Home Entrance Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
March 29, 2024 - @150.19 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 48/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ha: :pc: Hello Melonland! :pc: :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!
| | | |-+  HELP: songs in websites

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: HELP: songs in websites  (Read 1097 times)
pancito
Casual Poster

any pronouns for me!

iMood: 800cherries

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« on: June 07, 2022 @37.18 »

(i really hope i didn't mess up and this post is in the right board!!) :ohdear:

i was doing some brainstorming about my (hopefully) future website, and i ended up with a doubt related to music and the web revival movement. is there any kind of code or unspoken rule when it comes to putting songs on your website? like, for example, only using non-copyrighted music and stuff you've made.

☆゚°˖* ٩(ˊᗜˋ*)و
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2022 @544.83 »

(Yep this is fine, Is there anything I can do to make the boards purpose more obvious??)

Oh thanks for asking, this is quite a common topic Iv seen come up. In short, no there is no unspoken rule, it comes down to personal choice.

Websites are not like YouTube, if you put Sk8ter Boi as your background music Avril Lavigne is not gonna show up at your house and bully you into deleting your website :omg:k: Neocities does not delete or punish sites that have copyrighted stuff (Unless you're like running and entire piracy site).

However the question I'd ask is.. how "Serious" is your site? Is it a personal site for your hobbies? Or is your site part of a larger project that sells your art or games etc?
* If its a personal site - don't worry about it, you can do anything.
* If its a more serious site you might want to be a little more careful about what you use.

My site is a little more "serious" because I use it has a hub for my work, and this community etc. So my rule of thumb is this:
  • I try to use copyright free music and assets when possible.
  • I try to link back to music creators on my hyperlinks page.
  • If I use a copyrighted song, I use a cover or a midi version of it, not the original.
  • I try and avoid songs that are too intrusive/loud on important pages.

So ultimately its about what feels right to you. Often when I'm picking songs for my site, I will try like 10-100 different songs before I find one that suits the page and I'll look at a lot of different sources for that music!

Also general tips for songs on sites:
* Import the song to Audacity, trim off any silence or excess sounds.
* Lower the volume by 2dB, that makes it less intrusive.
* Export it as an mp3 between 48-64 kbps depending on its length. (Aim to keep the file under 1mb when possible)
* Optionally export it as an ogg as well, with low quality. OGG files sound better, but don't work in some browsers like Safari. You can put both in an <audio> tag, and the browser will pick the one it can use.

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Iconic Video Game Songs [Player's Choice Award]

Started by NightdriftBoard © ∙ Music Room

Replies: 24
Views: 3815
Last post March 21, 2024 @26.45
by konamiesque
Yesterweb Zine - Issue 02 - Websites as an Act of Creativity - OUT NOW!!

Started by sadnessBoard ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links

Replies: 4
Views: 1474
Last post April 27, 2022 @745.66
by Dojidave
What do you use to code websites?

Started by neoratzBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 62
Views: 5179
Last post October 29, 2023 @752.06
by wetnoodle

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi