Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 25, 2024 - @286.20 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 40/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :4u: ~~~~~~~~~~~  :4u:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  Profile Pictures

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Profile Pictures  (Read 1188 times)
SilkSkull
Hero Member ⚓︎

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
iMood: SilkSkull
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!MARIO64.PNGCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!High Speed Ozwomp!
« on: January 24, 2023 @632.86 »

I recently watched a video essay about profile pictures and it got me thinking how interesting of a concept they are. It can tell people a lot and becomes part of peoples online image of you. Do you use different profile pictures for different sites? What made you choose a particular picture? Do you remember your first? I would love to know about peoples experience with the purely online concept

She/Her
"Will you stop adding lampposts to my games?"

wodaro
Full Member ⚓︎

I should be drawing

iMood: wodaro
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2023 @722.97 »

Because I'm an artist I always like to use my own art for sites where I post that (twitter, tumblr, mastodon, the big social media sites basically) but on sites where I'm not really there to post my art (here, discord, myanimelist, etc) I tend to use pictures from my favourite anime! on here and MAL I use pictures from Revolutionary Girl Utena, and on discord & a lot of misc. sites I use pictures of Mariko Shinobu from Oniisama E

<-- My MAL avatar, Juri from Utena
<-- My Lacemarket avatar, Mariko!

But I think I choose these character not just because they're from shows I like, but because they set a particular vibe. Both are kind of unhinged lesbians/lesbian coded characters from popular girls love series. Both are 90s anime with a very particular aesthetic. etc.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2023 @170.25 by wodaro » Logged

Nippo
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Café ClubJoined 2022!
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2023 @773.14 »

I recently watched a video essay about profile pictures and it got me thinking how interesting of a concept they are.

Do you mind sharing the video essay? I am interested in watching it!

My profile picture is this cool boppin Pikachu. I used it on AOL Instant Messenger through the Phoenix servers. I wanted a cute gif for it :dive: and now I use it here!

I update my images depending on the profile and what my moods are. I like Pokemon a lot, so I may make it that. Sometimes I'll make it my own art. I am sporadic...
SilkSkull
Hero Member ⚓︎

iMood: SilkSkull

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!MARIO64.PNGCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2023 @812.31 »

Do you mind sharing the video essay? I am interested in watching it!

My profile picture is this cool boppin Pikachu. I used it on AOL Instant Messenger through the Phoenix servers. I wanted a cute gif for it :dive: and now I use it here!

I update my images depending on the profile and what my moods are. I like Pokemon a lot, so I may make it that. Sometimes I'll make it my own art. I am sporadic...
Looking at it now, I'm not sure if it would count as a video essay because of it's length but here!
It's by one of my favorite creators

She/Her
"Will you stop adding lampposts to my games?"

Nippo
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Café ClubJoined 2022!
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2023 @851.04 »

Looking at it now, I'm not sure if it would count as a video essay because of it's length but here!
It's by one of my favorite creators

I thought this was very cool, thanks for sharing!

I have always viewed profile images in this way, but I never thought that it was something everyone else did, so it was cool to see someone else's perspective.

I don't remember the last time I have ever settled on a profile image that I'd use everywhere. I have always been a fan of gif PFPs, and it is unfortunate that most platforms do not offer them or force you to pay for them. I enjoy it when forums allow me to set a gif image.

I used to change my profile image sporadically on platforms like Discord, but I have been attempting to settle on a single image. I notice younger users tend to change theirs a lot while older users stick to one. I feel like I am a mixture of both, lol.

DJoftheCoven
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Eng. Esp. Fra. 한

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2023 @984.54 »

I recently watched a video essay about profile pictures and it got me thinking how interesting of a concept they are. It can tell people a lot and becomes part of peoples online image of you. Do you use different profile pictures for different sites? What made you choose a particular picture? Do you remember your first? I would love to know about peoples experience with the purely online concept

Oh, I remember my first! It was a drawing of a ninetales that I did on a sticky note when I was really little. I kept that for a few years until I changed it to a picture of Kiba from Naruto when I was about eleven or twelve.

Generally my pfps have always had something to do with whatever fandom I'm in at the time. It makes me happy when I choose a character to represent how I feel and everyone sees me as them! Currently my pfps across platforms (just tumblr, discord, and youtube for me) is my favorite character from The World Ends With You.

although on Melonland I've been using a pixel gif from Whimsical. I really love using gif pfps but those are generally not supported on modern social media platforms. I have a small collection of old em:ha:punk gif pfps that I found while looking through myspace archives, in case the day ever comes in which I'm allowed to use one ^^

Corrupted Unicorn
Jr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2023 @395.98 »

I don't remember my first PFP ever... yet. I think it was a random cat from a comic book.

I'm using this gif here on Melonland because I think it fits the vibe well! It's a little clay doll I made of one of my characters, then took three photos and animated together! It's a bit janky looking, but it adds to the charm.

I like using my own art as PFPs, but not always. Honestly, it depends on my mood. Especially on Discord, I like to switch them around. Common topics include pictures or fanart of characters I'm liking a lot at the moment and meme pictures for a quick laugh and an amusing look.

creaturefeature
Full Member ⚓︎

StatusCafe: creaturefeature
iMood: creaturefeature

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2023 @697.36 »

that depends, like for example for one fandom blog I would use the image of my fave characters, but sometimes I would use you spooky profiles to reflect my taste in horror.

for dreamwith its a bit different, I choose different icons according to subject o f my post

Commodorn
Full Member ⚓︎

Major Dork

iMood: Commodorn

View Profile WWW

Participated in the 2023 Profile Design Contest!First 1000 Members!Mushroom MadnessMessage BuddyJoined 2023!
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2023 @727.85 »

I've always chosen characters that I relate to in some form for my profile pictures. Those characters used to change pretty frequently (like once or twice within a year, maybe), but Mario and Luigi have become the characters I gravitate towards most when choosing an avatar. I've been consistently comfortable with that for maybe 3 to 4 years now.. I guess that's an effect of me growing older?..

..They always seem to jive the best with my humor and personality. The fact that they're plumbers satisfies the middle-aged New Yorker in my brain that likes to go on loud and animated rants about how great blue-collar workers are, too. (I love the guy, but he really needs to stop trying to take control when I'm having casual conversations that happen to mention plumbing like.. once.)

"Please, captain. Not in front of the Klingons."
tarraxahum
Full Member ⚓︎

Xx_O_o_xX

StatusCafe: tarraxahum
iMood: tarraxahum

View Profile WWW

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2023 @925.13 »

I usually put my favorite characters on my profile pics and avatars, yeah.

The profile pic I use here is perhaps the first exception in a while, in that it's drawn by me and of my own character. But that technically makes her my current favorite character too, so? On brand, I think  :grin:

"Why change the past, when you can own this day?" (c)
Cele

any way the wind blows

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2023 @948.74 »

I use different pfps everywhere and I also change them all the time. Usually they include my favourite characters, like right now here. I made this by cropping someone's wider gif. I totally don't remember my first one.
teatime
Full Member ⚓︎

RAAAAAAGH

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!High Speed Ozwomp!Joined 2023!
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2023 @282.42 »

most of my profile pics tend to just be whatever i have on my phone or computer. usually it ends up being an image of my favorite characters, since i like downloading images of them. my avatar here is an exception: i just picked it because it looked silly and unique  :ok:
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2023 @542.52 »

I personally tend to use icons from old icon packs as profile pictures. It's kind of "my thing" now.
dotmidi
Sr. Member ⚓︎

i have grown accustomed to your face...

iMood: dotmidi

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Graduate '23Pocket Icelogist!Pet BatCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2023 @606.91 »

Haha i usually just use pictures of singers from bands, OR if its an older site i use a gif from gif necronomicon like on my imood! (my imood pfp is a stop motion png of a beanie baby bat  :smile:  :smile: )

From time to time
I may speak in cliché
It's a sign of my age
What can I say?
TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2023 @617.27 »

I personally tend to use icons from old icon packs as profile pictures. It's kind of "my thing" now.

I love your profile pics! I've got a thing for icons in general, and I always like seeing the ones you choose.

Mine right now is an alien I drew in a Pixel art app. It doesn't have a name, but I think it's cute.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Payphone spotting! - Post pictures of Payphones

Started by MelooonBoard ☕︎ ∙ Fun & Forum Games

Replies: 23
Views: 3213
Last post April 20, 2024 @748.18
by zj
HELP: Resources for making an accordion style character profile page?

Started by almostcorporealBoard ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!

Replies: 4
Views: 587
Last post February 13, 2023 @237.67
by almostcorporeal
Glitching Pictures with Audacity

Started by Icey!Board ☕︎ ∙ Fun & Forum Games

Replies: 13
Views: 899
Last post December 22, 2023 @943.10
by nixie

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi