Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
October 18, 2024 - @429.69 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Stars Posts: 27/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ozwomp: Reminder: Forum messages stay readable for years! Keep yours high quality! :ozwomp:
Halloween Topics! Gfx + Costumes, Decor + Crafts, Prep, Horror Movies, Spooky Songs! ~ E-Zine #2 is out now!

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ☺︎ ∙ General Interests
| | |-+  © ∙ Music Room
| | | |-+  Music and moving on

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Music and moving on  (Read 128 times)
Absentmind
Full Member ⚓︎

Torture me with sorcery

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Smashing Pumpkins Live June 2024 !First 1000 Members!Café ClubJoined 2022!
« on: September 19, 2024 @920.80 »

I sit here on this Thursday night, scrolling through Spotify and I find Quantum Flux by Northlane and I give it a listen as I go through my old Metalcore playlist. I'm sort of enjoying it but not really, this song used to be my favourite about 10 years ago, I flick through other the songs on my once favourite and carefully tailored metalcore playlist and I end up skipping most of them.

I then realised these songs doesn't represent me as a person anymore. It made me think about how much of me has changed over the years,how I used be this metal dude who would shit on anything not metal because I was so darn cool (lame). "I've gone soft", I thought to myself as I chuckled, but there was a level of melancholy there. It made me think of people I don't really talk to anymore and how I associate this kind of music with them as it was what we used to bond over. I changed in a lot of ways, my outlook, my style, what I did in my free time, my ways of thinking. Whilst they all stayed the same and that's perfectly fine but we didn't really relate to each other anymore and we kind of faded away. I still love them but that metalcore angsty nihilist chapter had come to a close.

It sort of made me feel existential, like I've lost a piece of me but gained another, I have new friends and we bond over music just like I did with my old friends, is this going to happen again with them? Probably! but I'm ok with that, I'm happy where I am now. I find it really interesting how we (or at least I do) associate different songs and genres with periods of out lives. I like to think of them as bookmarks to different chapters of me.

What's the point of this thread?

I want know if you have any similar stories around sentimental music or genres, what's your favourite from 3, 5, 10 years ago? How does it make you feel? Does/did it represent you as a person? What songs used to represent you or time periods in your life? Did they or do they bring you comfort? I'd love to know!

I leave you with one of my current favourite songs which I think fits quite well thematically. Please consider listening to it as you read this thread!

:4u:
« Last Edit: September 21, 2024 @405.16 by Absentmind » Logged

FE1NT
Casual Poster

me when i huh

⛺︎ My Room
iMood: FE1NT

View Profile WWW

Graphic DesignerJoined 2024!
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2024 @92.66 »

for me, a lot of the genres i grew up with i still strongly resonate with! a lot of drum and bass, jungle, breakbeat, trance, etc. there's a few artists i've kinda grown out of though, like Fox Stevenson. he's a drum and bass artist that does his own vocals, and none of his stuff is inherently bad! i've just kind of grown out of his music. i find myself listening to more liquid dnb, or old school records from the 90's/00's.

i also used to be really into synthwave, but i kinda lost touch with it as it became more popular. i have playlists on youtube for individual OCs, and one of them is a synthwave/80's based aesthetic. i haven't given it a listen in a while.. there's some stuff in there i still dig! but i think i'll need to overhaul it one of these days.

Foregone Destruction from Unreal Tournament 99 is a song that's stuck with me my entire life, and i think sums me up pretty well, in an abstract kind of way.

I leave you with one of my current favourite songs which I think fits quite well thematically. Please consider listening to it as you read this thread!

i dig this song a lot!! reminds me of my friend who's into a lot of alt rock (i'm so bad with genres outside of electronic music), shoegaze, and the like. adding this one to my rotation. thanks!!  :ozwomp:
halcybutton
Jr. Member ⚓︎

i may be cringe but i am free

⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: halcybutton
iMood: halcybutton
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2024 @186.88 »

honestly, my favorite band from 10 years ago is still my favorite band today! in middle school my illnesses really started kicking into overdrive, and of Montreal has always made me feel "seen" and not alone via music. i still feel like they play a huge role in my life and who i am as a person, though as i have gotten older i do find myself liking different songs more/other songs less from their discography.

my favorite song from 10 years ago / favorite from 5 years ago / favorite from now

as i've gotten older my genres have expanded, but i haven't really left any truly behind. i don't listen to a lot of emo anymore, but i still have a few songs i may put on playlists. same with folk punk. i have thousands of songs in my liked songs, and whilst i am not always in the mood for a lot of songs, i like having them on hand in case one day i do end up in the mood for them (which happens on a semi regular basis). sometimes going back for songs i used to play 24/7 feels nice, even if nowadays i don't listen to them as much. it's very hard for me to truly drop music because there's always a good chance i'll want to return to a song one day! ^_^

i like the vibes of this song, very nice! i may have to check out more of their stuff.

HALCYON 
it/he/ey - EST
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Freeware music goodies!

Started by phodicaeBoard © ∙ Music Room

Replies: 5
Views: 2696
Last post February 13, 2022 @285.71
by easy_breezy
Free Hosting for Music - Cybergrunge.net

Started by ellievoyydBoard © ∙ Music Room

Replies: 7
Views: 2569
Last post February 15, 2022 @110.05
by ellievoyyd
Uploading music?

Started by LimeAngelMudzyBoard ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!

Replies: 1
Views: 1339
Last post June 24, 2022 @692.11
by Melooon

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi