Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 20, 2024 - @627.43 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 44/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :4u: ~~~~~~~~~~~  :4u:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  How do you prefer to keep your site organized (or not)

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: How do you prefer to keep your site organized (or not)  (Read 5757 times)
kurohaato
Full Member ⚓︎

:D

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: rinrinrin
iMood: kurohaato
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2023 @967.41 »

I personally have a 50/50 split between every part of my site having its own little folder and just throwing everything into my index and calling it a day. It all depends on the vibes, though I have been trying to clean it up a bit lately and wrangle everything into their own little folders.  :ok:

01110110 01101001 01110110 01100001 00100000 01101100 01100001 00100000 01101111 01111010 01110111 01101111 01101101 01110000 00100001 00100000 00111010 01000100 :ozwomp:
Grimlock
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Harley | He/they |

StatusCafe: dinosaur
iMood: Grimlock

View Profile WWW

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2023 @374.02 »

i honestly used to just slap everything in the index section but now my site is organized like this which gave me more room to add more pages without needing navbar links to these pages directly

it feels a lot nicer like this despite still having stuff around i forgot to delete
« Last Edit: July 11, 2023 @375.82 by Grimlock » Logged

TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2023 @739.73 »

This has come up more than once here so I figured it was a good candidate for the Wiki. @InvisibleUp the book you posted was really helpful! Here's the page in case anyone wants to add their 2 cents (or help condense my wordiness):

https://wiki.melonland.net/how_do_i_organize_my_files

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2023 @770.38 »

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2023 @817.40 »

This is awesome, thank you for doing this! :grin:

No problem! I like documenting things :)

vvinrg
Jr. Member ⚓︎

It's mine! My text! You can't have it!! Bwahaha!!!

StatusCafe: winrg
iMood: winrg
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2023 @369.10 »

My site's a bit of a mess but uhhh
Code: tree
/srv/
  http/ - Main site at aleteoryx.me
    melonland/ - Directory for images and stuff for here
    downloads/ - Downloads folder in the header
      downloads.header.shtml - the opening to each downloads page
      downloads.footer.shtml - and the closing. the downloads page is done with mod_autoindex
      **/readme.shtml - the contents of the index page, to be displayed below the index.
    header.php - need to generate a lot and if statements are annoyingly verbose in SSI so
    [header_page].shtml - self explanatory
    template.shtml - new page template
  common/ - files i'll probably need if i ever setup other subdomains. gets aliased to /common on aleteoryx.me
    badges/ - various web badges, mostly for the footer and linkies
    head.shtml - generate <head> contents
    monospace.css - the main CSS file for the site, everything else is just done with style attributes
    names.php - pick one of my names and send it back
    null - symlink to /dev/null, to handle some atrocious SHTML jank
  dummy/ - apache has a stroke if you don't set the DocumentRoot for stuff, so {social,git}.aleteoryx.me both have this as their docroot to make the logs cleaner.
I don't really keep the code elsewhere, my /srv directory functions as the great living document for my site.
technomage

View Profile

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2023 @786.47 »

I tend to struggle with organization too, but I developed a system that works decently well for me.

The very first thing I do is envision how I visually want the navigation on the site to look. All of the "main" links in there (stuff like the index page, contact, and main pages for subsections) have their .html files go directly in the root folder. Then I make folders for secondary links (stuff like actual blog entries and smaller pages), where their .html files live.

From there, I'll make a folder called "assets", which is where all of my images, CSS, scripts, font files, etc live. All frequently used assets (like the site's main CSS file, JS-based nav bar scripts, etc) go directly into this folder. Then I sub-divide it from there. Buttons, banners, etc get their own folders, usually inside an "images" folder.

I just kind of make things as I need them, and then when I'm done with the initial "building" of the site and am going through to clean things up, I'll scoot files back and forth as needed. I'd include screenshots, but we're still in the super messy phase lol
Mo/Otto
Casual Poster ⚓︎

they/them, ecto/ect

StatusCafe: cloudydusk
iMood: cloudydusk

View Profile WWW

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2023 @969.55 »

As someone who is very prone to making a mess of things, I've found it pretty easy to organize my html files depending on their purpose (i.e. th site linked to this forum acct has 3 main sections for virtual pets, collections, and site/webmaster-related pages. each "section" is confined to its own folder, with only the index and 404 pages in root). While I try to keep this level of organization up, CSS and images tend to escape, and there's a stray Javascript comment widget file in my art site. I'll fix it all once I find the stamina to keep things from breaking :tnt:

spencer
Newbie ⚓︎

YIPPEE

StatusCafe: foggybear42
iMood: foggybear42

View Profile WWW

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2023 @120.72 »

my site isn't big so it's not hard for me to keep track of my files. all the images i have hosted on my site are in one big folder, everything in my archive is in it's own folder, and my shrines have their own folders, but everything else is just kinda there.

for my page names, i just name them exactly what they are (e.g. "about" for my about page) since it's much easier to figure out what each page is when going through them rly quick. most of my images are named exactly what it is, but sometimes when i download an image off someone else's site, i don't change the name so it ends up being something like "729240.png" :ha:

asterhalloween
Newbie ⚓︎

the beauty of experiencing the world

iMood: mythicalwaters

View Profile WWW

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2023 @785.02 »

Well, the majority of my pages are just hanging out in the root as well as some loose favicons and CSS/JS files. I have a folder for all of my images (other than the favicons) and the only other folder that's really in use is the comics folder, where I store all my comics. Some of the comics have their own folders as well because I want to have the pages separated, either for format/readability or there's just so many comic pages that having them all on one webpage would not work very well!

As for image and file naming, I tend to keep it fairly straightforward and descriptive, though sometimes I give my images silly names for fun :)

...Also for some reason my about page has its own folder? Like, all that's in there is the index and its favicon... I'm not sure why. I'm probably going to move them out of there at some point :p

:4u: Love makes the world go round! :transport:
corvidaegalaxy
Casual Poster ⚓︎

nonpsychotic 🧚‍♂️🧚‍♂️🧚‍♂️

StatusCafe: corvidae

View Profile WWW

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2023 @28.74 »

i think im decent at organizing? i do things like this: in index are all the main page files and other files like .js, .txt, and audio files that are used in the main pages, then i have separate folders for everything else! for example, my css file folder and my graphics/images folder that Also has folders within it for certain types of images with diff purposes (like an art folder, irl pics folder, etc).. it aint 100% perfect, i plan to reorganize a few things soon, but its easy to comb through and thats good enough for me honestly!!
edit: i also make sure everything has very simple names that make it easy to link to! thats very important to me.. long names are a big no-no :3

Paprika
Full Member ⚓︎

Go to the tanterwomps for they are lost in time

View Profile WWW

Giver of Many Welcomes!Joined 2024!
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2024 @915.29 »

When I started my NeoCities it was quite messy because I didn't thought much into it and I was convinced I'd get bored after acouple of days. Turns out it's bigger than I expected but I'm on the same side than a lot of people here, folders, folders everywhere. Otherwise I'd be lost !
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Best way to have a 2 column site?

Started by ObspogonBoard ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!

Replies: 3
Views: 1918
Last post February 13, 2023 @208.53
by fLaMEd
POLL: How many personal sites have you built?

Started by xandraBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 30
Views: 4344
Last post January 11, 2024 @150.49
by xXWebMasterXx_Gina
I am new to making sites and I want some tips to improve.

Started by Icey!Board ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!

Replies: 4
Views: 1752
Last post December 14, 2021 @853.48
by Icey!

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi