Artifacts Gallery Guilds Search Wiki Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining?
Autumn, 08 Oct 2026 - @105.61
Forum Activity: Four Stars Random | Recent Posts | Guild Recents
News: :happy: Open the all windows! Your mind needs storms and air! :happy: Guild Events: weekly zine jam 15: dreams
Super News: ~~MelonLand's Halloween Profile Design Contest 2026~~
+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Earth & Interests
| |-+  © ∙ Music
| | |-+  The Scopitone


« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print Embed
Author Topic: The Scopitone  (Read 1257 times)
ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWWArt


Here be dragons
⛺︎ My Room

Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!I got robbed by Dan Q on Melonland!Great Posts PacmanThanks for being rad!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: Autumn, 22 Oct 2024 @603 » Embed

The Scopitone was a early music video jukebox invented in France, that played a short music video clip after you threw in a coin. It was mostly placed in bars, and was apparently a big thing in Europe after the second world war.
As apparently most videos were produces by a rather small number of producers and had to lure the audience into paying for the material, many of the videos have a somewhat similar style: The things targeted an adult audience, and many of the videos that were available were - at least by the standards back then - a bit smutty, and usually feature lightly-clad, over-the-top merry female dancers.

The whole business had close ties to the mob, and - according to my information - went into decline over a mafia-intern conflict (Wikipedia, however, states that American and British acts boycotted the thing due to its bad reputation, others state that color-TV was responsible for their decline).

Many Scopitone videos can be watched on Youtube. They are a interesting time-capsule for the everyday-culture back then, and many of the material is so outdated that it appears nearly like a parody from modern perspective:

« Last Edit: Autumn, 22 Oct 2024 @606 by ThunderPerfectWitchcraft » Logged

TheFrugalGamer
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWWArt


⛺︎ My Room
Itch.io: My Games
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
See A Bug Summer 2025 ParticipantGreat Posts PacmanFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #1 on: Autumn, 24 Oct 2024 @589 » Toggle Font Embed

What an odd little bit of history! I have to admit, watching the video, the first thing that comes to mind during the dance scenes is "white people flailing."

It kind of reminds me of the Nickelodeon machines that were similarly coin operated, though I know that word refers to many different types of early movie theaters also. I found a site with a picture of the Scopitone itself, and I swear I've seen these things in the Fallout series or something, because they look very familiar!

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/articles/Scopitones

Logged


Artifact Swap: Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Pink TulipEmerald OreAquamarine
ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWWArt


Here be dragons
⛺︎ My Room

Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!I got robbed by Dan Q on Melonland!Great Posts PacmanThanks for being rad!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #2 on: Autumn, 24 Oct 2024 @639 » Embed

What an odd little bit of history! I have to admit, watching the video, the first thing that comes to mind during the dance scenes is "white people flailing."

13:05 has a mixed troupe with a very white drummer.

If they appeared in Fallout, nobody seems to have noticed yet; just tried to find web resources regarding media appearances of these machines, and it seems to be a pretty blind spot.

Logged

TheFrugalGamer
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWWArt


⛺︎ My Room
Itch.io: My Games
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
See A Bug Summer 2025 ParticipantGreat Posts PacmanFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #3 on: Autumn, 24 Oct 2024 @643 » Toggle Font Embed

Ha! I love how understated most of the singers in these clips are compared to the dancers.

Maybe it wasn't Fallout...but it's deep in my brain somewhere; maybe it'll work its way out someday. I have a distinct memory of seeing something that I thought was a jukebox, and then thought, "Wait, why is there a screen on that thing?"

Logged


Artifact Swap: Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Pink TulipEmerald OreAquamarine
ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWWArt


Here be dragons
⛺︎ My Room

Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!I got robbed by Dan Q on Melonland!Great Posts PacmanThanks for being rad!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #4 on: Winter, 05 Feb 2025 @413 » Embed

@TheFrugalGamer After rewatching the whole thing last weekend, I can't get the "The Exciters - He's got the Power" track out of my head  :grin:



This is a total banger!

Logged

Pages: [1] Print Embed 
« previous next »
 

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021 | Privacy Notice | Send Feedback | Supporters ♥ Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP | Mobile


MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi
@000 Melon
Land
Forum Art Hub Chat Webring Explore Random Recent Tenement Arcade Want to Login or Join ? Web Craft Guide Graphic Catalogue Wiki Help I'm Lost! Link Land Newsletters Image Stream Minecraft: Online
Zap!
Passport Sites tamaNOTchi Asatte Add your site?
Aero Archive Onio Cafe 32 Bit Cafe Status Cafe