Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 20, 2024 - @450.75 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 44/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :4u: ~~~~~~~~~~~  :4u:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ☺︎ ∙ General Interests
| | |-+  Unique Holiday Traditions

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Unique Holiday Traditions  (Read 795 times)
wodaro
Full Member ⚓︎

I should be drawing

iMood: wodaro
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« on: December 04, 2022 @164.02 »

:unite:THE BELOVED/BELOATHED HOLIDAY SEASON APPROACHES!!!! :unite:

Do any of you have unique or weird Christmas/holiday/winter break traditions? My family does your standard baptist Christian affair, but one thing we've done since I was a kid was buy a birthday cake for Jesus every year. The type of cake is always different (one time my ex made it which my very religious sister was NOT happy about since I'm a lesbian, lol. Can't have a gay Jesus cake.) and we eat it on Christmas morning after singing Happy Birthday to Jesus as a family! Then we all sit and eat while my father reads the Christmas story from the bible. I imagine part of the reason for this was to make us sit down as kids and listen to the verses without complaint, placated by sweets.

What are some of your unique holiday traditions or just weird things you do on winter break? If you don't have anything, did you hear about something funny online? My friend just send me this cute video about a Christmas dinosaur: https://www.tumblr.com/tiktoksgay/671593234811797504

SilkSkull
Hero Member ⚓︎

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
iMood: SilkSkull
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!MARIO64.PNGCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2022 @167.50 »

I never thought I would read the words gay Jesus cake. Anyhooch my family always used to do this thing and idk if it was weird or not. Me and my sibling would always wake our parents up and then as they were having their coffees and trying to wake up we would always have our stockings before presents. I guess they wanted an excuse to wake up and have their coffee before we started tearing into gifts. Also I'm not sure if this is just a Canadian thing or not but we would always get a terry's chocolate orange in our stockings and I love those things to this day

She/Her
"Will you stop adding lampposts to my games?"

wodaro
Full Member ⚓︎

I should be drawing

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2022 @210.07 »

Yesss terry's chocolate oranges!! I love those things, tho icy squares are the holiday chocolate of choice in my family's household. We also do stockings first! Maybe that's also a Canadian thing lmao

I never thought I would read the words gay Jesus cake.

You're welcome, haha :omg:k:

SilkSkull
Hero Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2022 @216.40 »

Yesss terry's chocolate oranges!! I love those things, tho icy squares are the holiday chocolate of choice in my family's household. We also do stockings first! Maybe that's also a Canadian thing lmao

You're welcome, haha :omg:k:
Good to know I'm not the only one sitting in this Atlantic Canadian hellscape eating orange flavoured chocolate and whatever the hell the icy squares are meant to taste like (seriously it's just chocolate but there is this weird hint of something that I can't pin down)

She/Her

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2022 @819.43 »

Ah yes, chocolate oranges appear here tooo, although I think of After Eights being more of a Christmas chocolate thingy.

Stockings were first here too (I could open mine as long as it was after 6am and I DID NOT wake up my parents :tongue: Christmas morning TV was exciting) Main present opening is always in the afternoon and is a very big event in my family. I think Christmas for us is more like thanksgiving for Americans? Its centred around a big meal that all the sub-families (uncles and cousins) come to stay for (my family spans a lot of countries so visits are a big deal). My dad used to spray santa footprints on the floor with spray snow which freaked me out.

We used to have a living tree in a big pot we would being into the house to decorate every year; but it didn't like it very much and got.. really bad looking :ohdear: We always go for a Christmas afternoon walk in the park (or sometimes at night in the rain after dinner). My granddad used to like trying to get all the kids drunk on Champagne and we always watch inappropriate horror movies. There is always a Christmas pudding thats gets set on fire?

Christmas gets less fun as you get older, but one thing I do every few years is wrap up all my favourite presents from past years and old toys and put them back under the tree; then even if its a quite Christmas, you can have a big unwrapping event and you can appreciate your old stuff again :grin:

2019 was great, I got myself an Atari and my old VHS player which mostly worked sometimes! We watched old VHS movies like the Dark Crystal; it was nice to have the old TV loved as the centre of media after it was unused for so many years. I guess I have a very strong emotional connection with objects :loved:

Oh one other thing thats not really a tradition, but Iv been pushing it the last few years is to make Christmas more crafty - I buy people like craft kits as presents (like make your own glow insects or something) and then people can sit down and make stuff when they are bored - Mostly I end up doing it on my own because people are lazy, but i really love craft toys!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022 @825.19 by Melooon » Logged

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
SilkSkull
Hero Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2022 @869.32 »

OMG MELON JUST REMINDED ME. Some other weird "traditions" that aren't exactly traditions. Me and my sibling would always go for a walk after opening presents (before the dinner) to go to a convenience store that was near us and open on holidays and we would always get more eggnog because by that point we had run out. My grandmother from my fathers side would always come over for a couple days before Christmas and stay a couple days after which we loved. Of course we had my father who drank baileys (a chocolate liquor) who used to sneak me some in my eggnog. Now that melon mentions it, I have been getting crafty presents from people for years and the older I get the more I enjoy those ones. I got this "Make your own crystals" set last year and idc if ti was for kids, that was so fun lol. I also agree that Christmas loses some of it's magic, but much like the old web, you can make your own magic and that is so fun in itself. :unite:

She/Her

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2022 @203.66 »

My family isn't big on traditions other than the usual decorations, presents and dinner. But I personally like to binge horror movies set during winter or in snowy places, like The Thing or 30 Days of Night, and also cheesy holiday movies like Noelle and Elf. It's a fun combination.

2019 was great, I got myself an Atari and my old VHS player which mostly worked sometimes! We watched old VHS movies like the Dark Crystal; it was nice to have the old TV loved as the centre of media after it was unused for so many years. I guess I have a very strong emotional connection with objects :loved:

I love this setup. It makes me feel so nostalgic.
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2023 @596.76 »

In our family, there's a fancy self made dinner on Christmas Eve (24th), and then we unwrap the presents in the evening after dinner. They're wrapped and under a tree, and there's no lights other than the Christmas lights, which is kinda cozy. After that we go to bed.

Other than that, we don't do anything though for Christmas. The 25th is spent visiting the extended family with whom we have a strained relationship, and well, that's it. We always used to make fun about how elaborate and annoying American traditions for the holidays were compared to us here in Germany.
wodaro
Full Member ⚓︎

I should be drawing

View Profile WWW

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2023 @698.90 »

In our family, there's a fancy self made dinner on Christmas Eve (24th), and then we unwrap the presents in the evening after dinner. They're wrapped and under a tree, and there's no lights other than the Christmas lights, which is kinda cozy. After that we go to bed.

Other than that, we don't do anything though for Christmas. The 25th is spent visiting the extended family with whom we have a strained relationship, and well, that's it. We always used to make fun about how elaborate and annoying American traditions for the holidays were compared to us here in Germany.

Aww, that sounds super nice tho! Holiday traditions definitely don't have to be fancy. As cheesy as it is, you just need to spend them with people you care about. :4u:

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Holiday Gifts

Started by dotmidiBoard ☺︎ ∙ General Interests

Replies: 6
Views: 635
Last post January 08, 2023 @853.85
by HayleyMulch
Weird/unique pages on your website?!

Started by TYOMA !!Board ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 17
Views: 1305
Last post September 07, 2023 @476.48
by Thorn
When do you start getting in the mood for a holiday?

Started by hellodreamymikuBoard ☺︎ ∙ General Interests

Replies: 4
Views: 275
Last post November 05, 2023 @816.85
by wygolvillage

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi