Artifacts Gallery Guilds Search Wiki Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining?
Autumn, 10 Oct 2026 - @610.25
Forum Activity: Four Stars Random | Recent Posts | Guild Recents
News: :cry: Are u having fun? Guild Events: weekly zine jam 15: dreams
Super News: ~~MelonLand's Halloween Profile Design Contest 2026~~
+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Art & Writing
| |-+  ✎ ∙ Art
| | |-+  What was your first art program?


« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print Embed
Author Topic: What was your first art program?  (Read 14030 times)
dwinterwolf
Newbie ⚓︎
*
View ProfileArt


On a webstamp-collecting spree
⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
OS: Debian 13, Windows 11 Pro

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
From Tuffy with ❤️HomerspinJoined 2026!
« Reply #60 on: Autumn, 08 Oct 2026 @619 » Toggle Font Embed

I didn't even have to scroll down very far on the first page to see MS Paint be brought up, as I expected, since that came built-in with plenty of Windows versions - interestingly, most of the ones I see cite the XP version, but for me it would have either been Vista or Win7 (based on me remembering a memory where I remembered we got a new computer in 2009-2010, but I didn't remember too many UI changes, so I can only assume we used to have a Vista PC before moving to 7 during a family PC upgrade... heck, my dad held onto his Vista laptop for quite a long time before jumping straight to Windows 10)! I have a pretty distinct memory of taking pictures of Skye from the internet and creating a PowerPoint presentation of her with them, including a special art piece where she was flying in a blizzard (a.k.a I cropped an image of her flying and went wild with the brushes in MS Paint), and a brief recollection of something I drew completely on my own called something along the lines of "the island where everything happened", with what I believe to be a giraffe thinking to himself about how funny this island was - alas, I believe that and all my other works were lost after we upgraded that decade-old computer to Windows 10, which is a shame. After that, it would have been the Painting minigame in Animal Jam (now called Animal Jam Classic) from when I played in 2015-2016, which was arguably worse in every way, LOL!

The thing that pushed me onto other software was my joint birthday-Christmas present being a shiny new Wacom graphics tablet in 2020, and that purchase came with 2 free years of Clip Studio Paint Pro (1.x), and while that was a hugely steep learning curve, jumping straight from Microsoft Paint Windows 7 edition (and some limited experience with Paint 3D, which I thought was kind of mid outside of the fact that you could colour in 3D models), I'm definitely glad I made the move. I kind of miss the complete lack of anti-aliasing, but that can easily be achieved in more professional programs, so I don't mind too much. And heck, I have Tux Paint on my computer with the full stamp DLC now, and that's been quite a lot of fun  :cheesy:

Logged

http://internetometer.com/image/52059.png

Artifact Swap: JACKETB2B1Sailor Jupiterblown glass yappin kittayGreen Spiffoadventuring orcaburgorlittle sunflower !OpalWine of Zamorakshirousa yayMaya's Magatama
mongju
Newbie ⚓︎
*
View Profile WWWArt


⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: mongjuice
OS: MacOS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Joined 2026!
« Reply #61 on: Autumn, 09 Oct 2026 @478 » Embed

Ibis Paint X! A lot of my first artworks on there were amateur Gacha Life edits, though I later started making more rendered original art.
I stuck with Ibis Paint despite some flaws (ads, mainly. So many ads) until a school friend introduced Procreate to me, and I've been using Procreate since then.
I also use Tuxpaint sometimes for quick or intentionally shitty doodles.

Logged

they/he/it + any neos :cheesy:
takomo
Newbie ⚓︎
*
View Profile WWW


{yeeeah. that's right}
⛺︎ My Room

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
pearl yappin kittaycd discJoined 2026!
« Reply #62 on: Autumn, 09 Oct 2026 @645 » Embed

My very first art program was MS Paintbrush. Not Paint, Paintbrush. I'm feeling old now haha

My first serious, fully featured art program was Photoshop CS3, which my dad somehow got from the art department at his job. I saved up for a good couple of months to get a Wacom pen tablet, since back then they still had the patent on the pen that you didn't have to charge. Totally worth the wait though, changed my life :3

Logged
Xyphien
Jr. Member ⚓︎
**
View Profile WWW


⛺︎ My Room

Artifacts:
Joined 2026!
« Reply #63 on: Autumn, 09 Oct 2026 @700 » Embed

For me it was Paint technically. I remember being on a windows 98 computer at my grandfathers house (late 90s early 2000s) and we played on Paint (As well as the pinball game). Outside of playing on it and not actually using it for it's purpose the first actual program I used was Flash and also Photoshop CS2. I'm not sure which one I used first but they were in the same exact era for me and it's when I started getting into making games, websites, graphics etc. (around 2009)

Logged

https://i.imgur.com/LcwoqOA.png
hunterirving
Casual Poster ⚓︎
*
View Profile WWWArt


:o)
⛺︎ My Room

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Joined 2026!
« Reply #64 on: Autumn, 09 Oct 2026 @706 » Toggle Font Embed

Back in the day I used MS Paint (Windows 98) a LOT. I remember using it to make a choose your own adventure-style Pokémon game, where each scene was a folder with a bitmap and a text file, plus several more folders you could navigate into to make decisions (stuff like RUN, ATTACK, THROW POKéBALL, etc).

But the very first art program I used was MacPaint on an old Macintosh (maybe an SE 1/20? hard to tell from the photo), a handmedown that had been my Dad's computer in college. Here I am showing off one of my (1-bit black and white) creations:

https://hunterirving.com/huntergram/content/my_first_computer.jpg

These days, I'm building my own art/animation tool called animus, which takes inspiration from KidPix, Flipnote Studio, iScribble, and Mario Paint :ha:

Logged
lakes
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWW


⛺︎ My Room
XMPP: Chat!
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Joined 2025!
« Reply #65 on: Today at @098 » Embed

I think MSPaint if we're counting stuff I barely used. But you could argue my 1st "real" art program was Fire Alpaca. The main reason I switched was the ads. But it still holds a special place in my heart.

Logged

https://i.ibb.co/gbj9yhcZ/userbar-1.pnghttps://i.ibb.co/C3KKzjyx/Computeruser.png
https://i.ibb.co/zhKYtXts/Librebar-X.pnghttps://i.ibb.co/b5mC7H6H/DVDUser.png
https://i.ibb.co/GfCkM0g1/soulseekuserbar.pnghttps://i.ibb.co/0jRYyw7R/Trash-User.png
https://i.ibb.co/gLNfFjqc/098.pnghttps://i.ibb.co/QjqVW8xT/xfceuserbar.png
CrispySeaBreeze
Newbie
*
View Profile WWW


⛺︎ My Room

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Joined 2026!
« Reply #66 on: Today at @121 » Embed

MS Paint for me. Some of my first drawings on there were scribbles with the closed areas filled in random colors with the bucket tool. I thought they were really good too XD I felt like they could be on a wall like abstract museum paintings. When I got older and got a drawing tablet, I used Firealpaca a lot! It was free and easy to use, and I made a bunch of good stuff on there. My time with Firealpaca was when I started getting serious about art   :dive:

Logged
hyperchromatic
Casual Poster ⚓︎
*
View Profile WWWArt


stop making sense making sense
⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: cyb3rdrift

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Joined 2024!
« Reply #67 on: Today at @133 » Embed

the og ms paint was my very first... right after my parents bought a family computer for the first time i went ham on it LOL

other than that tho... i think the first program i used when i started to get serious about art was firealpaca!

Logged

https://cyb3rdrift.neocities.org/IMAGES/GIFS/rose-divider.webp
i am, i am all of me...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print Embed 
« previous next »
 

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021 | Privacy Notice | Send Feedback | Supporters ♥ Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP | Mobile


MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi
@000 Melon
Land
Forum Art Hub Chat Webring Explore Random Recent Tenement Arcade Want to Login or Join ? Web Craft Guide Graphic Catalogue Wiki Help I'm Lost! Link Land Newsletters Image Stream Minecraft: Online
Zap!
Passport Sites tamaNOTchi Asatte Add your site?
Aero Archive Onio Cafe 32 Bit Cafe Status Cafe