Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 20, 2024 - @279.88 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 45/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :dive: Are u having fun?? :dive:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Art & Games
| |-+  ♖ ∙ Video Games
| | |-+  TinyTIM - A cool multiplayer text adventure

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: TinyTIM - A cool multiplayer text adventure  (Read 1852 times)
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« on: November 23, 2021 @945.83 »

Hi, I just wanted to give some love to TinyTIM a really strange multiplayer text adventure / MUD / MUSH (Multi user shared hallucination) Tim is a text based world where you can explore and make your own rooms and setup things that will happen in the rooms and write stories for them and more.

Screenshot:

How do I play!
If you just want to try it out you can use an online telnet client like this one: Online Client
Just connect using host: yay.tim.org port: 5440

If you want to really get into it I recommend using Mudlet, a free text adventure client you can get on Mac, Windows and Linux. ALSO it comes with connection details for a bunch of other text adventures.
You can get it here!

Let me know if you try it out and what you get up to, AND/OR if you enjoy any MUDs.

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
Nightdrift
Full Member ⚓︎

Suspicious Activity™

StatusCafe: nightdrift

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2021 @277.92 »

This is mad stuff, I've only very briefly heard of MUDs in passing but never took the opportunity to try them out. This is a whole world out there!

First impressions are: I am definitely a noob, struggling to keep up with all the different commands (wandered a couple of rooms before forgetting how to leave the room lol), but I am going to give it another shot when I have a chance because the concept in itself is so neat. This is probably just me being overly used to modern game UI/UX, but the literalness of the commands is definitely unusual to get used to, yet also really charming and engaging in the sense that...I think it kind of forced me to be a lot more deliberate with what I was doing. I was pleasantly surprised at how present and immersed I felt in a world made entirely of text.

Any idea of how complex it is to upkeep one of these games, or to build one? Not that I am planning to suddenly make one any time soon, but it got me thinking...in an age where things tend to be more high-production, or require a very large team to accomplish, there is something very quaint and clever about no-frills text-based adventuring. That isn't to say it isn't effortless, but it is cool to know there is a whole possible world of compelling multiplayer storytelling/exploration, without necessarily having to cross the hurdle of creating or finding thousands upon thousands of assets to build a world.

Status Cafe Profile
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2021 @691.90 »

There is a forum dedicated to making MUDs, its not super active but its got a lot of useful info: http://topmudsites.com/forums/

From what I gather, you could program a simple one yourself pretty quickly, but giving it all the complex features some MUDs have could get really difficult.

Luckily there are a bunch of pre made MUD servers you can use, you just host them online and start.. er MUDding? Its a bit like setting up a minecraft server I guess. https://www.livinginternet.com/d/da_own.htm

This host claims to be for MUD operators: https://www.genesismuds.com/ they have an awesomely outdated site!

Personally I'm always super tempted to do a MUD, but I just have waayyy too many projects! The fact you can create a huge world with just a few lines of text is very tempting though.

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
ReignBeau

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2022 @270.57 »

That is such a fascinating website. You can really feel the team's passion in every nook and cranny. I read the entire history posted there and am left with such a beautiful 'internet noir' feeling.

To make things better, I looked up what Sketch is doing IRL now and wow, he has had one heck of a life!!
demonologi
Casual Poster

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2022 @48.80 »

I love MUDs! i only recently discovered them when i started playing aetolia, then somebody introduced me to a few more. this looks like a fun one

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

My textbook is a bit out of date...

Started by diBoard ⛽︎ ∙ Technology & Archiving

Replies: 6
Views: 1565
Last post August 29, 2023 @867.22
by SilkSkull
Collecting 90s Texture CD Links

Started by MelooonBoard ✎ ∙ Art Crafting

Replies: 11
Views: 7162
Last post October 18, 2023 @880.69
by WynnDawnstrider
Earthbound Text Generator

Started by ObspogonBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 7
Views: 3833
Last post March 04, 2023 @848.91
by sig

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi