Home Entrance Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
March 29, 2024 - @278.08 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 47/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :dive: Are u having fun?? :dive:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema
| | |-+  Movie that are more relevant today than ever

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Movie that are more relevant today than ever  (Read 1278 times)
Cobra!
Hero Member ⚓︎

’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste

StatusCafe: cobradile
iMood: Cobradile
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!
« on: November 07, 2022 @817.93 »

I was recently watching 007 Tomorrow Never Dies, and for those who haven't seen it, involves someone running a news and media conglomerate killing people for views and doing very shady things for profit.

One aspect I remember from it was they were launching an on-demand TV service or something, and they deliberately littered it with bugs so people would buy upgrades where they would be "fixed".

I seem to recall back in the day this plot was ridiculed for being silly, but these days, it feels very on point and more relevant today than when it came out. It's almost like it's aged backwards?

That's got me thinking, are there any other films like this? Where it was seen as over the top or silly back then but now fit so well in today's society?

“Snooping as usual, I see?”
Wobblegong
Casual Poster

I will wobble once more

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2022 @123.76 »

Videodrome is one of those movies that only got more relevant over time

The Truman Show is another one (first reality tv, then twitch streaming...)

SilkSkull
Hero Member ⚓︎

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
iMood: SilkSkull
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!MARIO64.PNGCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2022 @206.53 »

Not a movie but I've been obsessed with Serial Experiments Lain recently and a lot of the topics hold up shockingly well today for coming out in the late 90's

She/Her
"Will you stop adding lampposts to my games?"

CableCat
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Man I Love Frogs!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Worm!Joined 2023!
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2023 @180.27 »

It's cheesy sure, but I watched the Matrix for the first time last year and I found it to be relevant.

For one thing, I now understand the whole reference to the red/blue pill thing which became a huge thing on certain social media and forum cultures. Like just that, and understanding how those groups interpret the Matrix is helpful.

But also with the way the web grew, and now virtual reality spaces, I see why the movie is revisited. Virtual integration was something companies were starting to look at for workplace meetings.

It could be possible eventually to create a virtual version of the 2000's and live in it continuously.

"Sharing Tea With A Fascinating Stranger Is One Of Life’s True Delights."

~Uncle Iroh

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅☽〇☾⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗
  *Help Me Hatch my Dragon Eggs!*
      Give 'em a click, plz!
╚═══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

Gans

Scrap Vulture

View Profile

First 1000 Members!€100 IRC InvestmentJoined 2022!
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2023 @268.98 »

Godards Weekend. Imagine living in a time when widespread car traffic became new. Imagine the difference! To be honest, Weekend never got irrelevant.

S.I.M.O.N.E. - Didn't they resurrect James Dean lately?

All Anti-War movies of the past. Because idiots forget how war looks when their grandparents can't tell them about their PTSD anymore.
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2023 @717.50 »

Not a movie but I've been obsessed with Serial Experiments Lain recently and a lot of the topics hold up shockingly well today for coming out in the late 90's

It's cheesy sure, but I watched the Matrix for the first time last year and I found it to be relevant.

I was going to recommend these two regardless, but it seams like people beat me to it. Regardless I'd say that these two pieces of media, especially Serial Experiments Lain, are something that should be watched as they're great pieces of media that gave us a look into how much technology and the Internet would affect the world despite them being made in the late 90s.
wygolvillage
Sr. Member ⚓︎

meow!!!

StatusCafe: wygolvillage
iMood: wygolvillage

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2023 @721.17 »

I wish I liked Serial Experiments Lain more than I did, something about it bounced off of me.

I think Revolutionary Girl Utena (both the show and the movie) is still very relevant! Despite being from the 90's its deconstruction of the gender binary and gender roles, abuse, trauma, etc. feels like it could have been written today, and it still hits hard.

johnnyfangs

undead crooner

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2023 @676.40 »

I watched Victor Victoria for the first time recently and what it has to say on gender and sexuality feels miles above things that are coming out now. That and Cabaret, especially with how things are changing in the US, the complacency in it and the rise of fascism feels eerily too familiar.
starbreaker
Sr. Member ⚓︎

is it any wonder that my mind's on fire?

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!G4 Club Member!Joined 2023!
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2023 @703.53 »

Has anybody ever seen They Live?

The older I get the more it seems like an accidental documentary.

rock operatic science fantasy and more...
(...all opinions mine unless attributed, and free to a good home...)
Gans

Scrap Vulture

View Profile

First 1000 Members!€100 IRC InvestmentJoined 2022!
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2023 @752.75 »

If you use the internet wisely, it becomes the magic glass from "They Live". Proper movie abut some unseen truths, you're right. Though I think the mass of love songs is more in human nature than agenda, because in medival times, they had lots of love songs as well. But that's just one tiny example that "They Live" wants to point out.
Yaya
Jr. Member ⚓︎

StatusCafe: yaya

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2024 @313.22 »

Oooh I don't have any recs but Lain is def on my list!
MrsMoe

Your friendly neighborhood living dead girl

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2024 @238.21 »

Honestly with the whole "male loneliness epidemic" thing and men in general becoming increasingly hostile against society, I'd say Taxi Driver has aged pretty well.

And on the topic of anime that's super relevant now, I can't recommend Paranoia Agent enough. It's crazy how much it was able to predict about societal panic, escapism, and the spread of misinformation in the early 2000's.

soft-star
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2024 @719.39 »

Videodrome is one of those movies that only got more relevant over time

The Truman Show is another one (first reality tv, then twitch streaming...)

I came here to make sure someone had mentioned videodrome. The concept of moving through life as an avatar is particularly striking.

j
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2024 @934.71 »

i'm glad somebody else mentioned the Matrix! this was the first movie to pop into my head, too, but for different reasons.

i've been making interdevice software for a while now, which has really shone a spotlight onto what being an operator really means, and what we're missing now that manually-operated switchboards aren't really a thing anymore. communication in general, really. it's crazy that i can commit the communications equivalent of doomscrolling by connecting to so many sites simultaneously with other people. i made an alternative internet protocol schema a while ago with this in mind, where only one person can connect to a website at a time (though connections are automatically closed after data transfer) in an attempt to try to emulate a good old fashioned phone operator.

i go by j, she/they :)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Old French Animated Sci-fi Movies

Started by DojidaveBoard ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema

Replies: 5
Views: 1530
Last post October 22, 2022 @478.83
by PineTree
What did you accomplish today?

Started by NeonriserBoard ☕︎ ∙ Fun & Forum Games

Replies: 26
Views: 2184
Last post January 02, 2024 @113.40
by j
What's the last movie you watched and how did you like it?

Started by myryBoard ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema

Replies: 78
Views: 6299
Last post March 15, 2024 @796.63
by almostcorporeal

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi