Home Entrance Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
March 29, 2024 - @296.48 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 46/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :transport: :transport: More is More :transport: :transport:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Forum Hub
| |-+  ❤︎ ∙ Greetings and Introductions
| | |-+  Newbie here introducting myself

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Newbie here introducting myself  (Read 891 times)
TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« on: July 10, 2022 @770.13 »

Hello everyone! I've been reading through this forum for a while now and really enjoying it, so I thought I'd sign up for an account and introduce myself.

I go by Bekah (she/her), and mostly enjoy making art and music. I'm super into Sci-fi, and I've been a Trekkie ever since I can remember. I'm in my 30s now, so I actually experienced the Old Web when it was blossoming during the early 2000s, and I learned how to make webpages for the first time on Neopets. After that I had a series of free webpages that I moved from host to host as I ran into limitations or places closed. I eventually let them all expire and get wiped as the web "grew up" and it was no longer the cool thing to do.

For several years I worked as a web developer, and while I learned a lot, it's not something I'd go back to doing. Besides the fact that it's a very different job now, monetizing my hobbies always takes away the fun from them, and I basically prefer to build my own dream this days rather than someone else's.

I still work in tech, but I've switched to a sys-admin role these days, and in my spare time I've been exploring revival sites here, on Neocities, and elsewhere. I did consider setting up my own Neocities account, but eventually decided to pay for separate hosting for two reasons: I felt I would have more control long-term, and I wanted to use PHP, which is almost never offered by free hosts. Unfortunately this has meant that I miss out on the more social networking aspects of Neocities, but I still like visiting people's sites and interacting with them. My site is here if you're interested in looking at it:

http://thefrugalgamer.net

I think it's really cool that there are so many people who are discovering the Indie Web and joining in, especially those who are doing it for the first time. I don't expect that the sites I make now will ever get huge followings or make any money, and I hope they stay that way. Everything here is a beautiful break from the "hustle culture" that I get so tired off these days (yes, I know I'm getting old :tongue:)

Edit: welp, I went and posted on the wrong board. Whoops. If there's a way to switch it to the other one please let me know! I can't seem to find an option to move it myself.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2022 @771.70 by TheFrugalGamer » Logged

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2022 @775.13 »

Hi Bekah!

I think it would've been better if you posted this in the actual introductions section but hey. XD
I see you noticed! Don't worry, Melon will probably move it. You don't have to do anything.

That said, super cool to have you here! I'm also a trekkie although I am quite a bit younger than you (born 2001). We should open a Trek thread though! (By the way DS9 > VOY > ENT > TNG > LD > TOS > TAS and if you disagree I will pout. Just kidding.)

I also selfhost my website because I think "libre.town" looks way cooler than "libretown.neocities.com" or whatever the format is. It's just a preference.

Your website is cute by the way! It's SO small on my 2.8k screen though. ;P The pixel art is extremely cute! I think I will yank a few for my own site (with modifications)! x) I will give credit of course. Oh and thank you so much for the graphics collection. I think I talked too much now though!

Anyway, have fun!
TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2022 @790.58 »

Lol, yeah I had the Intro board on one tab, and the Community board in another, and clicked on the "new topic" button in the wrong one. Then I wondered where my Intro board tab had gone.

Thanks for looking at my site! I still need to restyle it for mobile, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I hate the whole "collapsing into one massive column menu" thing that most modern sites do, so I need to figure out how I'll arrange everything. I like your site too! The village idea is really fun, and I'm excited to see what you do with it!

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2022 @960.21 »

Hiii welcome to the forooom! :ha: Im a long standing Trekkie too (Although I refuse to watch anything made after Voyager), I started rewatching from the start of NextGen in the pandemic and Im nearly done with Voyager again... Whats your favourite?

Neocities is great for beginners, but its far from perfect, the social aspect can be stressful, and uploading/loading is a bit slow; so don't feel too bad about not using it. I think its prob better not to have everyones site on the same host anyway!

I enjoy your sims page, did "'Butthead' Mary Jane Ann Uglypoor" every accomplish her schemes?? :ozwomp:

Ooo-- You've Received Melon's Welcome Pack --ooO
* If you haven't already check out the forum welcome post, and forum usage guide!
* New to website making? Here is a complete(ish) guide!
* Visit your look/layout to pick a theme and set a default colour/font for your messages!
* Feeling shy and unsure what to do? Maybe post a song you like here!
* Finally don't forget to share the forum and invite friends! We have some way cool graphics over here!

If there's a way to switch it to the other one please let me know! I can't seem to find an option to move it myself.
You can actually move your own topics; scroll down to the very end past all the posts and there should be a "move topic" button! Its done anyone though!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2022 @963.46 by Melooon » Logged

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
BradE
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2022 @55.64 »

Hi Bekah,

Welcome to the forums. I like your site. I like sites with sidebars, but good luck on not having it "collapse into one massive column menu" for your mobile version. That's what mine does and it annoys me but I'm not giving up the sidebars.

Anyway, welcome aboard.
TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2022 @123.89 »

Thank you Melooon! I found the move topic link easily after reading your message. *the more you know...*

Voyager was my favorite growing up, but as I've aged I've realized TNG is where most of my favorites are. I didn't watch DS9 until I was older, but I've learned to appreciate that one too. My friend group never liked it, but I think they gave up on it too easily. I have some folks now who are trying to convince me to try Strange New Worlds, and I am...pretty hesitant about it. I haven't seen any yet, but the other reboots I've watched so far haven't been great.

As for my vengeful sims, lol, Butthead Mary Jane is still struggling to get her grades up at the moment. I should probably update as I play through the family more. I'm sure there will be much chaos :evil:

BradE: I'm determined! I'll come up with something eventually. It's a work in progress, like all sites.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi