Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 20, 2024 - @663.55 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 44/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :4u: ~~~~~~~~~~~  :4u:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ☺︎ ∙ General Interests
| | |-+  Pieces of media that changed you?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Pieces of media that changed you?  (Read 2776 times)
Version
Casual Poster

Ver. Narrative game and mystery media lover.

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« on: August 14, 2022 @7.15 »

What is the piece of media that changed you the most?

For me it's Ace Attorney. While there are a couple, more serious, books that changed my worldview, I can't think of anything else that changed me as much as that series.
I mentioned before in my introduction that my main interests are narrative games and murder mysteries, and Ace Attorney is the game that introduced me to both. I even remember thinking that the premise was stupid when I was 10, and downloading it as a joke.
This game pretty much set a chain reaction that made me into who I am today, as silly as that may sound. Both in my tastes and what I want to create.

Did anyone else have a similar experience?
ggnonicon
Casual Poster

smush the eyelid

Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2022 @238.43 »

This is a hard question if I have to choose... Either way I gotta do some thinking on it.
On another bote, I've always had my eye on ace attorney but never got around to playing it. This might push me into trying it out finally!
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2022 @323.82 »

For me, it probably goes back to high school when I was introduced to the band AFI. That was my first taste of the horror punk genre and subsequently got me into bands like The Misfits and White Zombie, the stories of H. P. Lovecraft, body and cosmic horror films like The Thing and Hellraiser, and in general opened me up to media outside of the mainstream.
MrsMoe
Full Member ⚓︎

Your friendly neighborhood living dead girl

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2022 @341.06 »

I'm a massive Pink Floyd fan and I could consider their music in general as something that was very formative to me, but their album The Wall (but more specifically, the movie) that's had the biggest impact on me. I first started listening to them when I was about twelve years old and when I told my dad about it, he offered to watch the film version with me. As a kid who had a mostly conventional film taste up until that point, it was like nothing I'd ever seen before. It was one of my first exposures to surrealism and psychologically-driven stories and it's responsible for my love of trippy/disturbing media. It still resonates with me now for its themes of isolation and trauma and for that, I'll always consider it my favorite movie.

manpaint
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2022 @513.66 »

For me, this is the book Bobby Pendragon 9: Raven Rise. The story in the book is so well done that I was basically seduced in a fictional cult until the end of the story. It really show the power fiction can have.

Swiftpaw

it/its

SpaceHey: Friend Me!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2022 @611.41 »

I'm going to say Ghost Trick, which was a game that was also created by Capcom. I can't get too much into why because spoilers but it's a game that heavily involves themes of death and revenge and is overall fantastic storytelling.

ggnonicon
Casual Poster

smush the eyelid

Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2022 @318.91 »

For console games, I'd have to say Tales of Symphonia. I was in middle school when I played it and I had never been so enraptured in a game that long, much less finishing and RPG all the way. My mind was blown :happy:

Lots of movies to list, but most recently I really clicked some shit together in my brain that had been loose and dangling around in the circuitry with no home after I saw the 2022 Crimes of the Future by David Cronenberg. I've been helplessly craving the feeling I got right after I watched it and am unable to reproduce it. I bought the dvd but know I'm putting too much stake in watching it again so I've been avoiding it  :drat:

SilkSkull
Hero Member ⚓︎

iMood: SilkSkull
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!MARIO64.PNGCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2022 @39.19 »

just a list, although I may explain some in another post because these shaped me as a person. Films: The Breakfast Club, HER, Grave of the Fireflies, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, The Lighthouse. Games: Red Dead Redemption 1, GTA: SA, Dark Souls 2. Music: Endtroducing (album), Jakey (All of his music), Palm Trees - Flatbush Zombies

She/Her
"Will you stop adding lampposts to my games?"

Wobblegong
Casual Poster

I will wobble once more

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2022 @110.44 »

Lonesome Crowded West by Modest Mouse; got me through high school also radically changed my taste in music

also Sid Meier's Pirates which I was obsessed with for years

dotmidi
Sr. Member ⚓︎

i have grown accustomed to your face...

iMood: dotmidi

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Graduate '23Pocket Icelogist!Pet BatCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2022 @691.98 »

"Who Will Cut Our Hair When We're Gone?" by The Unicorns :ozwomp: :ozwomp:

From time to time
I may speak in cliché
It's a sign of my age
What can I say?
Wobblegong
Casual Poster

I will wobble once more

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2022 @893.48 »

"Who Will Cut Our Hair When We're Gone?" by The Unicorns :ozwomp: :ozwomp:

oh I love this album
idk what keyboard is used but its a sound that I really like
dotmidi
Sr. Member ⚓︎

i have grown accustomed to your face...

iMood: dotmidi

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Graduate '23Pocket Icelogist!Pet BatCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2022 @992.38 »

oh I love this album
idk what keyboard is used but its a sound that I really like
I’m working on a web shrine for the band!

From time to time
I may speak in cliché
It's a sign of my age
What can I say?
Cele

any way the wind blows

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2022 @713.78 »

Hmh. A cartoon called Code Lyoko totally changed my personality in 3rd grade, when I went from shy and timid into a more relaxed jokester :grin: I guess that changed me in that time.
expmachine
Newbie ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2022 @313.47 »

There's a lot of media that is special to me, but probably the most influential for me is Funamusea's work. She has done a few RPGmaker games and comics. Got into her work as a teenager, and it helped me make friends online as well as inspiring current fan OCs that we are into. Seeing her make games and comics really made me want to make games and comics too.

tarraxahum
Full Member ⚓︎

Xx_O_o_xX

StatusCafe: tarraxahum
iMood: tarraxahum
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2023 @3.36 »

There are probably multiple things that were formative to me, as is with everyone, but the first thing that comes to mind would probably be the Gurren Lagann anime.

If I had a penny for every time I've confidently recited the whole "believe in me who believes in you" speech to my friends back in my teenage years I'd be rich. Something about the whole spirit of that anime either altered something in my brain or nourished something that was already there. The idea of always moving forward, the very anime concept of yelling in the face of your problems, the idea that sometimes all you need to win is to Not Give Up and Keep Going and Believe, the importance of interpersonal connections, the praise of incomprehensibility and not playing by the rules or listening to people who tell you you'll fail... That spoke to me then, that speaks to me still.

My soul is the drill that will pierce the very heavens!

As a little kid I was also obsessed with a book about Musicians of Bremen. I think that was the book that taught me how to read and boy did I read it. And then as a teen I also went through a huge Speed Racer phase, what with the whole "an underdog wins against corporate scheming because Family, and Doing the Things You Love, and Not Selling Out, and The True Spirit of Racing. (That was a fixation that taught me how to draw, make videos, participate in fandom...oh, and speak English.)

And then my parents who watched it all unfold act all surprised when I can't find it in me to be motivated by monetary gain and capitalistic culture, staying a broke artist instead. Who would've thunk!!

"Why change the past, when you can own this day?" (c)
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Social Media is dangerous

Started by Cobra!Board ☞ ∙ Life on the Web

Replies: 70
Views: 10984
Last post March 19, 2024 @115.95
by virtue
What is your favourite piece of lost media/One you want found the most?

Started by Kitchen StaffBoard ☺︎ ∙ General Interests

Replies: 42
Views: 3544
Last post April 11, 2024 @781.89
by WynnDawnstrider
How has the web revival community changed your relationship with the internet?

Started by DJoftheCovenBoard ☞ ∙ Life on the Web

Replies: 8
Views: 1561
Last post February 28, 2023 @745.30
by levya

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi