Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 24, 2024 - @182.93 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Four Star Posts: 52/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ozwomp: Reminder: Forum messages stay readable for years! Keep yours high quality! :ozwomp:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Art & Games
| |-+  ♖ ∙ Video Games
| | |-+  Does anyone remember HyperCard? If so I have good news!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Does anyone remember HyperCard? If so I have good news!  (Read 1048 times)
TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« on: December 03, 2022 @176.08 »

Hypercard was a cool little program on the Apple II computers that let you build small multimedia programs using "cards." It was one of the precursors of the internet, and, fun fact, was invented after the developer went on an acid trip:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HyperCard

I was too young at the time to appreciate it, but I learned about the system as an adult, and I've always been in love with the black and white way it looks and the awesome impact it has had on the computer world.

Recently a user named Internet Janitor over at Itch.io has created a spiritual successor that can run in any browser and is much easier to use. It's called Decker, and I'm now officially obsessed with it:

https://internet-janitor.itch.i:ha:decker

Everything you make in this little program can be saved as an .html file and uploaded to your site--it's all done with javascript, so I think they'd even work with Neocities, though I haven't tried.

If anyone ends up making anything with this spiffy tool, I'd love to see what you come up with! I'm having a blast playing with it, and they're even hosting a ":grin:eckerjam" for the month of December in the Itch.io forums. Let me know if any of you decides to join!

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2022 @153.88 »

AKA, how Apple invented the world wide web in the 80s and then totally dropped the ball :omg:k:

I don't think I ever used the real version of it, BUT my first game was in Al's GameMaker which was basically a hypercard clone. I think its really cool to see a remake of it.. although I'd realy love to see an modern version of it that lets you use all the power of CSS animation and.. er.. colour.. and stuff but with the old doodly interface; then you could export it to the web and you'd have like LOADS of weird hypercard websites!

As a retro remake it is very cool, and thanks for sharing the jam; I am tempted :omg:

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
loren
Jr. Member ⚓︎

StatusCafe: ribose
iMood: ribose

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Learning to swim!Joined 2022!
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2023 @686.41 »

i was about to make a new topic about decker until i typed the subject line and this popped up as a similar topic. hi! decker looks so cool!

the link in the original post isn't working for me, so here's a new link to the decker page on itch.io.

i came across it through an e-zine about AI art, which may be of interest to many here! and yes, you can host a decker-built site on neocities! here's an example.

i haven't built anything with it yet, but hopefully one day i'll come back to this topic with something of my own to share.  :grin:
TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2023 @625.19 »

I had not realized how messed up that link was; thank you for the update!
Also, that zine is really interesting and well made.

Cobra!
Hero Member ⚓︎

’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste

StatusCafe: cobradile
iMood: Cobradile
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2023 @785.53 »

For some bizzare reason I'm unable to quote the original post, but the second link in that seems to be corrupted? The URL doesn't look right and it doesn't show anything if I try to click it.

EDIT: Found it: https://internet-janitor.itch.io/decker
« Last Edit: March 23, 2023 @788.47 by Cobra! » Logged

“Snooping as usual, I see?”
Cobra!
Hero Member ⚓︎

’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste

StatusCafe: cobradile
iMood: Cobradile
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2023 @935.60 »

Reviving this thread to say I installed Hypercard on my Macintosh, and found a whole community dedicated to them! Here is their website, which has links to programs that use them, a Twitter account and a Discord server!

Gonna look into making a stack on my Mac.

“Snooping as usual, I see?”
TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2023 @903.51 »

Cobra, I don't know how I missed that!!! I'm definitely going to have to look through that site and have some fun with it. I can't believe they even have a discord server!

shevek
Sr. Member ⚓︎

˚₊⁀꒷₊˚︰₊︶꒦꒷₊⊹︰꒷

iMood: daintyeco

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2023 @695.53 »

Decker has some creation camps/jams which are awesome. Their latest one just concluded.
Check out their amazing submissions.

I want to especially point out the submission "Old Web Cobwebs". I think the people on here invested in the old web and Desktop Simulators will enjoy it. It is a little game (you can explore it by clicking) :)

Odo was just an idea. Shevek is the proof.
di
Full Member ⚓︎

she/her

StatusCafe: dii

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2023 @915.66 »

I just found out about Decker through the same zine Loren linked to above

I've been looking for cool decks to have a look at.

One of my favorites so far is this very surreal game called cziczi. The clay figures with the dark dither aesthetic make it feel a bit nightmarish. The game makes little sense, but all the same something about it feels very... true

Internet Janitor just released a Deck called Wiggly Paint. You can draw on any blank Decker card, but this ~wiggles~ and you can export it as a tiny gif. The comments on the itch.io page are really cool

I also found a tutorial on how to make an address book in Decker.. seems very practical.

Apparently December is Deck-Month. Does anyone have more links to more cool Decks?

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Do you remember IRC?

Started by m15oBoard ⛽︎ ∙ Technology & Archiving

Replies: 20
Views: 3131
Last post April 11, 2024 @747.12
by Misanthropic Monster™
what game do u want to play but havent yet?

Started by 2010Board ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 53
Views: 5697
Last post October 07, 2023 @975.13
by Scootarooni
Freeware music goodies!

Started by phodicaeBoard © ∙ Music Room

Replies: 5
Views: 2106
Last post February 13, 2022 @285.71
by easy_breezy

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi