Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 26, 2024 - @428.38 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 29/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :4u: ~~~~~~~~~~~  :4u:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ⛽︎ ∙ Technology & Archiving
| | |-+  Do you remember IRC?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Do you remember IRC?  (Read 3133 times)
m15o
Jr. Member ⚓︎

StatusCafe: m15o

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« on: December 19, 2021 @771.09 »

Before Discord or Slack, there was IRC. It used to be the way to go for group discussions. It's still relatively popular amongst technical users. One of its greatest feature is that it's fully decentralized: anyone can host an IRC network server and have people connect to it.

What's your experience with IRC?

Nightdrift
Full Member ⚓︎

Suspicious Activity™

StatusCafe: nightdrift

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2021 @202.65 »

There's a name I haven't heard in a while! Sadly my experience with IRC was very limited, mostly due to personal wariness/preference away from instant messaging. But the ethos of it always seemed super cool, particularly the decentralized aspect, and the very bare-bones plain text aspect, which I assumed allows for a super lean experience.

Speaking from this incredibly limited experience, I still think it is a shame IRC isn't used more over things like Discord/Slack, though I could see the user interface/lack of "fun" being a turn off for some.

The biggest question I was always curious about (and admittedly haven't yet taken the time to research) is the level of security/anonymity possible in IRC.

Status Cafe Profile
Cobra!
Hero Member ⚓︎

’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste

StatusCafe: cobradile
iMood: Cobradile
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2021 @653.30 »

I remember there was an internet radio station I used to listen to that had an IRC chat, and the live shows had hosts interact with them. The station has moved to Discord since, though, and I lost interest in the station.

I also used to use IRC for help with Godot, but then I started using Matrix, which was a lot more active.

“Snooping as usual, I see?”
cinni
Full Member ⚓︎

believe in your dreams <3

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: cinni

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2021 @825.23 »

i started using retroshare recently (a p2p software), which has an IRC chat :-D a few other folks from the yesterweb discord are on there. otherwise, i havent used IRC in forever, not since the AIM days.. :omg:k:

j4yc33

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2022 @164.91 »

I have more positive than negative memories of IRC. I do remember that it could get *really* bad when it did. I do miss it. I think with the crowd I've met on the yesterweb and the web revival would have made the experience better.
fLaMEd
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2022 @900.87 »

I have more positive than negative memories of IRC. I do remember that it could get *really* bad when it did. I do miss it. I think with the crowd I've met on the yesterweb and the web revival would have made the experience better.

Keen to understand what you mean by IRC getting really bad?
Kutan

Chitter Critter

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2022 @31.98 »

I loved IRC! I used it for a really long time, initially for a IRC channel for a forum I posted on. Later, I became a part of this weekly IRC meetup, where every Sunday, everyone would pile in to chat while we watched a live puppet show in realplayer (no joke).

I think the only thing I dislike about IRC is the lack of logging-- it was annoying joining a new channel, and being out of the loop for a while because you couldn't read what everyone had been talking about.

Its biggest strength, though, is that absolutely everything can run IRC. I used to connect to IRC on my Dreamcast! And my very first feature phone had IRC on it. So if you're into vintage tech, it's super neat that you can still hop into chat rooms in this way.

TAS_1K
Casual Poster

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2022 @656.28 »

For sure, it's been a minute since I've used it since most of the servers I frequented have moved to Discord, but one is still up and has a bridge between Discord and the IRC server.
fLaMEd
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2022 @945.52 »

So IRC was a huge part of my early online life. I end my web memories page with the following

and included a copy of netscape navigator and netscape chat. this opened up a whole new world to me...

Which will lead onto my big IRC story. (make some time to sit down and actually write the page fLaMEd!)

So, back in the day when you installed your ISP from a floppy disk, ours came bundled with Netscape Navigator and Netscape Chat which had the ISPs local IRC server pre-configured. Best part was it wasn't isolated to this ISP, but users from across the country converged.

I got stuck into the various channels and quickly came up to speed with netiquette and interacting with others online.

There was a healthy #teen channel going on and it wasn't long before we started meeting up in real life to trade music and play laser tag etc.

I spent a good few years there and can't exactly what happened but I drifted to other IRC servers following a South Park community, and from there, that's where flamedfury kicked off, and the rest is history that I still have to document :tongue:
Kutan

Chitter Critter

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2022 @958.98 »

Man, was everybody online at that time part of a South Park community? I definitely was :omg:k:

That's so cool that your ISP gave you a way to find some local people! I still think the idea of local chat rooms is great-- though Telegram tried that (GPS enabled) but it just got demolished by bots :'(

fLaMEd
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2022 @18.36 »

The only bots back then were Eggdrops and they were helpful :smile:

Yeah I was in there with the #sweeet crew if you remember Juz and his 3d South Park wallpapers!
virtue
Full Member ⚓︎

SpaceHey: Friend Me!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2023 @65.82 »

Honestly I still use IRC quite frequently! The good hangouts are definitely really hard to spot at this point, but I personally like to spend time hanging out in ## on libera. The folks there are... well, they can definitely be very rude at time, but usually only in a relatively playful way. I have had a lot of fun hanging around there, would recommend if you can tolerate a little verbal roughhousing.

I <3 RANDOM MESSAGES!!!
dotmidi
Sr. Member ⚓︎

i have grown accustomed to your face...

iMood: dotmidi

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Graduate '23Pocket Icelogist!Pet BatCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2023 @116.22 »

« Last Edit: December 06, 2023 @117.77 by dotmidi » Logged

From time to time
I may speak in cliché
It's a sign of my age
What can I say?
DiffydaDude
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Wanna be like :grin: but instead I'm like :sad:

Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

20% coolerFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2023 @200.06 »

Honestly I still use IRC quite frequently! The good hangouts are definitely really hard to spot at this point, but I personally like to spend time hanging out in ## on libera. The folks there are... well, they can definitely be very rude at time, but usually only in a relatively playful way. I have had a lot of fun hanging around there, would recommend if you can tolerate a little verbal roughhousing.

I actually did use IRC for a bit with the free trial of mIRC, and i remember messaging the linux chat about methods to install linux, and they suggested i make a boot disk. There are a lot of servers to choose from as well

Gans

Scrap Vulture

View Profile

First 1000 Members!€100 IRC InvestmentJoined 2022!
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2024 @393.16 »

Without even knowing, Clonk and Worms, two games with lots of similarities, have a built-in IRC Client for organising games. Having that chat was neat, as it made things a lot easier.

Services still up and running. Because...
it's simple and open technology. With other words: Sustainable. That has the potential to truely connect all computers with each other. Even a C64 got it's own IRC client, how nice:

https://cubiclenate.com/2019/10/02/commodore-64-on-the-internet-irc/

* ircclonk.GIF (136.12 kB, 800x600 - viewed 20 times.)

* ircworms.GIF (18.83 kB, 640x480 - viewed 18 times.)
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Why do you watch YouTube?

Started by MelooonBoard ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema

Replies: 55
Views: 5249
Last post April 10, 2024 @574.35
by Misanthropic Monster™
Underappreciated YouTube Channels You Want to Share

Started by GuestBoard ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema

Replies: 48
Views: 3883
Last post April 11, 2024 @823.52
by Misanthropic Monster™
Does anyone remember HyperCard? If so I have good news!

Started by TheFrugalGamerBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 8
Views: 1050
Last post December 08, 2023 @915.66
by di

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi