Home Entrance Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
March 29, 2024 - @562.89 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 46/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ha: :pc: Hello Melonland! :pc: :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  © ∙ Music Room
| | |-+  Favorite Plunderphonics?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Favorite Plunderphonics?  (Read 797 times)
nsequeira119
Casual Poster

SpaceHey: Friend Me!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« on: July 19, 2022 @383.72 »

As someone whose music borders on being plunderphonic, what are your favorite plunderphonic bands/songs? I'm not talking vaporwave or projects which infrequently sample, I'm talking straight plunderphonics, songs which use mostly samples, with most of the samples in question being weird, eccentric, and vaguely recognizable, but only to the extent that they create an unnerving sense of recognition within the listener. Stuff which utilizes all the junk down at the thrift store to its full potential.

I have to say my two favorite bands within the genre are definitely The Bran Flakes and The Tape-Beatles. I like the Bran Flakes for their coherent worldbuilding and aesthetic, their fun spontaneity and their free-spirited drive, as well as their contributions to Internet culture. The Tape-Beatles, on the other hand, are hard and contemplative, I've listened to several tape-Beatles albums in full and they can get pretty intense with how much they chop up their material.

I have to say, however, that the greatest piece of plunderphonics I've ever heard or will ever likely hear was entirely by accident. In a playlist, I ran across People Like Us's song, "Ever," which is one of the most insane and deeply moving examples of the genre I've ever witnessed:

The full album this song is from isn't very notable, however this song stands out from the rest and surpasses the crowd. It's multiple late-60s easy listening tracks compiled into one mind-blowing, entirely cohesive new piece which sounds just like a standard late-60s easy listening track. The cuts are virtually unrecognizable, it's just like someone time-traveled back to the 60s and assembled a supergroup of all these separate bands to create one brain-bleeding orchestral assemblage.

For that, I have to hand it to Vicki Bennett: While "Ever" may not be the most interesting Plunderphonics piece, or the most experimental, it does achieve what few Plunderphonics songs do: to create the illusion of cohesion among chaos, to instill false memories. As someone who enjoys late-60s easy listening along the lines of Henry Mancini and Bert Kaempfert, I cannot stop listening to this thing. It seems every time I go back there's something new in the mix. This thing is haunted.

How about you? Any plunderphonics tracks out there which you feel could surpass this one, or which stand out in some way? Lemme know!

Aw HECK yeah!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2022 @659.10 »

I didn't know that was its name, but I do know that the absolute kings of it are the Avalanches.

Both of these tracks consist ENTIRELY of samples. Nothing else.
Janus
Casual Poster

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2022 @0.67 »

I gotta put in a mention for John Oswald if we're going with the "plunderphonics" terminology, which he coined - I'm a big fan of his semi-official Grateful Dead collaboration, "Grayfolded" - noteworthy for having every living and dead musician from the band's storied lineup included by way of sampling 20+ years of the same jazzy psychedelic jam centerpiece, ":grin:ark Star", cut-up into a symphonic 2-hour trip.

Not sure if the extended playlist can embed, but trying anyways

[siggy under construction]
Oppositekeith
Casual Poster

dont careful with that axe eugene

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2022 @343.60 »

the rockwood escape plan definitely deserves a mention here when in talks of plunderphonics.its so good.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

What are some of your favorite 404 pages?

Started by Icey!Board ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 13
Views: 3002
Last post November 11, 2023 @846.81
by wetnoodle
[Open Call] Favorite Recipes

Started by NightdriftBoard ☺︎ ∙ General Interests

Replies: 4
Views: 1616
Last post December 16, 2021 @301.70
by cinni
If you had the ability to eat anything, what would be your new favorite food?

Started by Icey!Board ☕︎ ∙ Fun & Forum Games

Replies: 29
Views: 2936
Last post November 07, 2023 @809.28
by Capybara

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi