Artifacts Gallery Guilds Search Wiki Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining?
Autumn, 10 Oct 2026 - @672.94
Forum Activity: Four Stars Random | Recent Posts | Guild Recents
News: There's a great big indie web tomorrow! :smile: Guild Events: Weekly zine jam 16: Games
Super News: ~~MelonLand's Halloween Profile Design Contest 2026~~
+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Computer Land
| |-+  ☑︎ ∙ Software & Data
| | |-+  Unconventional Art Software


« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print Embed
Author Topic: Unconventional Art Software  (Read 14901 times)
NinAcTi0N
Casual Poster ⚓︎
*
View Profile WWW


Fellow artist, web designer, and local birb :]
⛺︎ My Room
iMood: NinAcTi0N

Artifacts:
Joined 2024!
« Reply #15 on: Autumn, 27 Sep 2025 @142 » Toggle Font Embed

i might have a good substitute for you! i just discovered cosmic blobs a few days ago, and it's like a mix between paint 3d and kidpix. it's a lot of fun to use and has a pretty impressive amount of depth in what you can make with it. i haven't done much 3d modeling before, but i picked this up super quickly and made this cool little computer guy!

https://files.catbox.moe/mkul1h.gif

(also, here's an alternative download link that might have more features? this one says it's the deluxe version, but only comes as a cdr file so it'd be a bit more annoying to install on windows/linux)

I'm ABSOLUTELY in LOVE with this aesthetic... I received a ping in this post, and the first thing I saw was your comment, and I'm in awe that a software like this exists <33 I'll be looking forward to trying it out for sure!!  :chef:

Logged

https://i.ibb.co/X8K5Shz/NA.gif https://i.ibb.co/QrjSWqs/Newbutton-ezgif-com-effects.gif https://pastelhello.com/buttons/ninasan.png https://i.ibb.co/2tsfrzQ/Nina-blinkie.gif
Limette
Full Member ⚓︎
***
View Profile WWWArt


⛺︎ My Room
iMood: Limette
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!I got robbed by Dan Q on Melonland!Joined 2025!
« Reply #16 on: Winter, 05 Dec 2025 @575 » Toggle Font Embed

Ellpisus seems to be EXACTLY what I need :0

I've been writing with my friend on Toyhouse since it was a bit more structured than google docs and let us collaborate, but Ellipsus seems way better for that. I just need to convince her to use it as well.


Also, I have something for the music list! Another friend introduced me to Strudel REPL in which you can write code to make music. I haven't done much with it, since I'm no musician, but it looks like there's a lot you can do in it. It's all in the browser, too.

Logged

https://limette.neocities.org/assets/limette.gifhttps://file.garden/aJDdYDydqnG0q1NR/blinkies/exinc.gif
hikatamika
Jr. Member ⚓︎
**
View Profile WWW


Alien from Pluto
⛺︎ My Room
RSS: RSS

Artifacts:
Sonic - SA2 Life IconTVred crossJoined 2025!England
« Reply #17 on: Winter, 05 Dec 2025 @912 » Embed

Does Databending as an entire concept count? IE: Audacity as a "visual art"/"illustration" software?



I used to do this a lot in college, and want to reintroduce it back into my art process for some works.

Logged

https://cdn.imgchest.com/files/25297249ea1b.png
Rol
Full Member ⚓︎
***
View Profile WWW


⛺︎ My Room

Artifacts:
First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #18 on: Winter, 10 Dec 2025 @776 » Toggle Font Embed

Speaking of animation, I wonder if anyone would be able to bring GoAnimate back from the dead...? I find it extremely limiting, but sometimes that's where creativity shines thru.

The people who were passionate about GoAnimate enough, in fact, ARE keeping it going! “Wrapper: Offline,” I think it was called. :cheesy:

Logged
Corrupted Unicorn
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWWArt


Unicorns aren't meant to stay forever
⛺︎ My Room
iMood: moodyunicorn

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Unicorn of the InternetSurbypink pigeon prizeyou are un-bear-ably cool!Rainbow Noodle Dance!Scrafty, I choose you!
« Reply #19 on: Winter, 21 Dec 2025 @834 » Toggle Font Embed

    I'm back with some more unconventional art software, which might include a side of games:

    • Tupitube: Free animation software oriented towards introducing children and teens to the art of animation. Looks more like professional software instead of an animation-flavoured Kidpix, but you can customize it (I have mine in an ugly shade of green just for kicks  :tongue: ) and its Youtube channel has plenty of tutorials explaining how it works (and I really appreciate documentation given software like this)
    • Art Sqool:
    A 3D platformer game that comes with an art program! You play as an art student exploring a colorful geometric 3D world, looking for inspiration, swatches and brushes! Your "professor" gives you prompts and everything, but it can get a bit eyestrainy tho, be mindful of that.

Logged

https://corruptedunicorn.neocities.org/images/gifs/robotuni.gif
https://i.gpx.plus/sFmfu/c15.png

Artifact Swap: From Tuffy with ❤️Snake CreatureFlower CreatureCrystalFeather StoneWave Stone
kringle
Full Member ⚓︎
***
View Profile WWWArt


barkbarkbark
⛺︎ My Room
XMPP: Chat!

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Still HungryClownWan wan!frog bearYou Gotta Believe!tool (for helping others)
« Reply #20 on: Winter, 22 Jan 2026 @898 » Toggle Font Embed

my FAV FAV FAV unconventional art software is heavy paint , it's made by an artist who does a lot of plein-air painting and wanted a drawing program with a non-traditional workflow to encourage shape based thinking. like, EVERY brush has color jitter. it's super fun to use and while it can be a challenge to create more finished pieces in it its a fun journey, and its also hella fun just to mess w/the brushes. :ozwomp:

you have to buy it to export your work but you can use it for free online to try it out, and then like just take screenshots when your done.

If I Recall Correctly theres an annual community event w/the people that use the program called heavypaint january (its one of those draw every day a la inktober situations) but i wasnt able to participate this year :(



Logged

https://kringle-c.neocities.org/13420134_2a89e.gif

Artifact Swap: Sailor MoonSleepyMinicraftsagittariusleoarieslil calSlayer
virtualpet2001
Full Member ⚓︎
***
View Profile WWWArt


getting hard to be someone but it all works out
⛺︎ My Room

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Joined 2026!Water Creature
« Reply #21 on: Winter, 23 Jan 2026 @318 » Toggle Font Embed

for years i would occasionally bump into, forget about, and then rediscover the magic of BOMOMO:
https://bomomo.com/
which is just a website where you make abstract art using dynamically-moving shapes. its not much of a true art program considering how uncontrollable the shapes are and that you can't choose what color to draw with. but it can make some very pretty things

there's also BECOME A GREAT ARTIST IN JUST 10 SECONDS in which you can make art by mashing on your keyboard. its fun

EDIT!!!: omg i forgot about Magical Sketch where you can turn 2d shapes to 3d. the engine used for this was used in games like Graffiti Kingdom and Amazing Island! though unfortunately the only free edition that can be found is the jankiest and most lackluster version. Id like to check out the paid version someday...

« Last Edit: Winter, 23 Jan 2026 @324 by virtualpet2001 » Logged

https://cloudgazer.neocities.org/links/cloudgazer.png
oldmurray34
Casual Poster ⚓︎
*
View Profile


Tiny ape dukin' it out
⛺︎ My Room

Artifacts:
Joined 2026!
« Reply #22 on: Winter, 23 Jan 2026 @365 » Toggle Font Embed

While not using it myself, but some of you, visual art people, might get a kick out of this one

https://private-user-images.githubusercontent.com/261501/378105870-3bdb0c46-7f21-4514-9b48-ac00ca62e68e.gif?jwt=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJpc3MiOiJnaXRodWIuY29tIiwiYXVkIjoicmF3LmdpdGh1YnVzZXJjb250ZW50LmNvbSIsImtleSI6ImtleTUiLCJleHAiOjE3NjkxNTQyODMsIm5iZiI6MTc2OTE1Mzk4MywicGF0aCI6Ii8yNjE1MDEvMzc4MTA1ODcwLTNiZGIwYzQ2LTdmMjEtNDUxNC05YjQ4LWFjMDBjYTYyZTY4ZS5naWY_WC1BbXotQWxnb3JpdGhtPUFXUzQtSE1BQy1TSEEyNTYmWC1BbXotQ3JlZGVudGlhbD1BS0lBVkNPRFlMU0E1M1BRSzRaQSUyRjIwMjYwMTIzJTJGdXMtZWFzdC0xJTJGczMlMkZhd3M0X3JlcXVlc3QmWC1BbXotRGF0ZT0yMDI2MDEyM1QwNzM5NDNaJlgtQW16LUV4cGlyZXM9MzAwJlgtQW16LVNpZ25hdHVyZT1jNjhhNGM4NTFhN2RiMThhM2RlODA5NTE5NzU1MWNiMmFjNWRmYjAyZmQyNGMwZmFkMjUzOGYwNTZmNGRlNzJiJlgtQW16LVNpZ25lZEhlYWRlcnM9aG9zdCJ9.aJHtWXUSkpkJVa5LtH7L5xdy9yMOxKUrs-RrvbvJzSw
This is Durdraw! MS-DOS-like ANSI editing software, that is working out of your terminal (so probably for UNIX systems only, but I haven't checked). It even can create animations  :chef:

Logged

"The sea remains; the House remains; what else remains, we shall learn in time. I am something new, and in time I will learn what that means..."

"The shapes that loped beside you in the frost,
The scraps you gleaned of caul and periost
Once these were answers to 'What May Be Lost?'"
Rubbereon
Sr. Member ⚓︎
****
View Profile WWWArt


⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!
OS: Linux 🐧

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
NoSmoking!Hope, the silliest ink kittayyVisited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Joined 2025!
« Reply #23 on: Spring, 01 Mar 2026 @967 » Embed

This is a great thread for what I'm working on.

I'm making a blog post for alternative software that doesn't rely on ai.

Some examples I hand-picked:

And I'll probably add some apps from this thread.

Since the thread also includes links to games, I'd like to say that I made a thread for something called Knytt Stories. You can check it here: http://egomassive.com/  :omg:

Also GoAnimate is really not what it used to be, so if you want the authentic experience for some "caillou gets grounded" animation there is flashthemes  :innocent:

I know I'm not adding much to the discussion, but there ain't a bookmark thread feature, so I comment to bookmark the threads indirectly.

« Last Edit: Spring, 01 Mar 2026 @979 by Rubbereon » Logged

https://bettysgraphics.neocities.org/images/animals/cat%20695.gifFuzzy fwiendhttps://bettysgraphics.neocities.org/images/animals/cat%20696.gifhttps://bettysgraphics.neocities.org/images/animals/cat%20697.gif
https://rubbereon.nekoweb.org/img/penguin.gifLinux userhttps://rubbereon.nekoweb.org/img/penguin.gif
↓ All my web profiles are available on this website ↓
https://fursona.directory/@rubbereon :goL:
https://rubbereon.nekoweb.org/img/tabs.gifhttps://rubbereon.nekoweb.org/img/idiotsticker.pnghttps://rubbereon.nekoweb.org/img/iblockads.gif

Artifact Swap: Green SpiffoJust CheeseCourage smiley
RedBird
Newbie ⚓︎
*
View Profile WWW


Chirp chirp chirp!
⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
Itch.io: My Games

Artifacts:
First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #24 on: Spring, 29 Mar 2026 @273 » Toggle Font Embed

I love making art with Kid Pix, Cosmic Blobs, Electric Zine Maker, KolourPaint, GIMP, 3D Movie Maker, and similar tools, so it's great to learn about more stuff like those!

There's a cool software called Imagynasium where you collect various objects and sounds, and use them to make collages, simple animations, and fun pictures! :cheesy:  It only runs in a Windows 9x virtual machine or Wine on Linux though. There's an article for it on Obscuritory with more info.

Another favorite of mine is Doodle-mation, which allows you to create simple animations with shapes, paths, and color effects (including color cycling). It runs in Windows 3.1 in DOSBox. Compute Magazine reviewed it here.

Also, I found an unofficial online port of Simpsons Cartoon Studio, right here!

Logged


Magic Lunar Petz
“A book is a door, you know. Always and forever. A book is a door into another place and another heart and another world.”

― Catherynne M. Valente, The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There
rnottelovesowls
Sr. Member ⚓︎
****
View Profile WWWArt


if i don’t respond it’s because i’m eepy
⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: rnottelovesowls
iMood: rnottelovesowls
RSS: RSS
OS: Windows 7

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Joined 2025!
« Reply #25 on: Spring, 29 Mar 2026 @724 » Toggle Font Embed

my favorite unconventional art app is Looom, by iorama studio. it’s a 2D flipbook animation app that takes the normally laborious task of animation, and turns it into something more akin to a DJ turntable: fluid, fun, and with lots of spinning things. it’s the app i use for all my animation work, and if you have an iPad and want to get into 2D animation, i highly recommend it

Logged

RNOTTÉ
https://bear-images.sfo2.cdn.digitaloceanspaces.com/rnotte/img_7455.gif
Knotnu
Casual Poster ⚓︎
*
View Profile WWWArt


Knotnu or not new
⛺︎ My Room

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Joined 2026!
« Reply #26 on: Spring, 01 May 2026 @613 » Embed

A suggestion for the list which I'm not sure if anyone use or suggested in the list. Inkscape to make interactive maps with svgs. And is great with custom maps in general but didn't use it in that purpose yet since pixiart already cover that part in my bargin.

Overall, I should check what's within the list so that I can make more improvements!

Logged

https://knotnu.neocities.org/Main%20Page/KnotnuBanner.gif

Artifact Swap: I met Dan Q on Melonland!corge
lakes
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWW


⛺︎ My Room
XMPP: Chat!
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Joined 2025!
« Reply #27 on: Spring, 01 May 2026 @672 » Embed

i mean, Aseprite looks good, but i have no moneyyy!!  :ozwomp:  plus i make pixel art in KP as well lol
eh, i'd rather just wing it with KolourPaint. MS Paint was good but i can't tolerate Windows anymore at all unfortunately.
also my laptop has GIMP but it's entirely just for removing backgrounds on things.

Have you tried Pixelorama? It's a pixel art program. It's available as a flatpak, a windows executable, a steam "game" and an itch.io "game." So you can pretty much use it on any platform. I tried it and it was alright. It can also do gifs and animation too.

Logged

https://i.ibb.co/gbj9yhcZ/userbar-1.pnghttps://i.ibb.co/C3KKzjyx/Computeruser.png
https://i.ibb.co/zhKYtXts/Librebar-X.pnghttps://i.ibb.co/b5mC7H6H/DVDUser.png
https://i.ibb.co/GfCkM0g1/soulseekuserbar.pnghttps://i.ibb.co/0jRYyw7R/Trash-User.png
https://i.ibb.co/gLNfFjqc/098.pnghttps://i.ibb.co/QjqVW8xT/xfceuserbar.png
Noah_S
Sr. Member ⚓︎
****
View Profile WWWArt


Noah. Earth. I make website. I.. I.. Noah. Earth.
⛺︎ My Room
iMood: Noah_S
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
funguyVisited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!I got robbed by Dan Q on Melonland!I met Dan Q on Melonland!A coin!Enby
« Reply #28 on: Spring, 27 May 2026 @777 » Toggle Font Embed

I use paint.NET (software). They have a lot of custom extensions.

Logged

perfectionist_better.gifweb_designer.gifspeed_of_time.gifbutton290.pngmy_dream_wedding.gifClippy beats AI

Artifact Swap: Large watercraftGrowing ballwhen life gives you crab make mailMelonland has encountered a bugMerry Christmasblack n yellow yappin kittayMessage BuddylaptopYarn kitty
Pages: 1 [2] Print Embed 
« previous next »
 

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021 | Privacy Notice | Send Feedback | Supporters ♥ Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP | Mobile


MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi
@000 Melon
Land
Forum Art Hub Chat Webring Explore Random Recent Tenement Arcade Want to Login or Join ? Web Craft Guide Graphic Catalogue Wiki Help I'm Lost! Link Land Newsletters Image Stream Minecraft: Online
Zap!
Passport Sites tamaNOTchi Asatte Add your site?
Aero Archive Onio Cafe 32 Bit Cafe Status Cafe