Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 25, 2024 - @433.03 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 40/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ha: :pc: Hello Melonland! :pc: :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema
| | |-+  Your favourite movies per genre

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Your favourite movies per genre  (Read 931 times)
« on: October 30, 2022 @935.94 »

Since it's so hard for most people to pick a single, overall favourite movie, I thought I'd break it down by genre to see if it makes it easier. There are a lot more genres than I've listed below, of course, and genres can't always be easily defined since some movies are a mix or defy genre conventions. These are just the genres that I have enough of an opinion about to put on my list.

-----

Comedy
Without a doubt, my favourite is Weekend at Bernie's. This movie is ridiculously funny from concept to execution. It's peak '80s in terms of creativity without being too crude. There's still a bit of your typical '80s womanizing, but not much compared to most comedies of the time.

Fantasy
I'm tempted to cheat and say the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy, but if I had to pick just a single movie it would be The Fellowship of the Ring. I'm not really a huge fantasy fan, but LotR is so prototypical of the genre that it covers all of the expectations.

Sci-fi
This one is hard because sci-fi is my favourite genre. Most of what I like is sci-fi/horror though, so I'm forcing myself to pick just a straight sci-fi film. I've always been more of a Star Trek fan than Star Wars, and my favourite of those films is Star Trek: First Contact.

Action
I'm not a big action movie fan, so I'm going to flub my answer a bit and say Jurassic Park. It's definitely sci-fi and a little bit of horror, but I think it has enough action to qualify.

Horror
It's really a three-way tie between The Thing, Alien and Pitch Black. They're all sci-fi as well, but of the three The Thing is the most pure horror movie so I'll make it my official pick.
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2022 @10.76 »

I think you and me are the two biggest movie buffs on the forum, so It'll be intresting to see who else replies :tongue: Lets see Im gonna have to invent a few genres here!

Comedy
The Darjeeling Limited (2007) - My fav Wes Anderson film, its also a great travel film so Im cheating!

Travel
Wild (2014) - I might have already grown out of this one, but its a really good movie.

Fantasy
The Dark Crystal (1982) - What a weird movie, I was given it on VHS by my first crush wen I was about 7 :loved:

Sci-fi
Until the End of the World (1991) - The original cut was 20 hours long! I recommend the 6 hour version; I think this movie changed my life but m not sure how.

Action
Repo Man (1984) - Its so perfect its almost generic!

Teen Drama
Empire Records (1995) - Not actually a great movie, but it captures something about the 90s that I feel like we've lost today.

Drama
Lost in Translation (2003) - I think this is the best film of all time; I die every time I watch it.

Thriller
Rear Window (1954) - Its amazing how a film thats entirely set in one room is so captivating.

Animation
Porco Rosso (1992) - Spirited Away might be their best film, but this grows on me more every year.

Western
True Grit (2010) - I love the way they did the language in this, its just a perfect western all around.

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2022 @946.40 »

Comedy
The Darjeeling Limited (2007) - My fav Wes Anderson film, its also a great travel film so Im cheating!

My favourite Wes Anderson films are Fantastic Mr Fox, The Life Aquatic and The Grand Budapest Hotel. I have only seen about a third of The Darjeeling Limited, but I did like what I saw.

Animation
Porco Rosso (1992) - Spirited Away might be their best film, but this grows on me more every year.

I totally forgot to include an animation category. I think my favourite would have to be Howl's Moving Castle.

Western
True Grit (2010) - I love the way they did the language in this, its just a perfect western all around.

The True Grit remake was awesome! I'm not a big western fan, but that one and the most recent remake of Magnificent Seven are great films.

I'm also going to change my pick for best action movie. It's actually The Fifth Element.
arsenicteddy
Newbie ⚓︎

StatusCafe: arsenicteddy
iMood: arsenicteddy

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2023 @153.75 »

Comedy
The Love Guru. Ok so, theres a reason why this has to be my favorite. My family quote this movie way too much. Like, religiously.

Fantasy
Probably Labyrinth (the one with David Bowie). The was a point in time when I was like, 15-17 maybe, where I'd only watch like two movies and that was Labyrinth and Cloudy with A Chance of Meatballs.

Slasher
Texas Chainsaw Massacre II - Ok, so I personally just adore Leatherface / Bubba Sawyer; he's one of those 'he wouldn't of been awful if it wasn't for his surroundings kinda character'. This movie he's really more of a good guy because he's actively trying to not let the final girl get killed by his family. But also, as a giant Oingo Boingo fan, was really excited when I found out there's an Oingo Boingo song playing during the beginning car scene (it's the song No One Lives Forever, in case you are wondering.)

Horror -
Beetlejuice. Ok, so that's more of a Horror / Comedy, but this has always been my favorite Tim Burton movie. Granted, I now moreso enjoy Burton films more for the composer than the director / producer.  :blush: I personally think it's one of Burton's best movies.

I love Oingo Boingo and Danny Elfman a normal amount. /s
dotmidi
Sr. Member ⚓︎

i have grown accustomed to your face...

iMood: dotmidi

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Graduate '23Pocket Icelogist!Pet BatCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2023 @778.19 »

Animation

i LOVE Porco Rosso, it has a lot of charm and humor that other studio ghibli movies don't in my opinion  :cheesy:  :cheesy:  It's a really good watch for sure, though I'm a bit more in favor towards my absolute favorite ghibli movie The Cat Returns  :ha:  :ha:

I find movies like Spirited Away to be long winded and not that well-paced (Still good though! Just sort of hard to watch on a casual basis like other movies) Meanwhile, The Cat Returns is a great introduction to ghibli movies in my opinion.. i might also be biased because i LOOOVE how the cats walk XD (for give me for that emoticon)

its so so silly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0KQf_zhx3g

From time to time
I may speak in cliché
It's a sign of my age
What can I say?
dotmidi
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Graduate '23Pocket Icelogist!Pet BatCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2023 @792.70 »

Like melon and mambogator i am also a huge film guy, i am particularly fond with a lot of A24, Guierllmo Del Toro, and Wes Anderson works!

Comedy:
I don't really know any movies that are labeled as just Comedy so I'll just say Parent Trap is a safe option (Ooh! I'm gonna go watch it again now that i'm typing this)

Fantasy:
Labyrinth (1986) - This doesn't need much explanation, im a huge muppet guy. having Jim Henson AND David Bowie involved in the same movie is a dream come true.. sometimes i wonder what kind of conversations those two must have had behind the scenes  :omg:

Sci-fi:
Pacific Rim (2013) - One of my favorite works from Guiellrmo Del Toro, im embarassed to admit. Charlie Day has been a huge man-crush of mine ever since i've seen him on it's always sunny throughout the years, he plays one out of the two best characters. Newt and Hermann i absolutely adore them, i dont engage in shipping culture but this is what i imagine an OTP is, their chemistry and entire characters and personalities speak to me on such a personal level and i love thinking of situations of those two guys together.

Action:
Everything Everywhere All At Once deserves this spot in my personal opinion, it has the best fight scenes i've seen in awhile. I love the parallels between the universes when Evelyn engages in different methods of combat, as seen here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFWy0D0j_kU
I haven't checked this up on TVTropes yet so I don't know if its a thing yet but, I've seen it in multiple movies, I'm such a sucker for opera singing while there is an intense dramatic fight!! It's so cool

Teen Drama:
Perks Of Being a Wallflower (2012) - I didn't understand the appeal of this movie when I first watched it, to be honest. I decided to give it another chance since it was free on YouTube and WOW, it perfectly summarizes my teenage dreams haha.. them listening to david bowie late at night, wind hitting their face.. it just gives me a rush of vicarious joy because i love the experiences of my teen years that were represented in the movie

Drama:
The Children's Hour (1961) - This is drama legit leaves you on the edge of your seat, if you don't mind Black and White movies of course. I really really reccomend it, im not gonna give away much but basically its about two teachers and children making rumors about the two of them which leads to a lot of trouble. It's just a really interesting development of events, i loved the tension so much.

Thriller:
I haven't watched many thrillers but I plan on watching The Machinist soon. The only thing I've watched close to a thriller is SAW and those movies progressively get worse and worse..

Animation:
Grave of The Fireflies (1988) - A really heartwrenching tale and a good period piece, I'm particularly fond of a lot of movies revolved around different time periods. this is one of them.

Western:
Django: Unchained (2012) - It's how western should be.

From time to time
I may speak in cliché
It's a sign of my age
What can I say?
Commodorn
Full Member ⚓︎

Major Dork

iMood: Commodorn

View Profile WWW

Participated in the 2023 Profile Design Contest!First 1000 Members!Mushroom MadnessMessage BuddyJoined 2023!
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2023 @875.54 »

Comedy:
Uh.. "The Blues Brothers", "Spaceballs", "Planes, Trains and Automobiles", any Monty Python film, "Weird Al: UHF", "Airplane!", and "Good Morning, Vietnam" are some. A lot of the comedies I like seem to have John Candy in them.. oh, "The Stuff"(?) and "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes", too.

Fantasy:
"The Dark Crystal" and "The Neverending Story" are two. I haven't watched either in a while and I can't think of much more since all of the DVDs and tapes I had to look through are in boxes right now :O(
I did see "Zardoz" recently, though. I like that one.

Horror:
I KNOW there are a lot of horror movies I like, but "Evil Dead" (1&2) is the only one I can think of right now. I used to draw very bloody depictions of different scenes from the first version of that movie in like.. elementary school. For the papers that say shit like "My Favorite Movie!" or "My Pet!".

Animated:
As a kid, it was definitely "The Nightmare Before Christmas". I had my own tape of it so I could play it over and over again whenever I pleased. I'd add "スーパーマリオブラザーズ ピーチ姫救出大作戦!", "Perfect Blue" (I guess I should've put that in horror, actually), "Yellow Submarine", "Wizards" (Ralph Bakshi) and.. and.. oh, I know there's more..

Sci-Fi:
"Star Trek: Generations", "Brazil", "Demolition Man", "Ghost Busters"... my brain's starting to put off smoke. I still haven't been able to get a copy of the first Star Trek movies, so that's why they aren't included yet.

Drama:
"Rocky".

(Yeah, I didn't realize everyone else was choosing one per genre. Oh well. I like a lot of these too equally, anyway.)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2023 @884.46 by Commodorn » Logged

"Please, captain. Not in front of the Klingons."
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2023 @31.93 »

Like melon and mambogator i am also a huge film guy, i am particularly fond with a lot of A24, Guierllmo Del Toro, and Wes Anderson works!

What are your thoughts on Guillermo del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities and his new Pinocchio film? I loved Pinocchio but only really enjoyed half of the Cabinet of Curiosities stories. I'm otherwise a huge del Toro fan.

Star Trek: Generations

This is probably the most underrated Star Trek movie. My favourite is still First Contact but Generations is a close second. I was never a huge Kirk fan so I couldn't really sympathize with the people upset about his portrayal, and if that's their only complaint then they're overlooking a great movie. I think the story is the most humanizing ever told for the TNG cast.
dotmidi
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2023 @51.56 »

What are your thoughts on Guillermo del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities and his new Pinocchio film? I loved Pinocchio but only really enjoyed half of the Cabinet of Curiosities stories. I'm otherwise a huge del Toro fan.
Pinnochio was great! Really great, I've seen it three times now.. It's so crazy how the guy can transcend so many genres and make beautiful engaging stories with them.. Also, I just like how on-par it was to the actual pinocchio story and all and giving it a more darker theme was a good way to go.. especially with how the other pinocchio movie came out as a huge flop.
As for Cabinet of Curiosities I don't think I've seen that yet, i'm not really into the one-off-tale episodic shows (kinda why i never even gave black mirror a chance  :drat: still havent watched any of that either)

My favourite is still First Contact but Generations is a close second.

I dont know the Star Trek stuff by name (i kinda just get forced to watch stuff by my trekkie friends) but I like the movie with the whale in it  :cheesy:  :cheesy:  :cheesy:

From time to time
I may speak in cliché
It's a sign of my age
What can I say?
Commodorn
Full Member ⚓︎

Major Dork

View Profile WWW

Participated in the 2023 Profile Design Contest!First 1000 Members!Mushroom MadnessMessage BuddyJoined 2023!
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2023 @63.51 »

This is probably the most underrated Star Trek movie. My favourite is still First Contact but Generations is a close second. I was never a huge Kirk fan so I couldn't really sympathize with the people upset about his portrayal, and if that's their only complaint then they're overlooking a great movie. I think the story is the most humanizing ever told for the TNG cast.

