Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 20, 2024 - @37.82 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 49/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :dive: Are u having fun?? :dive:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema
| | |-+  What's the last movie you watched and how did you like it?

« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: What's the last movie you watched and how did you like it?  (Read 6721 times)
thesolitarygamer
Full Member ⚓︎

why do they call it oven

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2023 @960.90 »

Last one i remember watching (been a hectic few months so things are spotty lol) was Everything Everywhere All At Once, a wonderful and batshit insane movie about a chinese woman having to save existence by switching between many, many alternate universes. Probably one of the most creative and wild things I've seen all things considered. It also made me cry so much, ESPECIALLY near the end. Like I'm talking crying like a bitch crying, the themes and message of the movie hits you hard at the end and it's so wonderful. Definitely recommend it for people who're feeling stuck in a rut of their life.
Cele

any way the wind blows

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2023 @190.38 »

Puss in Boots 2 and that was... surprisingly good. Great animation and... mental health awareness? Was not expecting that.
BritKnee
Casual Poster ⚓︎

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: britknee
iMood: BritKnee

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2023 @206.97 »

The last movie I watched was "the man who fell to earth" starring David Bowie

The film was a bit of a blur, it had that indie feel to it aswell. Another good film he stars in is called the Hunger; though I think the man who fell to earth is a bit better

TrAnarchoCommunist Extraordinaire

MSN: britknee14
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2023 @228.67 »

I rewatched Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City tonight. I actually really like this movie. It didn't get good reviews and I think most fans of the games hated it, but I like pretty much everything to do with Resident Evil. Even the worst games and movies have some campy charm. But I wouldn't even place this movie among the worst. 

It's way more faithful to the original games than the Paul Anderson movies, and I actually like most of the things they changed as well. They made Leon into an actual rookie instead of a police prodigy, and Wesker is a lot more interesting and even sympathetic.

My only complaints are it's a bit overstuffed so some things feel rushed, and some of the exposition at the beginning is clunky. But if you were avoiding the movie because you heard it was bad, I hope I convinced you to give it a try. 
WingsOfImagination

Beauty Serene Arrow!

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2023 @858.30 »

But if you were avoiding the movie because you heard it was bad, I hope I convinced you to give it a try. 
You actually did! I didn't even give it a chance because of the bad reviews, and I actually liked the previous Paul Anderson movies. I will give it a watch when I can.

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2023 @290.64 »

I watched Phil Tippett's "Mad God" a couple nights ago and ... I really wanted to like it. I love stop motion animation and Phil Tippett has been continuing Ray Harryhausen's legacy in that regard, so I was really excited when it came out.

The movie does have some beautifully grotesque imagery and at times looks just like a Tool music video. But after being genuinely engrossed for the first fifteen minutes, I started to feel like every scene went on for twice as long as it needed to. And then it started to feel like every scene was twice as long as that. By the half-way point I was incredibly bored. When I saw how much time was left I debated turning it off, but I was impressed enough by the first bit that I stuck through it to see if it got better again.

It didn't. Well, mostly.

It has ups and downs. I like the idea of blending some live action footage with the stop motion animation, but in practice it kind of feels like it was done to cut corners. When they used it for closeups of the "human" characters, when all you can see are their hands or feet, it works really well and the way they play with the frame speed during some of those shots does help it blend in with the animation. But then there's a long segment where the main character is driving in a jeep, and they just stuck the model in a remote control car and drove it around. I'm pretty sure they did that just to avoid animating him walking for another twenty minutes, but the scene is so pointless and long, they could have achieved the same thing by cutting it entirely. :P

And then there are some other live action scenes that could have been a movie on their own because they're so well done but clash with the style of the stop motion.
Spoiler
The scene with the nurse handing over the "baby" was so cool and I wanted to see more of that movie instead.
[close]

On that note, the plot is really obtuse and feels like a series of vignettes stitched together rather than a cohesive story. There's no dialogue so it's all done through visual storytelling. There is a general narrative to follow, but there are a lot of segments that just don't fit with the rest. Like the aforementioned spoilery scene, which ... isn't totally dropped, but goes in such a wildly different direction that it may as well have been. There's no satisfying payoff to anything, so even the cool parts end up feeling pointless. I got the impression that a lot of the scenes were included just to show off the animation, which would have been fine if they didn't drag on for so long and if they hadn't cut so many corners with the animation elsewhere.

I'm still glad I watched it because it's really original and does have some high points. But by the end I was just amazed at how bored I could be while watching something that looks so cool.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023 @292.91 by MamboGator » Logged
WingsOfImagination

Beauty Serene Arrow!

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2023 @735.25 »

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective

I'm pretty late on this one, but I finally watched it last week!

Absolutely EXCELLENT performance by Jim Carrey, as to be expected. I loved the general concept and I laughed quite a bit during this movie :happy:

The opening scenes were great and set up high expectations, though however and unfortunately I felt that the rest of the story fell kind of flat as it didn't feel very solid throughout the movie, as if it could be so much better and make much clever use of the overall idea. Seemed a bit too basic. The ending also felt quite unsatisfying as a conclusion. This movie could probably use 30 more minutes or so to develop more substance.

But I would say it's definitely worth a watch! I could watch this guy and his nearly unmatched hilarious acting all day long.

The Menu

Yeah... I didn't really like this one. I watched it together with my family and we all agreed it was more slow and weird than it was enjoyable.

While I can appreciate the uniqueness of this film and its...theatrical value(?), at the end of the day it just doesn't cut it. It had some charm, but overall the movie felt like a mess, and more than that, it wasn't ENGAGING.

Also, except the chef, every other character in this movie was not only super boring, but also very unlikable and annoying. How am I as a viewer supposed to care about their fate and feel tension when this is how they are presented? :angry:

Maybe, just maybe worth a watch, in my opinion.

glitchlynx
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2023 @937.85 »

The last movie I watched was Gamera 2: Attack of Legion, which is a Japanese monster movie in the same genre as Godzilla. I enjoyed it, but not as much as the first one (but I still plan to watch the third one at some point). I think the human characters were just a bit less interesting. But the monster designs were pretty neat and creative, in a creepy way. I wouldn't recommend this movie to someone who really hates cockroaches.

I've been watching quite a few things in the 'tokusatsu' genre recently... I just find practical effects really fun to watch, even if they technically look 'worse' than cgi.

Wobblegong
Casual Poster

I will wobble once more

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2023 @48.32 »

I wasn't huge on The Menu either. I guess it's more of a satire than a horror movie? They try to build tension but it doesn't really work.

---

Last that I watched was The Talented Mr. Ripley which was really great. Very tense, effective thriller. It's also very beautiful visually which I guess contrasts with how awful a lot of the characters are... would definitely recommend.

Also one of my favorite books, the book version of Ripley is a bit more cold blooded then Matt Damon is in the film. He is great though, you kind of have to see what's going on inside his head to get him and that's a difficult part for an actor.

Also love Phillip Seymour Hoffman stealing every scene he's in

teatime
Full Member ⚓︎

RAAAAAAGH

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!High Speed Ozwomp!Joined 2023!
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2023 @155.72 »

the last movie i watched was pink floyd the wall. it was a well made movie and i liked the animated sequences, but i didn't come out of it with my mind blown... maybe watching it after watching a critique of the nostalgia critic's the wall was a mistake  :drat:
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2023 @463.43 »

My girlfriend, my roommate and I made it a point to watch all Scream movies in order. Originally, we expected a serious horror movie franchise, but getting into the first movie, we noticed that it was very much not and much more of a slapstick comedy thing.

I can't say I like the movies particularly, but I definitely enjoy our watch parties. :ok:
SilkSkull
Hero Member ⚓︎

iMood: SilkSkull
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!MARIO64.PNGCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2023 @669.44 »

I just finished watching 10 Thing I Hate About You. Now to say something I never though I would; I loved it! It was so over the top and cheesy that it was amazing. The characters captured my heart and the comedy was so stupid that I couldn't help but adore it. Definitely would recommend this to anyone even slightly into early 2000's drama and romcoms.

She/Her
"Will you stop adding lampposts to my games?"

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2023 @27.22 »

Just finished watching Party Girl (1995) - it follows the story of a deadbeat (but very stylish) young woman on her journey to becoming a librarian?

Its peak 90s "brilliant looser" genre, but its a bit more mature than the usual Hackers or Empire Records style movie - I get the feeling it must have been an inspiration for Legally Blonde. Overall its a bit of a mess at times and the characters are not especially complex and kinda fall into tropes; but its still likable and has LOTs of people wearing round glasses. As a more offbeat 90s movie Id recommend giving it a watch!

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
debleb
Full Member ⚓︎

He/him, scaley tailey dragon

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Goose!Pocket Icelogist!High Speed Ozwomp!Joined 2022!
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2023 @476.23 »

i think it was wolfwalkers by cartoon saloon. i really liked it! i loved the characters, animation, and music and i thought the whole concept was cool. plus, there aren’t too many films set here in ireland :3

"I would have thought you to be above something so banal as despair. Am I mistaken?"

« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2023 @129.12 »

Club Dread. It's been decades since I first watched it and I was at a party at the time, so I couldn't remember much including who the killer was. It was basically like watching it for the first time again. All I really remembered was the Pac-man hedge maze scene. It still holds up though.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Theme Poll - Do you like the forum theme?

Started by MelooonBoard ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions

Replies: 13
Views: 4956
Last post August 12, 2023 @742.86
by vvinrg
Old French Animated Sci-fi Movies

Started by DojidaveBoard ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema

Replies: 5
Views: 1560
Last post October 22, 2022 @478.83
by PineTree
Whats your life like? (Time Capsule Thread)

Started by MelooonBoard ☺︎ ∙ General Interests

Replies: 35
Views: 3184
Last post April 10, 2024 @598.32
by Misanthropic Monster™

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi