Artifacts Gallery Guilds Search Wiki Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining?
Autumn, 30 Sep 2026 - @90.56
Forum Activity: Three Stars Random | Recent Posts | Guild Recents
News: There's a great big indie web tomorrow! :smile: Guild Events: TIME FOR HALLOWEEN CRAFTS!
Super News: ~~MelonLand's Halloween Profile Design Contest 2026~~
+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Art & Writing
| |-+  ✑ ∙ Books & Stationery
| | |-+  What book(s) are you reading right now?


« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Print Embed
Author Topic: What book(s) are you reading right now?  (Read 22559 times)
El_Duderino_14
Newbie
*
View Profile

⛺︎ My Room

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Joined 2026!
« Reply #60 on: Spring, 07 May 2026 @830 » Embed

Currently reading through The Autumn of Life by Bernhard Schlink (guess that would be the English translation). It's an interesting read about an old man given a few weeks to live due to an aggressive cancer as he tries to navigate his life with his much younger wife and their child. He begins writing a letter for his son to read when he turns 16, and I'm currently in part two of the work, where he finds that his wife is cheating on him (a little cheesy yes), but it works within the story I feel.

Recently, I finished Letter to a Priest by Simone Weil, and prior to that Numero Zero by Umberto Eco, and Big Sur by Jack Kerouac.

After I finish my current read I will be moving on to The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte, and my favorite comics Dylan Dog and Dampyr by Bonelli comics.

Logged
pepper
Sr. Member ⚓︎
****
View Profile WWWArt


🐾 local furry punk ⛥ she/her
⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: mildlypepper
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Joined 2025!SpiffoI met Dan Q on Melonland!pepperartemissodie
« Reply #61 on: Spring, 08 May 2026 @990 » Toggle Font Embed

my library didn't have Seveneves but I did pick up Zodiac. I really enjoy Stephenson's smary-ass protagonists, I can see how the protag of this one influenced how he wrote Hiro in Snow Crash. Only nearing the end of the first act-ish but it's an enjoyable little paperback so far

Logged

  :dog:  I'm verbose. Sorry! (not sorry)

https://mildlypepper.net/media/buttons/pepper-button.png     https://mildlypepper.net/media/gif_collection/noai_tiny.png

Artifact Swap: Monster CreatureSquirtle!!!!
Memory
Guest

« Reply #62 on: Spring, 08 May 2026 @037 » Embed

I'm currently finishing the first book in the Dungeon Crawler Carl series and just started Fourth Wing.

Logged
WaybackGuy
Jr. Member ⚓︎
**
View Profile WWW


⛺︎ My Room

Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Joined 2025!
« Reply #63 on: Spring, 09 May 2026 @049 » Toggle Font Embed

The Sea of Fertility Cycle...
Book 3... The Temple of Dawn
By Yukio Mishima

Logged
vampiredazai
Casual Poster ⚓︎
*
View Profile WWW


⛺︎ My Room

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Joined 2026!
« Reply #64 on: Spring, 17 May 2026 @208 » Embed

I just finished The Great When by Alan Moore. I had read some of his comics--Swamp Thing, Watchmen, V for Vendetta -- and am a huge fan of that eccentric genius. I wanted to read one of his novels and the description of the Great When was too intriguing to resist. It's set in London just around after WWII and is about an orphan who stumbles into the occult and learns of a parallel London--the London that exists and has existed in people's minds. It's full of real historical characters who I'd never heard of like Austin Osman Spare--look up his art and be prepared for some SURREAL images. I really enjoyed it and can't wait for the next novel in the series--it's part of a planned quintet with each novel set in a different decade of the 20th century. It's a strange, strange novel but in a good way though maybe not for everyone. His dialogue in his comics always stands-out and this novel is no different. Because it's set in the less "respectable" part of London, the character's speak with intense color.
I tend to read multiple things at once--balancing one hard book with lighter fair. Today I checked from my local library Herald of a Restless World by Emily Herring. It's about the French philosopher Henri Bergson. I have an interest in the philosophy of math and science--I'm studying math education. I'm interested in different approaches. Despite being a math prodigy, Bergson was often on the receiving end of some harsh criticism from others for "being bad at math and science." It's really fascinating to see how rivalries can determine what gets promoted as good math and science, and what as bad math and science. DON'T LET ANYONE TELL YOU MATH IS JUST ACCOUNTING!!! It's more like art and literature!!!
I'm also getting into light novels and am reading through My Young Romantic Comedy is Wrong as Expected series.
I like all books--hard, easy, good, bad and everything in-between!
Keeping reading :mark: 

« Last Edit: Spring, 17 May 2026 @229 by vampiredazai » Logged
WaybackGuy
Jr. Member ⚓︎
**
View Profile WWW


⛺︎ My Room

Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Joined 2025!
« Reply #65 on: Spring, 17 May 2026 @539 » Toggle Font Embed

Wrapping up The Decay of the Angel, book 4 in The Sea of Fertility tetralogy by Yukio Mishima.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/8c/TheSeaOfFertility.jpg/250px-TheSeaOfFertility.jpghttps://static1.ara.cat/clip/d93a4d82-9d3a-455e-8d2b-52f4df9bb89a_16-9-aspect-ratio_default_1054975.jpg


Up next... Life: A User's Manual by Georges Perec.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e1/Life_A_User%27s_Manual.jpg/250px-Life_A_User%27s_Manual.jpg?utm_source=en.wikipedia.org&utm_campaign=parser&utm_content=thumbnailhttps://www.211pix.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Young-perec.jpg

Logged
bugholder's epiphany
Sr. Member ⚓︎
****
View Profile WWW


why do they call it oven
⛺︎ My Room

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #66 on: Spring, 17 May 2026 @718 » Toggle Font Embed

Been going through 1984, it's been a very... interesting read to put it lightly, aha. I would be getting through it quicker but unfortunately, I've been working a lot lately so I have to go through it in like small intervals at home whenever I'm not working at my job or working on something at home. Very good thing to read though, enjoying it.

Logged
Horsey Chobunso
Full Member ⚓︎
***
View Profile WWWArt


give me convenience or give me death
⛺︎ My Room

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Joined 2026!
« Reply #67 on: Spring, 20 May 2026 @038 » Embed

I've gotten to the last section of A Fire Upon The Deep by Vernor Vinge. It's been an incredible ride that I really don't want to end. I don't think its particularly groundbreaking in Sci-Fi now or at its release, but its an incredibly well executed and well written space opera that I never want to put down.

After I finish that, I'll be working through the first 10 volumes of Gachiakuta because my friend just let me borrow them.

Logged

https://i.postimg.cc/hGyqKcSz/disconnected.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/mr8VqrT5/Horsey-Chobunso.gif
Roxie / Eight !
Jr. Member ⚓︎
**
View Profile WWWArt


it/its - butch thing
⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
iMood: jesteraddict
OS: Firefox

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Lesbian NeurodivergentJoined 2026!Garfield pookie plush
« Reply #68 on: Spring, 20 May 2026 @252 » Toggle Font Embed

Finally getting back into reading my favourite book series, Chaos Walking by Patrick Ness, by re-reading the first book in the series, The Knife Of Never Letting Go :D

I never finished the series, I have an issue with books where if I read for long enough I will get entirely lost on a page and will not be able to retain anything, and that happened when I was nearing the middle of the second book

I got an e-reader app for my 3DS and have been reading the book there. It actually gets me to read more due to it being way smaller than the book itself (I mean WAY smaller it is a fairly large book) and the novelty of reading on the system keeps me coming back to read on it

After that I'll get back to reading the 2nd book in the series, and (finally after 3 years) will get to the 3rd book in the series :grin: 

Logged

" Pale summer moonlight shimmers on the seafloor.
An octopus, unaware that dawn will bring capture,
Rests within a trap, dreaming fleeting dreams...
"

https://media.tenor.com/eBiX3AIwjRkAAAAi/splatoon-2-octo-expansion.gif

Artifact Swap: Pink starI met Dan Q on Melonland!Swingin' CatLil DSMiku TwirlyTetrisCircusNintendo DSi!Game Boy Color!Shrimp changing a lightbulb
_ghost_
Full Member ⚓︎
***
View Profile WWW


⛺︎ My Room

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Cheese wheel. +5 writing inspirationMelonland's Local Ghost !Joined 2025!
« Reply #69 on: Spring, 26 May 2026 @693 » Toggle Font Embed

I've just started War and Peace. It's been on my list of books to read for forever, and I've roped a few friends into also reading it this summer. I'm hoping that having people to discuss with as I go will keep me from giving up on it. So far I'm really enjoying it!

Logged
pepper
Sr. Member ⚓︎
****
View Profile WWWArt


🐾 local furry punk ⛥ she/her
⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: mildlypepper
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Joined 2025!SpiffoI met Dan Q on Melonland!pepperartemissodie
« Reply #70 on: Summer, 12 Jun 2026 @252 » Toggle Font Embed

Finished Neal Stephenson's Zodiac! It's really fun!  :grin:

It was one of his earliest novels so I'm not holding it against him or anything but it isn't quite as prescient or insightful as Snow Crash or Interface. Still an awesome read though.

It's written in first person and follows the protagonist, an environmentalist trying very hard to punish toxic-criminal corporations through direct action while also avoiding the label of terrorist. It's written kind of in the style of a detective novel but instead of a murder it's a toxic waste spill and instead of Sam Spade you get the "Granola James Bond" in an inflatable motorboat who does lots of nitrous oxide.

Highly recommended  :dive: 

I have a library hold on Mary Jo Bang's translation of Dante's Inferno. From what I could tell I think this is the translation that I'll enjoy reading the most, as it supposedly maintains the general vibe of Dante's 14th century Tuscan jab at the contemporary Latin  :omg:

Logged

  :dog:  I'm verbose. Sorry! (not sorry)

https://mildlypepper.net/media/buttons/pepper-button.png     https://mildlypepper.net/media/gif_collection/noai_tiny.png

Artifact Swap: Monster CreatureSquirtle!!!!
WaybackGuy
Jr. Member ⚓︎
**
View Profile WWW


⛺︎ My Room

Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Joined 2025!
« Reply #71 on: Summer, 16 Jun 2026 @123 » Toggle Font Embed

You Dreamed of Empires by Álvaro Enrigue

The Beast: Riding the Rails and Dodging Narcos on the Migrant Trail by Óscar Martínez

The Other Name: Septology I-II by Jon Fosse

Didn't Nobody Give a Shit What Happened to Carlotta by James Hannaham

Logged
Metropolis
Sr. Member ⚓︎
****
View Profile


Filter the world through midnight coloured lenses
⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Joined 2025!
« Reply #72 on: Summer, 16 Jun 2026 @223 » Toggle Font Embed

going to get started on tales from the gas station!!!lets see how it is.. :transport:

Logged

This is not for you

https://blinkie-net.neocities.org/dividers/blue/23.gif
Dynaknights
Jr. Member ⚓︎
**
View Profile WWW


"When fate comes knockin'..."
⛺︎ My Room
XMPP: Chat!

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
I got robbed by Dan Q on Melonland!Spinning Star!MousyFunny BoneJoined 2026!
« Reply #73 on: Summer, 16 Jun 2026 @227 » Embed

At the time of writing, I'm halfway through both The Restaurant at the End of the Universe by Douglas Adams (which I started a bit after I finished The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy) and No Longer Human by Osamu Dazai. Two very different books, but I'm just reading whatever book comes to mind until I start school again. After those, I'm probably gonna try reading Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir since I've heard the movie's good (never watched it though!) and I greatly enjoyed The Martian (the book, I mean) by the same guy.
I also tried reading a bit of Dune by Frank Herbert today, but I had no clue what was happening... maybe because I was trying to listen to the audiobook while I worked... :(

Logged

https://web-surfer.neocities.org/assets/decor/wing1.gif In another, another, another universe in the far, far future...
Maybe, just maybe, I'll think of a better signature...
https://web-surfer.neocities.org/assets/decor/wing2.gif

https://web-surfer.neocities.org/assets/buttons/twws1.png https://web-surfer.neocities.org/assets/buttons/twws2.png https://web-surfer.neocities.org/assets/buttons/twws3.png

Artifact Swap: The Worm is creeping around Melonland profiles!Puppy DogUseless nested <div>Gallery CardArcadeVisited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!AmethystAwful Posts PacmannerdJellycat
Metropolis
Sr. Member ⚓︎
****
View Profile


Filter the world through midnight coloured lenses
⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Joined 2025!
« Reply #74 on: Summer, 16 Jun 2026 @238 » Toggle Font Embed

No Longer Human by Osamu Dazai.

@Dynaknights I genuinely would love to know ur thoughts on this book, everyone keeps on talking about how dark it is and stuff.

Logged

This is not for you

https://blinkie-net.neocities.org/dividers/blue/23.gif
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Print Embed 
« previous next »
 

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021 | Privacy Notice | Send Feedback | Supporters ♥ Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP | Mobile


MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi
@000 Melon
Land
Forum Art Hub Chat Webring Explore Random Recent Tenement Arcade Want to Login or Join ? Web Craft Guide Graphic Catalogue Wiki Help I'm Lost! Link Land Newsletters Image Stream Minecraft: Online
Zap!
Passport Sites tamaNOTchi Asatte Add your site?
Aero Archive Onio Cafe 32 Bit Cafe Status Cafe