Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 24, 2024 - @414.38 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 49/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ha: :pc: Hello Melonland! :pc: :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Forum Hub
| |-+  ⚛︎ ∙ MelonLand Projects
| | |-+  MelonLand Surf Club (webring) - Now Live

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Poll
Question: Do ye like this notion??
Arrr (yes)   -18 (94.7%)
Narr (no)   -1 (5.3%)
Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: MelonLand Surf Club (webring) - Now Live  (Read 2454 times)
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« on: November 28, 2022 @635.02 »

Idea: MelonLand Surf Club

This is an idea Iv been kicking around for a while; and I wanted to know peoples feelings about it!

The goal would be to create an easy to use directory of sites made by forum members! I think this would be fun for people to explore and also help new sites get some attention :grin:

Essentially the MelonLand Surf Club would be a JAUP style webring/site list; it would be connected to the forums profile system; everyone who has a website listed on their profile would be automatically included in the Surf Club; so in practicality, it would look like a webpage that lists all the homepages of members; you could update your URL anytime by changing your forum profile.

In terms of moderation; I tend to check the links people put on their profiles and it would benefit from that (although I also depend on you guys to let me know when I miss something!)

There would be an optional webring badge you can place on your site, this would link to the surf club page and have a button to take you to a random site (no next/forward buttons). People could opt out of the surf club by not having a site on their profile (they could still have one in their signature).

What do you think? :cheesy: :cheesy: :ha:

EDIT: Its done! https://melonland.net/surf-club.html
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023 @699.54 by Melooon » Logged

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
JackFrost
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!BUG!?!Joined 2022!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2022 @641.50 »

Good idea! I would definitely wanna be a part of it if it happens!

Coffee addict, Gunpla builder, SMT fan.
sig
Sr. Member ⚓︎

the great

iMood: sigmatic

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Certified chocoboGoose!Joined 2022!
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2022 @681.28 »

Sounds like fun, definitely all for it!

The world ends with you. If you want to enjoy life, expand your world. You gotta push your horizons out as far as they go.
lime360
Full Member ⚓︎

hi.

StatusCafe: lime360
iMood: lime360
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2022 @780.71 »

looks epic

TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2022 @812.08 »

I'd actually considered bringing this idea up myself, so you know I'm all for it!

DoctorDizzy
Casual Poster ⚓︎

I will become the god of this new world!

StatusCafe: doctordizzy
iMood: DoctorDizzyspin

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2022 @900.02 »

This is a really good idea! :chill: You should totally go for it!!!

I am lightning... The rain transformed!
dotmidi
Sr. Member ⚓︎

i have grown accustomed to your face...

iMood: dotmidi

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Graduate '23Pocket Icelogist!Pet BatCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2022 @600.09 »

I really need webrings to join so this would be awesome!! :cheesy:
I love to check up on the melonland forums for help and conversation so I hope you do make a webring for it :omg:

From time to time
I may speak in cliché
It's a sign of my age
What can I say?
wodaro
Full Member ⚓︎

I should be drawing

iMood: wodaro

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2022 @224.78 »

Oh wow! I just saw this now! :ozwomp:

When I spotted the update in the banner announcing the webring, I thought "I'd better work hard on my site before I join it" and then discovered I was already in it lol. But it was so exciting to add the widget to my page! Gives me an incentive to finish the pages I'm working on (an e-shrine for the game We Know The Devil, and a page for art and info of all my D&:grin: characters!) so more people can see them.

I'm excited to browse through all the sites in the web ring! :transport:

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2022 @648.72 »

Im glad you like it, and its super cool to see someone using the badge for the first time :ozwomp:

Obvs feedback from anyone is welcome; I did my best, but its still a first draft and I know there are plenty of ways the wring page and badge could be improved. At some point I'll add pages to the wring list because its VERY long.. possibly it could get a site of the day feature.

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2022 @736.86 »

OH I'M SO EXCITED! I've already got the badge on my site, and now I have so many more sites to go visit! Thank you for putting this together! :unite: :cheerR: :cheerR: :cheerR: :transport:

BTW I love the styles you've used for the list page. Pulling the backgrounds from the sites was a good idea--it's simple but it personalizes the listings for each site in a great way.

dotmidi
Sr. Member ⚓︎

i have grown accustomed to your face...

iMood: dotmidi

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Graduate '23Pocket Icelogist!Pet BatCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2022 @892.16 »

:ozwomp: :ozwomp: OH MY GOODNESS i just saw my site inside the webring im so excited!! im going to put the badge in my dusted off and unused webring collection
THIS IS MY FIRST WEBRING WAHOO

From time to time
I may speak in cliché
It's a sign of my age
What can I say?
ArtificialBroiler
Newbie ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2022 @884.97 »

This is also my first webring! I think the widget fits nicely in my sidebar :grin:
tarocchilla
Jr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2022 @740.57 »

OHMYGOSH I LOVE THIS SO MUCH AAAA :transport: :blush: :ozwomp:

I'm heavily redoing my homepage (it's spaghetti coded lol) but i can't wait to add this, the widget also looks so cuteee!!! :cool:
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2022 @851.34 »

Super cool widget! Thank you for your time and effort on this project, in addition to also making it so welcoming. All the best! 🙏
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2023 @698.89 »

Surf Club Updates:

I just wanted to give a quick update on the Surf Club and how I plan to manage it as it grows!

Recently you'll have seen the club list has pages! Instead of a single list, there are now multiple pages with 64 sites per page. This should help it work better on lower-spec computers and be less visually overwhelming to scroll, so hopefully, that will make it more inviting to browse!

The screenshots are also bigger, per-site styling is improved, and the overall loading speed has been improved using the forum's image cache system. The server has been revamped and should automatically recover from crashes, and it has better filtering that will automatically hide offline sites.

As time goes on I'll be focusing on these features:
  • Smarter site refreshing and displaying; which will allow the list to grow without causing issues!
  • Add a Surf mode that lets you flip through sites in fullscreen
  • Filters and categories that let you find sites via keywords (you'd be able to configure them for your site)
  • Widget improvements and possibly add per-category widgets if those are added!

The Surf Club was designed to avoid the anonymity of scale that larger rings often suffer from, in particular, Em's comments about the LowTechWebring had a big impact on the club. My plan to avoid that is to continue to focus on new and recently active forum members, sub-divide and split sites up so that it's not overwhelming, and overall make the experience feel like a fun and approachable adventure :grin:

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

jiangshi's ☆FUTURE BASS☆ club

Started by fterlyfeBoard © ∙ Music Room

Replies: 1
Views: 1366
Last post November 18, 2021 @611.18
by fterlyfe
Ko-fi Club

Started by MelooonBoard ☮︎ ∙ Other Communities & Webrings

Replies: 8
Views: 2565
Last post April 11, 2023 @961.82
by TYOMA !!
The Video Game Club

Started by demonologiBoard ⁉︎ Community Events!

Replies: 15
Views: 3355
Last post December 14, 2023 @967.79
by Biggus

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi