Artifacts Gallery Guilds Search Wiki Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining?
Autumn, 30 Sep 2026 - @90.38
Forum Activity: Three Stars Random | Recent Posts | Guild Recents
News: :ha: :pc: Hello Melonland! :pc: :happy: Guild Events: MelonLand's Seasonal RPG Jam
Super News: ~~MelonLand's Halloween Profile Design Contest 2026~~
+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Art & Writing
| |-+  ✑ ∙ Books & Stationery
| | |-+  What book(s) are you reading right now?


« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Print Embed
Author Topic: What book(s) are you reading right now?  (Read 22558 times)
candycanearter07
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWWArt


i like slimes
⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: candycanearter
Itch.io: My Games
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!it's tbhchansey!Goomy, I Choose You!uh oh! a pigeon got in!Artsy Candy Cane
« Reply #75 on: Summer, 16 Jun 2026 @481 » Toggle Font Embed

At the time of writing, I'm halfway through both The Restaurant at the End of the Universe by Douglas Adams (which I started a bit after I finished The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

Hitchhikers Guide is legitimately one of my favorite series ever!! I have the More than complete collection on hand and frequently go and read some of it. It's absolutely influenced my humor and stuff and even if the fourth book is very confusing, it still has a similar energy to the rest of the series which is fun

Logged

new to oldnet be nice
https://status.cafe/users/candycanearter/badge.png https://abslimeware.neocities.org/assets/images/blinkers/penguins.gif

https://abslimeware.neocities.org/assets/images/blinkers/slimebounce.gif https://card.exophase.com/2/0/268504.png?1727352149

https://i.imgur.com/S1cx8ZZ.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/7ntZZGM.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/xKIpW2A.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/YMPbu9R.png

Artifact Swap: buzzystickerSootBlob Creature
Dynaknights
Jr. Member ⚓︎
**
View Profile WWW


"When fate comes knockin'..."
⛺︎ My Room
XMPP: Chat!

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
I got robbed by Dan Q on Melonland!Spinning Star!MousyFunny BoneJoined 2026!
« Reply #76 on: Summer, 16 Jun 2026 @606 » Embed

@Dynaknights I genuinely would love to know ur thoughts on this book, everyone keeps on talking about how dark it is and stuff.
I really don't know what the hell to make of it thus far, but I'll write a post about it when I finish. :ok:

Logged

https://web-surfer.neocities.org/assets/decor/wing1.gif In another, another, another universe in the far, far future...
Maybe, just maybe, I'll think of a better signature...
https://web-surfer.neocities.org/assets/decor/wing2.gif

https://web-surfer.neocities.org/assets/buttons/twws1.png https://web-surfer.neocities.org/assets/buttons/twws2.png https://web-surfer.neocities.org/assets/buttons/twws3.png

Artifact Swap: The Worm is creeping around Melonland profiles!Puppy DogUseless nested <div>Gallery CardArcadeVisited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!AmethystAwful Posts PacmannerdJellycat
skye
Newbie ⚓︎
*
View Profile WWW


resident Oli Sykes fan
⛺︎ My Room

Artifacts:
Joined 2026!
« Reply #77 on: Summer, 17 Jun 2026 @122 » Embed

I'm listening to the Pride and Prejudice audiobook narrated by Kate Kellgren. My library has it on Libby! I have become an audiobook convert now. Mr. Bennet, what is going on with you??? I haven't really bought into Darcy yet, either, but I think I'll get there.

I'm reading multiple Kindle Unlimited romances as well. Always gotta get my indie fiction fix  :grin: . One thing I do want to read from a mainstream publisher is Green City Wars by Adrian Tchaikovsky. It's not on sale until 6/23, though. It's a noir detective story but the main characters are animals that live underneath the humans!? ugh I love noir, noir you are my beloved. I'm going to try and find it at a library.

Logged
rnottelovesowls
Sr. Member ⚓︎
****
View Profile WWWArt


if i don’t respond it’s because i’m eepy
⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: rnottelovesowls
iMood: rnottelovesowls
RSS: RSS
OS: Windows 7

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Joined 2025!
« Reply #78 on: Summer, 17 Jun 2026 @129 » Toggle Font Embed

i hope graphic novels count, because i've been reading Hooky by Míriam Bonastre Tur. starting life as a webtoon before being redrawn into a graphic novel format, this is a fantasy comedy-drama about 2 twin witch siblings who miss their first day of magic school, and after some mishaps with their new magic tutor in town, end up caught in the middle of a war between evil witches, good witches, humans who want peace, and humans who want witch-burning to be legal again. (it's outlawed, but people keep doing it unlawfully. arghh!) all the while, they're conflicted on which side to support, because... the evil witches' side includes their own family. uh-oh...

i read the first volume, thought "seriously, that's how it ends? what a downer!" ...before realizing there are 2 more volumes. and yeah, i really enjoyed the whole series, and i'm re-reading it now. if you're a fan of magic school comedies, and want one that's a graphic novel, Hooky will scratch that itch very much

EDIT: oh yeah, one more! i'm also re-reading Shugo Chara! by Peach-Pit. kodansha is releasing a 20th anniversary edition omnibus collection this year, with a MUCH better english translation than the previous one. (seriously, it's, to paraphrase a character's verbal tic, su good.) it's a magical girl series about a standoffish, cynical girl who's actually really shy and girly on the inside, and wants the courage to truly be herself, whatever that means. the magical girl mascot are the titular guardian characters, which are manifestations of a person's true self... and they come out of eggs! meanwhile, a sinister corporation called "easter" is purposefully corrupting children's "heart's eggs", and our heroine and her friends need to stop them

it's a fun all-ages series from the mid-2000s, yet one that i feel isn't talked about much among other iconic magical girl titles like Sailor Moon, Pretty Cure, or Cardcaptor Sakura. but i still think it's earned its stripes, and i will happily call myself a fan. and now that the 20th anniversary edition is here, if you've ever wanted to get into the series, now's the time

« Last Edit: Summer, 17 Jun 2026 @141 by rnottelovesowls » Logged

RNOTTÉ
https://bear-images.sfo2.cdn.digitaloceanspaces.com/rnotte/img_7455.gif
seallover
Casual Poster
*
View Profile WWW


i was forced to eat cement when i was 6 :(
⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Joined 2026!
« Reply #79 on: Summer, 20 Jun 2026 @965 » Toggle Font Embed

i'm (trying) to read "idol, burning" by rin usami!! my inability to read doesn't have anything to do with her writing, my brain is just too used to quick dopamine that it makes reading practically impossible :') BUT i persist!

it is about a high school girl who is in fandom spaces, and it reminds me so much of my younger self. i basically grew up on the internet, obsessing about one direction, and reading a book that tells a similar story is so interesting for me!

Logged


Artifact Swap: da sea lion
larvapuppy
Sr. Member ⚓︎
****
View Profile WWWArt


World's Worst Baby Seal
⛺︎ My Room
iMood: larvapuppy
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
CubesealSpheal, I Choose You!Wave MailsealFirst 1000 Members!Bisexual
« Reply #80 on: Summer, 20 Jun 2026 @286 » Toggle Font Embed

I'm reading Dawn by Octavia E. Butler. It was on my to-read list for awhile, but I was reminded to check it out from the library after reading a short story collection by the same author (Blood Child) a few weeks ago.

It's a sci-fi novel in which the Earth has been made uninhabitable by nuclear war. An alien species previously unknown to humankind gathers up (kidnaps?) all of the remaining living humans and confines them in stasis until the Earth has healed, saving humanity from extinction. There's a catch, though: in exchange, the humans' future children will not be fully human. They will have blended human and alien genes. This how the alien species evolves and propagates itself. The novel follows a woman named Lilith who acts as an intermediary between the alien species and a group of humans. It's great so far; I highly recommend it.

On the side, I'm also a few pages into Neuromancer by William Gibson (a cyberpunk novel), and in the middle of reading A House of Pomegranates by Oscar Wilde (a collection of fairy tale-style short stories written for adults).

Logged

Newest Clothing

Artifact Swap: HE WATCHES YOUcup 4 uStripe²happy shirousa
citizenalex
Casual Poster ⚓︎
*
View Profile WWWArt


⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: citizenalex
Matrix: Chat!

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Joined 2026!
« Reply #81 on: Summer, 23 Jun 2026 @122 » Toggle Font Embed

So what books are you reading right now? What do you think of them so far?

I'm reading Platform Decay by Martha Wells, part of the Murderbot series. :happy:  I'm very much enjoying the sarcastic humor. I'm also reading Economics by Ha-Joon Chang and The Federalist Papers. The Federalist Papers are annoying me because it's quite evident that the Founding Fathers intended to limit democracy. :cry:  <sigh>

Logged


Artifact Swap: Opal
AY38910
Sr. Member ⚓︎
****
View Profile WWWArt


Chips in England usually go with fish FYI
⛺︎ My Room
iMood: AY38910

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
I got robbed by Dan Q on Melonland!Joined 2025!
« Reply #82 on: Summer, 23 Jun 2026 @599 » Embed

Currently I'm reading 1984. Can't say much yet though, I'm literally on page 4.

Logged

This post contains Totally™ no viruses (trust me bro)

http://www.am-i-dumb.com/images/stamps/7-1.gif
The Dumb Test
Metropolis
Sr. Member ⚓︎
****
View Profile


Filter the world through midnight coloured lenses
⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Joined 2025!
« Reply #83 on: Summer, 25 Jun 2026 @084 » Toggle Font Embed

Currently I'm reading 1984. Can't say much yet though, I'm literally on page 4.

literally 1984

Logged

This is not for you

https://blinkie-net.neocities.org/dividers/blue/23.gif
ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWWArt


Here be dragons
⛺︎ My Room

Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!I got robbed by Dan Q on Melonland!Great Posts PacmanThanks for being rad!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #84 on: Summer, 17 Jul 2026 @411 » Embed

Started reading Eyless in Gaza today, after reading basically only philosophical books for most of the year. It is mind blowing already - a great description of a romantic scene was linked to a most dark description of a funeral that included a portion of this poem, and I can heavily recommend it.

Logged

WaybackGuy
Jr. Member ⚓︎
**
View Profile WWW


⛺︎ My Room

Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Joined 2025!
« Reply #85 on: Summer, 18 Jul 2026 @989 » Toggle Font Embed

Logged
Seechain
Jr. Member ⚓︎
**
View Profile WWW


⛺︎ My Room
Itch.io: My Games

Artifacts:
Joined 2026!
« Reply #86 on: Summer, 12 Aug 2026 @641 » Embed

I began reading the Mistborn saga, its upcoming film adaptation encouraged me to pick it up. About the first 6 chapters, I'd say it's a pretty fast-paced and youthful read with an emphasis on action.

Logged

Indigo
Full Member ⚓︎
***
View Profile WWWArt


⛺︎ My Room

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Joined 2026!
« Reply #87 on: Summer, 12 Aug 2026 @736 » Embed

I HAVE BEEN SUMMONED AGAIN!  :wizard: I'm currently in between three books right now.

I am re-reading Mary Shelley's Frankenstein and It's her third revision put out by Penguin's Classics. Before the story begins, you get a nice essay introduction about who she was and what themes she was wanting to convey when writing. And you also get some editors notes from her as well. It makes the classic tale feel very layered and enriching.

My newest read right now is Notes on an Execution by Danya Kukafka and it's a very somber read that I know I will have to take my time with while at the same time, the writing is so good to get swept up in. It follows a serial killer awaiting execution and the narrative mainly wants to take its time remembering the people in his life affected by his presence, instead of him making up reasons why he is this way. I am still early in the book so I don't know where the directions it will go but I know it will be sad.

Another book I haven't read but I will read soon is Warriors by Erin Hunter. It's a high fantasy book series about magical cats. I didn't think much of it. Then I heard it's like a cult classic older series maybe? So I thought I give it a shot. I love series with that status. Omg there is a lot of character information in the beginning though so I am happy I took wrote it down on my notebook before I began it, because I know I am going to be lost with all its characters and group members.(I still don't know how I got through the Lord of The Rings book series as a teen.)

Logged

https://graphic.neocities.org/671310c2-0cc1-468c-82b0-939fa3a84812.gif

It's tamaNOTchi! Click to feed!
AY38910
Sr. Member ⚓︎
****
View Profile WWWArt


Chips in England usually go with fish FYI
⛺︎ My Room
iMood: AY38910

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
I got robbed by Dan Q on Melonland!Joined 2025!
« Reply #88 on: Summer, 13 Aug 2026 @484 » Embed

None right now but want to read Don Quixote

Logged

This post contains Totally™ no viruses (trust me bro)

http://www.am-i-dumb.com/images/stamps/7-1.gif
The Dumb Test
lakes
Sr. Member ⚓︎
****
View Profile WWW


⛺︎ My Room
XMPP: Chat!
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Joined 2025!
« Reply #89 on: Summer, 20 Aug 2026 @164 » Embed

I've been reading Bad Science: The Short Life & Weird Times of Cold Fusion (still), Crime and Punishment, A Wizard of Earthsea, Seeing Like a State, Das Kapital (still), Left Hand of Darkness, and My Sister the Serial Killer (just started).
Most of them have been as audiobooks lately except for Bad Science. I also listened to a lot of Discworld audiobooks recently. It can be kinda hard to pay attention to audiobooks or any book really when there's noise next to my room constantly. But when I have trouble, I pause and then rewind until I feel like I'm aware of what's going on and what's being said. I'd argue that audiobooks have increased my attention span ironically (considering that the main draw for most people is having them in the background) because I've been getting through Bad Science faster since I listened to more of them.

Logged

https://i.ibb.co/gbj9yhcZ/userbar-1.pnghttps://i.ibb.co/C3KKzjyx/Computeruser.png
https://i.ibb.co/zhKYtXts/Librebar-X.pnghttps://i.ibb.co/b5mC7H6H/DVDUser.png
https://i.ibb.co/GfCkM0g1/soulseekuserbar.pnghttps://i.ibb.co/0jRYyw7R/Trash-User.png
https://i.ibb.co/gLNfFjqc/098.pnghttps://i.ibb.co/QjqVW8xT/xfceuserbar.png
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Print Embed 
« previous next »
 

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021 | Privacy Notice | Send Feedback | Supporters ♥ Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP | Mobile


MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi
@000 Melon
Land
Forum Art Hub Chat Webring Explore Random Recent Tenement Arcade Want to Login or Join ? Web Craft Guide Graphic Catalogue Wiki Help I'm Lost! Link Land Newsletters Image Stream Minecraft: Online
Zap!
Passport Sites tamaNOTchi Asatte Add your site?
Aero Archive Onio Cafe 32 Bit Cafe Status Cafe