Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 24, 2024 - @58.82 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Four Star Posts: 52/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ozwomp: Reminder: Forum messages stay readable for years! Keep yours high quality! :ozwomp:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ☺︎ ∙ General Interests
| | |-+  Unusual local flavours?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Unusual local flavours?  (Read 988 times)
Cele

any way the wind blows

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« on: January 16, 2023 @608.56 »

Are there any unusual/uncommon flavours in foods or drinks where you live?

This came to my mind as I am currently drinking local made soda with the flavour of lemon, honey and tar, and I realized I actually recognize the smell and taste of tar really well (and it gives the feeling of "home":wink: despite never really having seeked out the flavour on purpose.
arsenicCatnip
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Big Big Worm is Wriggling With Glee!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2023 @921.72 »

I don't live over there, but my family come from Japan, and one of the really big flavours over there is pickled plum (umeboshi)! It's salty, sour and a tiny bit sweet, and so damn good. I can sit and eat whole bags of the stuff if left to my own devices, though it would probably make my sodium levels go through the ROOF

--ArsenicCatnip :-P
wodaro
Full Member ⚓︎

I should be drawing

iMood: wodaro
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2023 @230.29 »

I learned recently that Moon Mist ice cream is apparently a Nova Scotian flavour! It's a mix of grape, banana, and bubblegum flavors, and it looks like this:

I used to really love it as a kid, tho I find it a bit too sweet now. I never knew until I talked to some folks from out west that we only really have it here in the maritimes!

I've also been told that garlic fingers are Atlantic Canadian but that seems too outlandish to be true... even if Wikipedia says so... They're such a staple junk food here that I can't imagine other places not having them... :ohdear:

SilkSkull
Hero Member ⚓︎

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
iMood: SilkSkull
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!MARIO64.PNGCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2023 @708.66 »

I learned recently that Moon Mist ice cream is apparently a Nova Scotian flavour! It's a mix of grape, banana, and bubblegum flavors, and it looks like this:

I used to really love it as a kid, tho I find it a bit too sweet now. I never knew until I talked to some folks from out west that we only really have it here in the maritimes!

I've also been told that garlic fingers are Atlantic Canadian but that seems too outlandish to be true... even if Wikipedia says so... They're such a staple junk food here that I can't imagine other places not having them... :ohdear:
Moon Mist is the Maritime pride! The garlic fingers seem a bit out there, although I have never heard it mentioned in any media. Interesting topic nonetheless

She/Her
"Will you stop adding lampposts to my games?"

Cele

any way the wind blows

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2023 @762.88 »

OH I've never heard of garlic fingers
lulu
Casual Poster ⚓︎

if it stops i'm havin' a bad dream

StatusCafe: lulu
iMood: WILDLIFE

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2023 @820.20 »

I don't live over there, but my family come from Japan, and one of the really big flavours over there is pickled plum (umeboshi)! It's salty, sour and a tiny bit sweet, and so damn good. I can sit and eat whole bags of the stuff if left to my own devices, though it would probably make my sodium levels go through the ROOF

My grandparent's generation came from Japan and I grew up living with my grandma so you just described my childhood sodium levels, haha. For me it was the dried stuff ~ hoshiume! Much sweeter, still very salty and I've absolutely eaten entire bags as a child. Picked cucucumbers, pickled daikon radishes, everything was pickled. And if it wasn't, it probably had soy sauce on it. I don't know if that's a normal Japanese thing or if my family just really liked it! Eggs, rice, even tuna. Even the desserts - fresh hot mochi dough, caramelized with sugar.

Actually I guess I grew up with a fusion of Tatar (Turkic group from Russia) and Japanese cuisine, we ate both (again with the soy sauce). I guess that's a local flavor since the Japanese Tatar community is pretty centralized ;P My favorite is this dessert called çakçak, which is a bunch of little fried dough balls stuck together with honey. The texture is divine, but making it is an entire production so I haven't had it in a while.

I learned recently that Moon Mist ice cream is apparently a Nova Scotian flavour! It's a mix of grape, banana, and bubblegum flavors,

I'm a big fan of novel ice cream flavors and I've never had banana OR grape ice cream! I never even considered that ice cream could be grape flavored. I guess I have to add Nova Scotia to my travel bucket list
debleb
Full Member ⚓︎

He/him, scaley tailey dragon

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Goose!Pocket Icelogist!High Speed Ozwomp!Joined 2022!
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2023 @492.93 »

i got some locally made nettle syrup a while back that’s actually very nice  :omg: it tastes a bit like honey and it makes a really nice drink with a bit of sparkling water.

nettle is actually used in a few traditional recipes here though it’s not so popular anymore.

"I would have thought you to be above something so banal as despair. Am I mistaken?"

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2023 @527.93 »

The only thing I can think of is Irn Bru! Of which I cannot even begin to describe the flavour LOL, I can only say not to trust anyone who tells you it taste like bubblegum because that's incorrect!
debleb
Full Member ⚓︎

He/him, scaley tailey dragon

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Goose!Pocket Icelogist!High Speed Ozwomp!Joined 2022!
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2023 @401.69 »

The only thing I can think of is Irn Bru! Of which I cannot even begin to describe the flavour LOL, I can only say not to trust anyone who tells you it taste like bubblegum because that's incorrect!

it tastes like the colour orange, but not the fruit orange.

"I would have thought you to be above something so banal as despair. Am I mistaken?"

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2023 @641.76 »

it tastes like the colour orange, but not the fruit orange.

Honestly? As close as it's gonna get. Tastes like the colour orange if it was vibrating.
yungwake0
Casual Poster ⚓︎

(he/him)

StatusCafe: yungwake0
iMood: yungwake0

View Profile WWW

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2023 @121.04 »

As someone born and raised in Utah (please help me) it would be a crime not to mention fry sauce

In it's base form it's just a mixture of mayo and ketchup, but depending on the recipe/person/place there'll most likely be some other stuff in there that I can't remember off the top of my head. I just like to put Texas Pete sauce in mine but I'm just a sucker for spicy food. You could google "fry sauce" and get some recipes for a better understanding

Some local restaurants have a "white sauce" which I don't know exactly what they use, (I think vinegar and maybe lemon juice but absolutely do not quote me on that) but whatever's in there it's good :chef:

Scrib01
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Cutest Psychedelic Egg!

iMood: Scrib01
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Infinite Egg TortureJoined 2023!
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2023 @479.65 »

In Scotland we have Irn Bru, its made of girders, like was previously mentioned.
I would say it tastes of ginger and vanilla.

I'd say another weird thing we do is, we deep fry everything and anything in the chippy. We invented the deep fried mars bar (its good, trust me).
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023 @481.63 by Scrib01 » Logged

"Still know nothin' 'bout me!"

Snackish Magpie
Casual Poster ⚓︎

SpaceHey: Friend Me!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2023 @932.81 »

Ooo I can't think of anything particularly unusual for a local dish! But we have a type of bread here called a stottie. Where I used to work we'd get stottie sandwiches on a Friday, and nothing felt quite as hearty as half a stottie with chicken, sage and onion stuffing and gravy  :chef: I always want to buy a pack to keep in the house, but I don't allow myself cos I'll inhale 'em!
anglade
Casual Poster ⚓︎

bonk

View Profile WWW

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2023 @25.69 »

Not sure if this counts as local, since I've seen it in two different places, but I was in Nova Scotia recently and discovered the concept of Orange/Pineapple Ice Cream (which is delicious. I love it). I thought it was a local thing, but then I went to an ice cream place in my home city (not doxxing myself lol but nowhere near Nova Scotia) and saw it again! Is this a thing elsewhere?

:unite::unite::unite:
CytricAcid
Casual Poster ⚓︎

wait another year, utopia is here

View Profile WWW

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2023 @234.87 »

No mention of blue moon ice cream? I guess theres no midwesterners here yet! LOL

Apparently theres a lot of confusion on what flavor it's supposed to be... I'd best describe it as the same flavor of fruity pebbles. You often find it with yellow and red colored ice cream called "superman" ice cream and it was sooooo good. Favorite ice cream flavor by far.

they/them
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Share your local artists!

Started by GuestBoard © ∙ Music Room

Replies: 6
Views: 1333
Last post October 12, 2023 @676.18
by DiffydaDude
Weird local festivals and events

Started by MelooonBoard ☺︎ ∙ General Interests

Replies: 16
Views: 1561
Last post February 29, 2024 @108.16
by e-
Unusual, weird, and funny glitches!

Started by GuestBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 6
Views: 817
Last post May 04, 2023 @940.13
by Badgersaurus

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi