Artifacts Gallery Guilds Search Wiki Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining?
Autumn, 03 Oct 2026 - @857.23
Forum Activity: Four Stars Random | Recent Posts | Guild Recents
News: :ha: :pc: Hello Melonland! :pc: :happy: Guild Events: MelonLand's Seasonal RPG Jam
Super News: ~~MelonLand's Halloween Profile Design Contest 2026~~
+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Da Web Revival
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!
| | | |-+  Am I doing a bad (hotlink-y) thing?


« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print Embed
Author Topic: Am I doing a bad (hotlink-y) thing?  (Read 38 times)
DrakoTheDragon
Newbie ⚓︎
*
View Profile WWWArt


Running around aimlessly, what about you?
⛺︎ My Room
iMood: DrakoTheDragon
OS: Windows

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Triple HornsDevil Cursor TailJeansKitty T-ShirtStripey Scarfstarry yappin kittay
« on: Today at @653 » Toggle Font Embed

This might be a dumb question, but please bear with me. I'm pretty new to this indie web thing :/

On my website, you can see a green sidebar with cycling site buttons at the very top. As opposed to the buttons I have listed on my index page, these ones appear on like…40% of my site, as there's an identical bar on many different pages.

I've hosted any buttons myself when hotlinking isn’t allowed. But I'm worried that the ones I am hotlinking are costing the hosts even more bandwidth due to how many unique times those images are called upon. Is this even a thing? And if so, is it bad? I'd rather not host ALL those buttons myself, but I will if it's a problem.

Logged

"You don't have to be ready. You just have to do it."

https://64.media.tumblr.com/778f45cbfe9eb3cbad98b689ed000130/9eb06495f8f9f32f-4a/s250x400/ea294f8fe0cf59e5c75a2e81b3ab1f3c661c4e5a.gifv
https://64.media.tumblr.com/2bfb535f7d789033ae3df0112a6ed2fa/81a7afd7695dcc71-b7/s100x200/b277b2408c22f9e1963a9d96aa3fa8624a656592.gifvhttps://64.media.tumblr.com/f40ce174e969e0b423240343c0695df8/e1dd46eba178dc71-51/s100x200/f2ce4c50549d6377d5d2acfd84b9a90d13467271.pnjhttps://64.media.tumblr.com/a1dbb1f8f4b954bd3848593bc2a9ad80/e9a831999458d974-9a/s250x400/6e2a09e794fb5335067f513b07ed80efdff9eeff.gifv

Artifact Swap: sunset:DChaos rune500 coin
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWWArt


So many stars!
⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
You're a Star!Flinstone VitaminWavy Shoulder-Length Hair with BangsBug!Top HatI got robbed by Dan Q on Melonland!
« Reply #1 on: Today at @656 » Toggle Font Embed

Normally when someone visits your site, the images that load are cached in their browser and they don't load again until that person clears their cache. So if someone loads an image on one page of your site, then visits 100 pages that all have that same image, the image does not re-download load 100 times, it loads once for that person, then comes from their browser cache 99 times.

Sooo, how many times you put an image on your site is not an issue, its how many unique visitors you get (and that will always be a much bigger number anyway).

There are other threads related to hot linking that discuss the actual hotink more, but for your question directly, no, putting it on multiple pages has no impact  :wink:

Logged


everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered

Artifact Swap: black n cyan yappin kittayHave a chillpillRed Tulip100 coins<3curious fish
Pages: [1] Print Embed 
« previous next »
 

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021 | Privacy Notice | Send Feedback | Supporters ♥ Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP | Mobile


MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi
@000 Melon
Land
Forum Art Hub Chat Webring Explore Random Recent Tenement Arcade Want to Login or Join ? Web Craft Guide Graphic Catalogue Wiki Help I'm Lost! Link Land Newsletters Image Stream Minecraft: Online
Zap!
Passport Sites tamaNOTchi Asatte Add your site?
Aero Archive Onio Cafe 32 Bit Cafe Status Cafe