Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 25, 2024 - @983.31 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 40/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ha: :pc: Hello Melonland! :pc: :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  Poll: What browser do you use?

« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Print
Poll
Question: What browser do you use? (Pick 2 Max!)
Firefox   -222 (55.1%)
Chrome   -53 (13.2%)
Safari   -17 (4.2%)
Edge   -11 (2.7%)
Brave   -11 (2.7%)
Vivaldi   -20 (5%)
Opera   -19 (4.7%)
Chromium   -4 (1%)
SeaMonkey   -2 (0.5%)
Pale Moon   -11 (2.7%)
Waterfox   -8 (2%)
Other (Please say!)   -25 (6.2%)
Arc   -0 (0%)
Total Members Voted: 302

Author Topic: Poll: What browser do you use?  (Read 9212 times)
Aloe
Newbie ⚓︎

SpaceHey: Friend Me!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2023 @730.64 »

I use DuckDuckGo for my mobile devices, but Safari on desktop with the DuckDuckGo extension. It's not always the best for finding the results you want (sometimes when I'm looking for better results for images I go on chrome). I generally avoid Chrome unless I have to use it.
Inlusione
Casual Poster

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2023 @576.68 »

Firefox still seems to me the optimal choice after 15 years. On mobile I prefer something simple, like Firefox Klar, but I don't really use it for normal browsing.

I like to cross-access my links from different devices and on Firefox I can do this by simply pressing the Synced tab button. Anything I open on my other devices will stay with me so that I can pick up where I left off. I use to read/watch different things on each device due to screen concerns as I find my laptop to be much more comfortable for reading long-form content especially at night.

For addons, I use uBlock Origin, Tab Session Manager(for saving certain tabs and opening them instantly; I use this more often when I try to read a blog or just a random archive so I open all the tabs that looks interesting to me and save them in the session manager for later - I used to have Tablist before), Fraidycat(it's some sort of an RSS, without all the bloat and FOMO of unread posts), Auto Tab Discard(sometimes I have the bad habit of opening way too many links and my RAM is suffering, so this addon will come to the rescue) and HTTPS Everywhere + NoScript for certain sites. I also use Firefox Containers.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2023 @578.45 by Inlusione » Logged
HadalpelagicROV

but that's such a messy word, "forever" --

StatusCafe: demipalladium

View Profile

« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2023 @171.04 »

Nowadays, I mostly use Safari and Firefox, though I also have Opera, Opera GX, and Brave installed. Recently moved back to Firefox as a main browser since I wasn't vibing with the RAM-eating Chromium Adpocalypse and some websites I play don't do well on Safari, so I needed an alternative. Nice to see it's moved on from the crashfest I remember it being in like 2012 LOL! I have some gripes but nothing I don't think I can't eventually learn to customize away (as soon as I have free time...)

I used Opera and Opera GX for several years and keep them in my back pocket for school stuff -- a lot of Official School Sites only play nicely on Chromiums, and I do really like Opera GX's ambient music for writing. Brave is my worst-case-scenario-backup-backup browser, though I rarely ever touch it, and I might peek at some of the names I don't recognize from this list!

{ ROV or Haddie } { server time - 8 } { pings welcome }
{ always exploring }
🅲🆁🅸🆂
Casual Poster ⚓︎

🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍⚧️

StatusCafe: cris
iMood: cosmichorror

View Profile WWW

« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2023 @201.16 »

I use Safari on mobile. But on my laptop, I just recently switched back to Firefox. Recently as in 10 minutes ago.

I had a long, long stint in Chrome after wanting to "just try it out." And then I was too lazy to move everything back over to Firefox. There is still a window full of tabs that I need to go through.

But I'm back... for now.

lonelyjuly
Casual Poster ⚓︎

space, man

StatusCafe: lonelyjuly
iMood: lonelyjuly
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2023 @721.50 »

I've been using Firefox a lot recently, but I can't seem to watch YouTube and play a game at the same time. Maybe it's too much VRAM or something.

But I might go back to Opera GX for the RAM limiter

>"He who enters the arena is infinitely more honorable than he who watches from the stands"

aoeu
Casual Poster

StatusCafe: aoeu
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile

First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2023 @29.22 »

Firefox + arkenfox/user.js on full fat PCs.
Bromite on Android-based mobile devices.

Both work surprisingly well for most use cases and are generally what I would consider to be the gold standard of web browsers.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2023 @34.86 by aoeu » Logged
tarraxahum
Full Member ⚓︎

Xx_O_o_xX

StatusCafe: tarraxahum
iMood: tarraxahum

View Profile WWW

« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2023 @476.77 »

On mobile it's Firefox Focus

On PC it's a weird situation where it's Firefox for mundane ish/work/etc, but Brave for tarraxahum things

"Weird" 'cause here is where I do the sitebuilding and then I have to kinda run inbetween browsers to figure out what breaks when moving from Chromium-based browser to Firefox and/or back. Although I suppose for everyone on Firefox it works the same way, just in another order.

Currently very grumbly about the fact that Firefox does not display custom-colored scrollbars.  :tongue:

"Why change the past, when you can own this day?" (c)
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2023 @568.92 »

Currently very grumbly about the fact that Firefox does not display custom-colored scrollbars.  :tongue:

It can actually! They are just much more limited than the chrome ones and need to be added separately.
https://forum.melonland.net/index.php?topic=428.msg2722#msg2722

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
Y2KStardust
Jr. Member ⚓︎

ooh, what does this button do??

View Profile WWW

« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2023 @498.80 »

Man, this is one of the few spaces I'm in where firefox supremacy is the *norm* and I'm thriving! I love my funky customized baby, I have so many random accessibility features packed into this badboy thanks to extensions  :ha:

tarraxahum
Full Member ⚓︎

Xx_O_o_xX

StatusCafe: tarraxahum
iMood: tarraxahum

View Profile WWW

« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2023 @622.08 »

It can actually! They are just much more limited than the chrome ones and need to be added separately.
https://forum.melonland.net/index.php?topic=428.msg2722#msg2722

Oh hey, it worked this time! For some reason when I tried the Firefox-specific method before it didn't work... Must've been doing something wrong. Thank you!

By the way, speaking of browsers.

Does anyone have any dirt on why Opera is so generally unpopular (judging by the poll)?

The customization on the new Opera GX is reeeeally calling me to the dark side right now (instead of Brave, not Firefox, I'm not abandoning the fox)...

"Why change the past, when you can own this day?" (c)
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2023 @639.69 »

Does anyone have any dirt on why Opera is so generally unpopular (judging by the poll)?

Opera always had more of a serious vibe to me, it was for real adults who needed to do real things on the web. However I know it was the darling of people who loved customisation and it had a lot of unique productivity features.

From what I recall it was sold to a random Chinese company around 2017? They decided to get rid of all the customisation and turn it into a GAMING BROWSER FOR GAMERS!!  :tongue:

I dunno if the world needed a gaming browser, and I dunno how much I trust the company who owns it - but some people seem to enjoy it and there’s nothing wrong with that. It just feels like it changed from a niche browser to a gimmick browser  :drat:

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
Gans

Scrap Vulture

View Profile

First 1000 Members!€100 IRC InvestmentJoined 2022!
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2023 @329.18 »

Until 2013, Opera had its own browser engine, which would be terribly important to have nowadays, looking at some evil company dictating the next web standards. Nowadays, Opera is just another sprout of Blink.
nemmoue
Casual Poster ⚓︎

yeehaw

XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2023 @74.91 »

does anyone have more niche browser recommendations?  i've tried a lot of FF forks and i find them all to be pretty underwhelming... librewolf and waterfox are secure but break a ton of sites and can feel unusable, PM and seamonkey are fun and cool looking but also have trouble with newer sites and are generally very slow.. base FF itself is ridiculously heavy for older computers even with certain things tweaked.  and of course google Botnet is off the table... anyone had success with ungoogled chromium?  otter browser?  midori?  those were some of the options i remember poking my nose into a few months ago.. :dunno:
Gans

Scrap Vulture

View Profile

First 1000 Members!€100 IRC InvestmentJoined 2022!
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2023 @305.69 »

I guess the only solution is to have multiple browsers installed.

One browser for each situation. The light browsers for the "fun" experience. And for some sites that are incompatible, you use a big browser (Firefox or Chrome).

The browser market share is not looking nice at all (Chrome at 70%). Warning! Monopoly ahead!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:BrowserUsageShare.png

Midori had an excellent performance on my small netbook from 2009. And it's more compatible than the truely independent Netsurf. In terms of compatiblity, Midori is a bit weaker than Pale Moon, but also lighter.
lime360
Full Member ⚓︎

hi.

StatusCafe: lime360
iMood: lime360

View Profile WWW

« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2023 @310.43 »

does anyone have more niche browser recommendations?  i've tried a lot of FF forks and i find them all to be pretty underwhelming... librewolf and waterfox are secure but break a ton of sites and can feel unusable, PM and seamonkey are fun and cool looking but also have trouble with newer sites and are generally very slow.. base FF itself is ridiculously heavy for older computers even with certain things tweaked.  and of course google Botnet is off the table... anyone had success with ungoogled chromium?  otter browser?  midori?  those were some of the options i remember poking my nose into a few months ago.. :dunno:

mypal is a browser that works on windows xp, it uses pale moon but the rewrite uses firefox quantum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

POLL: How many personal sites have you built?

Started by xandraBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 30
Views: 4355
Last post January 11, 2024 @150.49
by xXWebMasterXx_Gina
Theme Poll - Do you like the forum theme?

Started by MelooonBoard ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions

Replies: 13
Views: 4973
Last post August 12, 2023 @742.86
by vvinrg
old MSPaint in browser

Started by DarmodejBoard ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links

Replies: 4
Views: 1624
Last post April 02, 2022 @344.05
by ramenwaitress

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi