Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 20, 2024 - @676.34 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 44/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :dive: Are u having fun?? :dive:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  What are your homepage must haves?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What are your homepage must haves?  (Read 981 times)
dotmidi
Sr. Member ⚓︎

i have grown accustomed to your face...

iMood: dotmidi

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Graduate '23Pocket Icelogist!Pet BatCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!
« on: November 23, 2022 @199.24 »

:ozwomp: :ozwomp: i recently just finished my landing page and i am now coding my home page!! so far my plan is to have an update log and a link to my tumblr and maybe a poll!

what do you guys like having on your home page so i can keep note of all your cool finds? :smile:

From time to time
I may speak in cliché
It's a sign of my age
What can I say?
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2022 @117.53 »

I had a look at your site and I can see, yes you could use a few things on your homepage :tongue:

Put stuff you like! Do you like crabs? Put some crabs there! Do you like a pome about toast? "Oh I am a toast, I roast and roast and roast, I was bread once but now Im not, toast toast toast."... Umm sorry.. ANYWAY, a homepage is like your home, its the place that captures the vibe of your site and for.. 60% of your visitors it might be the only thing they see? So make it count!

Some things people like to put on homepages:
  • News
  • About the site
  • Web pets and adoptables
  • Links to your favorite pages
  • Your name in large letters
  • Site badges can be handy
  • A picture of me (I dunno Iv never seen anyone do this, but why not, Im pretty cool!)

I think it also depends a lot on your nav system; your using a frame style layout, so you can put anything; if you were using a non frame site you might need more navigation centric stuff (I kinda do both on my site).

Personally I'd like to see more random creative homepages, I think sometimes people try to conform to a particular idea of what a homepage needs to be and I support breaking of out that and having more fun :4u:

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
dotmidi
Sr. Member ⚓︎

i have grown accustomed to your face...

iMood: dotmidi

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Graduate '23Pocket Icelogist!Pet BatCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2022 @757.92 »

yeah! i def am gonna add some of my own original stuff too, probably a news-ish section thats like "most recent DIY" and a "recipe book" snippet and they would link to another page dedicated to those and previous submissions :ozwomp: :ozwomp:

From time to time
I may speak in cliché
It's a sign of my age
What can I say?
lime360
Full Member ⚓︎

hi.

StatusCafe: lime360
iMood: lime360
Matrix: Chat!
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2022 @553.53 »

maybe some html5 games/canvas expirements so that a personal site will be not just a blog

creaturefeature
Full Member ⚓︎

StatusCafe: creaturefeature
iMood: creaturefeature

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2023 @586.22 »

i think the closest thing to something more original was to expanded on the sticker album idea, but instead of just putting pngs of vintance stickers, I decided to expand on that and put street art stickers I personally found my self while exploring the city.

They´re a very fascinating form of temporary art, while they degrade or even be removed over time, I managed to create a place where they will still be remembered.

Other ideas:
A virtual garden place that show boths my real plants or virtual palntlike adopts

A virtual aquarium which also serves as shrine for my fish, maybe I might figure out how to make graphics and gifs move as if they were fish?

A Place in my journal where I document the development of seagulls chicks that I got to observe from the window of my house.

worldwidewar
Casual Poster ⚓︎

🖕💩 👽👎💩🖕 👽💯➡️💩

iMood: worldwidewar

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2023 @881.90 »

As long as the audio element isn't hidden and/or looped, I think adding music to your homepage can help set the mood of your site. Neocities doesn't allow audio uploads out of the box, but two things you could do are:
1. use a low quality data URI
2. find audio files from other sites and link them onto your own
Note that if you manually edit your site, data URIs can lag your text editor depending on how big they are, which is why I recommend using low quality ones if you have no other choice.

\   ^__^
         \  (oo)\_______
            (__)\       )\/\
                ||--WWW |
                ||     ||
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2023 @978.13 »

I honestly think that a link list and a place to upload articles/writings (like a blog) are must haves for my sites at least. The ability to link to other pages and to convey something with words is kind of at the center of every website to me.
princemaggots
Casual Poster ⚓︎

mew... <33

StatusCafe: hellspit
iMood: princemaggots

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2023 @995.29 »

As long as the audio element isn't hidden and/or looped, I think adding music to your homepage can help set the mood of your site. Neocities doesn't allow audio uploads out of the box, but two things you could do are:
1. use a low quality data URI
2. find audio files from other sites and link them onto your own
Note that if you manually edit your site, data URIs can lag your text editor depending on how big they are, which is why I recommend using low quality ones if you have no other choice.

In similar things, I think a music player, like Webamp is a good addition! (For the Webamp link specifically, implementing the things before API and using the <script> tag works best. For audio files, you can use a site like https://catbox.moe/ if you don't want t:ha:can't host it yourself.

I also like having a guestbook link and a spot for other websites I like :grin:

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Whats your life like? (Time Capsule Thread)

Started by MelooonBoard ☺︎ ∙ General Interests

Replies: 35
Views: 3189
Last post April 10, 2024 @598.32
by Misanthropic Monster™
Whats the best thing you've ever bought?

Started by JackFrostBoard ☕︎ ∙ Fun & Forum Games

Replies: 17
Views: 1331
Last post August 30, 2023 @895.19
by Scootarooni
I made my new homepage with inspiration from the UI of old DS pokemon games

Started by angel-valBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 3
Views: 495
Last post January 25, 2023 @775.13
by Onio

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi