Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 18, 2024 - @609.14 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Four Star Posts: 53/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :4u: ~~~~~~~~~~~  :4u:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  Do you think the internet is the only avenue for large cultural change now?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Do you think the internet is the only avenue for large cultural change now?  (Read 483 times)
Deckade (Tolo)
Casual Poster

Feel free to email me and be pen pals :)

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« on: November 29, 2022 @450.66 »

I've been brooding...

and stewing....

And as a result of my "is it worth using the internet"s, my "how can we change society"s, and my "is it silly for one person to think they can change society"s I've arrived at the idea that, at least in my perspective, the internet is at least the main avenue of large scale cultural change, if not the only avenue. I mean the surface layer of culture, that more modern fleeting form of culture, which we see in decades "80's" "90's" and the like, as opposed to national cultures and the like, which in some instances span hundreds or thousands of years. Idk sociology isn't my forte :innocent:

Maybe cultural change has historically been the result of many thousands of people, and perhaps even unintentional, but we live in an age where the internet has demonstrated that culture can be both deliberately changed, and changed by few individuals in few steps (ie the emergence of Facebook).

Do you guys think the idea that modern culture can only be changed through the internet, or even a lack thereof has merit? And do you guys think this digital vehicle for 'cultural change' would be limited to popularising new social media platforms? or some other internetty thing?

Enjoy ur day :loved:
Wobblegong
Casual Poster

I will wobble once more

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2022 @97.41 »

I get that impression a lot but I think it has more to do with the fact that most of my knowledge of what's going on comes from the internet. I don't really know anyone who is super offline

entirely possible that there are still some cultural movements that are taking place mostly in the real world

what seems to be happening is that culture is going very fast, and it's also fragmenting a lot. I guess that's how the internet is

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2022 @745.56 »

I think its a bit of an old fashioned idea to separate the internet from offline life - they are the same thing! So In a way, asking if you can have social change without using the internet is like asking if you can have social change without using cars.

You can, but it sure makes life much easier :tongue: The Internet is just a tool, its one way of reaching people and of extending your consciousness beyond your immediate space. Tools exist to help us, and if they are used correctly they totally do!

On the note of changing society.. one person cannot change society (unless they are the only person who exists). However many people listening to the message of one person can change a society; Facebook itself does not matter, but the millions of people who use it do! Thats why its really important that we make sure the messages we put out are positive ones :ohdear: Thats also why the internet is a very effective tool for social change, it reaches a lot of minds.

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Forum feature requests and Ideas

Started by MelooonBoard ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions

Replies: 243
Views: 20800
Last post March 05, 2024 @666.35
by grubbyfox
xX Welcome to the Forum & Rules Xx

Started by MelooonBoard ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions

Replies: 0
Views: 5425
Last post November 14, 2021 @627.84
by Melooon
Is the future of the internet in the metaverse?

Started by sadnessBoard ☞ ∙ Life on the Web

Replies: 17
Views: 3699
Last post April 21, 2023 @795.87
by Guest

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi