This zone is sleeping right now! ZzzZZzzz

Better not disturb it! ~You go to the petrol station and buy a slushy instead, everything is cool!~

This area will open again in 000.beats!

(Learn about Swatch Time)

Some other zones are awake :^]


Artifacts Gallery Guilds Search Wiki Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining?
Autumn, 28 Sep 2026 - @242.33
Forum Activity: Three Stars Random | Recent Posts | Guild Recents
News: Love is not possession  :4u: Guild Events: TIME FOR HALLOWEEN CRAFTS!
Super News: ~~MelonLand's Halloween Profile Design Contest 2026~~
+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Earth & Interests
| |-+  ⚚ ∙ Life on Earth!
| | |-+  how are people affording to live?


« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print Embed
Author Topic: how are people affording to live?  (Read 1022 times)
Senkusha
Casual Poster ⚓︎
*
View Profile WWW


⛺︎ My Room

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Joined 2026!
« Reply #15 on: Today at @976 » Embed

so genuine question: how are you affording to live? where do you live? what do you do for work and how much do you make? whats your average rent and bills?

I'm living in the United States.  I've lived in various States throughout my life, and I'm 50 now.  I've lived on the East Coast, the West Coast, down South, the Midwest, the Ohio Valley, and I found my way over to New England.  I live just outside of Boston now, one the most expensive areas in the country to live.

It's a struggle.

I earn $17.30 an hour.  Work 35 hours a week, commute one-way 1.5 hours to 2 hours just to get to work, by public transportation.  I have very little free time.  I have no children.  No pets. No social life.  Dare I say, I have no friends-- something I desperately want to change.

My rent is $1650 every month.  This is a cheap place that I lucked into.  It's only one bedroom with one bathroom.  It's just big enough for my Partner and I.  I should probably mention that I don't own a car.  That's a luxury item.  The payment, gas, maintenance, parking, insurance.  It all costs too much.

Food.  I buy a lot of things in bulk, dry, shelf stable stuff from work.  I work in a food service warehouse, so I have this option available to me.  To get it home, I have to pay $40 one direction in an Uber or Lyft, so I try to only do this shopping once a quarter (three months).  I don't order out.  We don't dine out.  We eat mostly rice, beans that have to be soaked all day.  We eat frozen chicken breast or thighs.  Ground sausage.  Beef is a luxury.  I've learned how to bake.  I make my own tortillas.  I recycle my bacon grease.  I've learned how to make my own butter, sour cream, cream cheese, and ice cream.  I'm making my own vinegar.  I use any fruit solids in muffins or breads when I make juices (like the apple cider I'm making tonight).

We're growing some of our own food.  We've invested in a hydroponic tower to grow herbs.  We've got a couple of pots filled with dirt for other veggies.  I'm learning how to pollinate plants manually.

Both my partner and I are attempting to freelance write for additional cash.  She's on SSI (and now receives about $800 a month-- for the last two years it was $72 a month, because of a "clerical error").

I pay for our cell phones once a year, out of my taxes.  That's what's supposed to be the monthly bill.  I pay it all in one shot.  I use Mint Mobile.  The cheapest plan I could find. Five GB of monthly data.  I use my internet sparingly.  I don't stream anything.  I don't watch television either.  You might think that I live a pretty boring life.

I'm in chronic pain from standing all day, wearing poor footwear for years-- recently just fixed that, I think.  Can't afford to go to the doctor as much as I should, so my teeth are rotting, I'm vitamin deficient, and most of what I know comes from internet searches and Chat GPT.

We've had to beg for financial assistance more than a few times this year.

How do we survive this economy?  Barely.  By cutting EVERYTHING.  Life IS boring.  HOPE is what keeps us going.  Hope that our crappy leadership will change and we'll be granted decent people who aren't totally morally corrupted.

Yes, I chose to live here.  I cannot flee the United States.  But, even if I could, where would I go?  It's expensive here.  But I have decent public transit, and most of the people are kind and compassionate.  I've moved around enough during my life.  I'm staying put.  Besides, I don't have triple the amount of rent, plus moving expenses, plus everything else that goes into moving-- especially finding a different job.  Because NOBODY wants to hire a 50 year old.

Logged

--Senkusha,
Resident Anime Misfit, Role-playing Goddess, Webmistress of Prismatica!
Anime Role Playing and Discussion
Pages: 1 [2] Print Embed 
« previous next »
 

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021 | Privacy Notice | Send Feedback | Supporters ♥ Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP | Mobile


MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi
@000 Melon
Land
Forum Art Hub Chat Webring Enter Random Recent Tenement Arcade Want to Login or Join ? Web Craft Guide Graphic Catalogue Wiki Help I'm Lost! Link Land Newsletters Image Stream Minecraft: Online
Zap!
Passport Sites tamaNOTchi Asatte Add your site?
Aero Archive Onio Cafe 32 Bit Cafe Status Cafe