Artifacts Gallery Guilds Search Wiki Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining?
Autumn, 04 Oct 2026 - @200.38
Forum Activity: Four Stars ~ Boop! The forum will close in 800.beats! Random | Recent Posts | Guild Recents
News: There's a great big indie web tomorrow! :smile: Guild Events: MelonLand's Seasonal RPG Jam
Super News: ~~MelonLand's Halloween Profile Design Contest 2026~~
+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Computer Land
| |-+  ⛽︎ ∙ Technology
| | |-+  How do you feel about wires?


« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print Embed
Author Topic: How do you feel about wires?  (Read 3929 times)
fsr
Casual Poster
*
View ProfileArt

⛺︎ My Room

Artifacts:
Joined 2026!
« Reply #15 on: Spring, 22 Mar 2026 @126 » Embed

I'm always amused by the fact that Steve Jobs of all people refused to use wifi in his home. Which isn't to say I would disagree with his reasons had they been known.

I think wires are good, but I wish it was easier to harden against TEMPEST, just because it seems like privacy and security are two of the major advantages of not just going wireless on everything, but of course this is partly imaginary.

I suppose if we did like Star Trek and had fiber optic RAM, fiber optic CPUs, fiber optic connections between every device and so on, TEMPEST might finally be something we could put behind us. At which point we would only have to worry about nanoprobes. Oh well.

While this post may seem entirely tongue in cheek, almost none of it is actually a joke. If I was that hardcore about privacy, I wouldn't be posting on forums. I do still prefer wires to wireless for most applications, although it doesn't work very well when you need a Uber somewhere.

But besides, wires are great compared to wireless for latency. At least for audio and networking.

Logged
Pages: 1 [2] Print Embed 
« previous next »
 

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021 | Privacy Notice | Send Feedback | Supporters ♥ Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP | Mobile


MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi
@000 Melon
Land
Forum Art Hub Chat Webring Explore Random Recent Tenement Arcade Want to Login or Join ? Web Craft Guide Graphic Catalogue Wiki Help I'm Lost! Link Land Newsletters Image Stream Minecraft: Online
Zap!
Passport Sites tamaNOTchi Asatte Add your site?
Aero Archive Onio Cafe 32 Bit Cafe Status Cafe