Huh, I didn't know people had a problem with Kirk's portrayal. I love TOS and find Kirk to be an entertaining character (both for his flaws and.. whatever the hell else he's got going on), but I can't really think up a reason why his appearance in Generations would be considered something to be upset about..? I don't know, Generations really felt the most true to the tone and mindset of TNG to me. It gave me a lot to think about when I was done watching it.

I dont know the Star Trek stuff by name (i kinda just get forced to watch stuff by my trekkie friends) but I like the movie with the whale in it

Whoops. You might get to include me as one of those :O.

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2023 @70.84 »

I dont know the Star Trek stuff by name (i kinda just get forced to watch stuff by my trekkie friends) but I like the movie with the whale in it  :cheesy:  :cheesy:  :cheesy:

Ah yes, "Star Trek IV: The One With the Whales" is a lot of people's favourite.  :grin:

Huh, I didn't know people had a problem with Kirk's portrayal. I love TOS and find Kirk to be an entertaining character (both for his flaws and.. whatever the hell else he's got going on), but I can't really think up a reason why his appearance in Generations would be considered something to be upset about..?

From what I've read, people expected him to play a bigger part and didn't like
Spoiler
the way he died at the end
[close]
. I guess it seemed anticlimactic to them.
SilkSkull
Hero Member ⚓︎

iMood: SilkSkull
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!MARIO64.PNGCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2023 @145.54 »

I think you and me are the two biggest movie buffs on the forum, so It'll be intresting to see who else replies :tongue: Lets see Im gonna have to invent a few genres here!

Comedy

Travel
Wild (2014) - I might have already grown out of this one, but its a really good movie.

Fantasy
The Dark Crystal (1982) - What a weird movie, I was given it on VHS by my first crush wen I was about 7 :loved:

Sci-fi
Until the End of the World (1991) - The original cut was 20 hours long! I recommend the 6 hour version; I think this movie changed my life but m not sure how.

Action
Repo Man (1984) - Its so perfect its almost generic!

Teen Drama
Empire Records (1995) - Not actually a great movie, but it captures something about the 90s that I feel like we've lost today.

Drama
Lost in Translation (2003) - I think this is the best film of all time; I die every time I watch it.

Thriller
Rear Window (1954) - Its amazing how a film thats entirely set in one room is so captivating.

Animation

Western

I'm a huge movie person and I've never seen any of these, I now have a list for the weekend!!!

She/Her
"Will you stop adding lampposts to my games?"

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2023 @227.49 »

Comedy:
Uh.. "The Blues Brothers"
This is a great list, but OMG this is the most beautifully formatted post I have ever seen :4u:

Yellow Submarine
I loved this movie so much when I was little, I tried to show it to a friend a few months ago and they literally turned it off saying they were not into it! I'm glad to see there is more love for it here  :happy:
« Last Edit: February 16, 2023 @232.22 by Melooon » Logged

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
Commodorn
Full Member ⚓︎

Major Dork

View Profile WWW

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2023 @291.83 »

This is a great list, but OMG this is the most beautifully formatted post I have ever seen :4u:

Thank you!! I uh.. I really wanted people to be able to see the titles easily <:O)

I loved this movie so much when I was little, I tried to show it to a friend a few months ago and they literally turned it off saying they were not into it! I'm glad to see there is more love for it here

That's awful! I have a lot more than this to say about Yellow Submarine, but I love how their dry humor is mixed with the completely nonsensical environment that they're in. I don't think there will ever be a time that doesn't bring me pure joy when I watch it

I guess it seemed anticlimactic to them.
Ah, yeah, I guess I can see why someone wouldn't like that..
Spoiler
I think it's more true to life for things to just.. end when you least expect or want it to. I'd still say he had it a lot better than Tasha Yar, though--  holy shit
[close]

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

persona!!!

Started by descoleBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 2
Views: 1347
Last post January 31, 2022 @519.66
by wofee
What's your favourite mobile game?

Started by NeonriserBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 35
Views: 4198
Last post March 22, 2024 @293.21
by georgemoody
POLL: How many personal sites have you built?

Started by xandraBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 30
Views: 4356
Last post January 11, 2024 @150.49
by xXWebMasterXx_Gina

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi