Home Entrance Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
March 28, 2024 - @615.07 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 37/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ha: :pc: Hello Melonland! :pc: :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  Do you feel more like your individuality comes more easily on the decentra-web?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Do you feel more like your individuality comes more easily on the decentra-web?  (Read 959 times)
Deckade (Tolo)
Casual Poster

Feel free to email me and be pen pals :)

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« on: October 23, 2022 @38.33 »

Just something I've noticed myself, but I find there's a lot more truth to what I say and do on this less corporatised area of the internet, and I feel much less "compressed" than I do on conventional media. I think it's because the individual is kind of a powerful and special thing :tongue: and social media operates by reducing your self worth until you feel the need to participate in it in order to 'regain' your self worth, which is silly because it never left you!

Anyway, do you guys feel less coerced in what you do, and do you feel like your individuality is more intact? And how does that feel? Obviously I'm guessing you do but what kind of things have you noticed in regards to this :grin:
SilkSkull
Hero Member ⚓︎

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
iMood: SilkSkull
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!MARIO64.PNGCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2022 @192.33 »

I've actually been thinking a lot about this, I feel like it's especially visible in places like peoples personal sites, they feel much more expressive and interesting than any "social media" ever could. I love how real and raw it is, even if a persons site is barely put together I still love to go through it and explore because it feels so cool to peek into someone's interests and creations

She/Her
"Will you stop adding lampposts to my games?"

Absentmind

i love surfing the world widened web

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Café ClubJoined 2022!
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2022 @494.58 »

There is this funny sense of "genuine" surrounding these old sites. I'm sure someone could argue that there is no such thing because the web is an "impersonal" tool and the feeling you're feeling is a removed sense of real physical meaning. I personally don't believe that however. I find myself being much more candid and trusting of other users on these sites, perhaps there is a sense of community surrounding an idea that we all agree with that grants a level of comfort. There is however, still a level of performance at play, there is such thing etiquette and a way you want to portray yourself in these environments, at the end of the day, there is still a level of anonymity. Some food for thought!

With that all being said I definitely agree. The charm of these sites are very appealing and raw in a sense like Silkskull said.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2022 @664.40 by Slams » Logged

manpaint
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2022 @495.90 »

Yeah I felt something similar when I started making my own website and using a certain forum.

I think the restrainsts previously felt where a product of social media. They often have downvote or dislike button that heavily incentivize individuals to "keep with the flow" at the detriment of one's individuality.

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2022 @631.03 »

I was thinking about this topic in relation to myself and friends I have in offline life. Iv noticed that in the years since I started my site I think Iv changed as a person; Iv become more genuine and open in real life because of it. Sometimes it shocks me when I interact with people in a web-revival-ish open hearted way and they DON'T respond openly like web-revival people typically do :tongue:

Over that same timeframe I met friends who are very invested in social media and more conventional online spaces; Iv noticed how they have become more stressed, more detached and less able to express themselves because they feel they have to behave in a certain way.

Obviously that is not scientific and it could just be coincidence; but I think it does suggest the possibility that being a part of positive open online spaces can have real and lasting positive effects on your personality; both online AND offline.

The internet is still SO NEW (Less than 20 years old for most people); we are still figuring it out, social media has many positives (like finding people you lost contact with) but it also gets A LOT wrong (like not providing real room for individuality). So much of the web-revival is about reclaiming individuality, and I hope in the future this form of self expression will make its way back into mainstream web culture; maybe a little wiser, kinder and more open than it was before.

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
DJoftheCoven
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Eng. Esp. Fra. 한

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2022 @963.40 »

I think one of the primary contributors to the feeling of freedom and individuality in this part of the web is the fact that it's pretty small--and that's not to say that something like this couldn't exist large scale, but that these spaces encourage people to find others who are into really niche, nerdy, practically unmarketable things and connect to each other well. For example, I've had a similar positive experience to the indie web with tumblr after I got into a really small fandom with about 100-150 active members. My posts started getting way more interaction than when I'd contributed to large fandoms, despite receiving fewer reblogs and likes. Yes there were fewer people, but they were more passionate about the media, bouncing off of my ideas to create elaborate memes and collaborative art.

Social media really went wrong when it started convincing people to make themselves marketable!!! Be cringey and be free!!!

creaturefeature
Full Member ⚓︎

StatusCafe: creaturefeature
iMood: creaturefeature

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2022 @561.67 »

i dunno if it classifies as individuality but i find myself less anxious on what I put on my website.

I'm was too used to the idea that if you put anything on the internet no matter how innocuous it is some asshole and their friends are gonna try to mob you so it made feel less like myself?

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2022 @603.25 »

i find myself less anxious on what I put on my website.

I agree; I think its because the dopamine reward system is missing on websites. On a social network if you post a picture and no one likes it you (at least I) feel like a looser for posting a picture that no one likes; however on a website I have no idea what people like, so I don't worry about it :cool:

That leaves way more room to relax and not respond to peer pressure; its also one of the reasons Iv mostly stopped using Discord, its react system is totally the opposite of that.. Im not sure if its possible to have a social network that deliberately has no dopamine system, but Id love to see a study about it!

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
PineTree
Casual Poster

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2022 @165.01 »

I agree about individually coming more easily on decentralised web (in my case, Neocities). As others have mentioned, I have also noticed myself becoming more open with others. I also think it helps me be more creative because I'm thinking about what I like and not what somebody else (my audience) might like. It's very freeing, and I feel a lot happier updating my website than when I update say, my social media.

Branding as a concept has done my head in a little as a graphic design student. On the one hand, I understand the concept. On the other, I don't think trying to fit myself into one box is helpful. I find it difficult to communicate the different parts of myself that people would normally think conflict. I used to do science, and now I do art - it's like I can't be both on social media, I have to be one or the other. But on my site there's pieces of both (though it does lean more towards art these days).

I also am a minority in a lot of ways, but also are privileged in a lot of ways too. I just don't feel like I fit into neat little boxes that social media seems to make me want to do. So I've tried my best with them and try to emphasize the "biggest" parts of me or the biggest interest I have! In the end I feel more free on websites. I'm not constrained by the potential audience as much, I can literally do whatever I want. That's a wonderful thing to think about.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Theme Poll - Do you like the forum theme?

Started by MelooonBoard ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions

Replies: 13
Views: 4852
Last post August 12, 2023 @742.86
by vvinrg
MelonLand Vivaldi Theme ♡

Started by MelooonBoard ⚛︎ ∙ MelonLand Projects

Replies: 6
Views: 1565
Last post March 05, 2023 @376.64
by doubleincision
Alternatives for when you feel like you need to use social media.

Started by VersionBoard ☞ ∙ Life on the Web

Replies: 4
Views: 972
Last post August 27, 2022 @312.67
by wris

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi