeing if they can spoof data from people or just put ads on the traffic :ohdear:

So I doubt its a person at all; or at least, I would say it was done by a bot (and the bot might be using stolen credit cards to pay the domain fees), and a person might come along later and try to modify it.

CloudFlare is a web services company like namecheap or godaddy; and they are (as far as I know!) pretty reputable; you could report this to them and they might do something  :trash:

Its definitely a good cautionary tale about the risks of getting and letting-go domain names  :sad:

Logged


everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered

Artifact Swap: black n cyan yappin kittayHave a chillpillThe Wizards OrbRed Tulip100 coins<3eyntivemds pet fishcurious fish
Eunice
Sr. Member ⚓︎
****
View Profile WWW


Behind every great woman there is a cat.
⛺︎ My Room
iMood: Serennau

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
The Wise OneJoined 2024!
« Reply #2 on: Summer, 20 Aug 2024 @538 » Embed

Thank you. It is reassuring to know it might be a bot. From the whois, the bot/person is in Ukraine. Thought that might just be Cloudfare's offices. I'll email them. Thanks! I've bought and dropped tons of domains and this has never happened before.

Logged
Pages: [1] Print Embed 
« previous next »
 

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021 | Privacy Notice | Send Feedback | Supporters ♥ Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP | Mobile


MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi
@000 Melon
Land
Forum Art Hub Chat Webring Explore Random Recent Tenement Arcade Want to Login or Join ? Web Craft Guide Graphic Catalogue Wiki Help I'm Lost! Link Land Newsletters Image Stream Minecraft: Online
Zap!
Passport Sites tamaNOTchi Asatte Add your site?
Aero Archive Onio Cafe 32 Bit Cafe Status Cafe