Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
October 18, 2024 - @472.86 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Stars Posts: 27/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :dive: Are u having fun?? :dive:
Halloween Topics! Gfx + Costumes, Decor + Crafts, Prep, Horror Movies, Spooky Songs! ~ E-Zine #2 is out now!

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ☺︎ ∙ General Interests
| | |-+  © ∙ Music Room
| | | |-+  Shouting out Soyo Oka's (Super Mario Kart, Sim City) latest album: LOOP816

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Shouting out Soyo Oka's (Super Mario Kart, Sim City) latest album: LOOP816  (Read 167 times)
foxmosis
Casual Poster

thought about making my name on here twofrogs but

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile

Joined 2024!
« on: July 05, 2024 @667.15 »

I really feel like in the discussion of video game composers, most of them are grossly overlooked, and one of them is Soyo Oka.  The most notable soundtracks she was behind are probably Super Mario Kart, Pilotwings, and SimCity for the Super Nintendo.  I find her work has just a playful and bouncy energy to it and honestly I wish she would have been able to contribute to even more soundtracks.

Regardless, in 2023 she released a short album called LOOP816 that scratched an itch I've been longing for.  Lately I've been trying to buy more music rather than just stream it and I thought some members of this forum might also dig it.  Tasty chiptune stuff!  I'll drop a SoundCloud link!

While I'm here, are there any video game composers* you feel are overlooked?  I'm thinking of making something to address this, maybe a comic or video series, but I only know so much and would love to hear more if you got them! :grin:

SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/soyooka/sets/loop816?si=46f6aab6ee974130b455d21cb23fd00d&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing :goL:
LinkTree Like Thing: https://linkco.re/5a6Ctgf6?lang=en :goL:

*Maybe I should have posted this in the video game forum?

ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Here be dragons

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2024 @694.71 »

Its crazy how fast one can see a certain "signature" in compositions. Even after only a few notes, the relation with the SMK soundtrack is unmistakable! =).

Stephen Rippy created the music for the Age of Empires/Mythology series; the OST of Age II was so good that I know people who played it using their CD player!  :grin:
(I love the track starting roughly at minute 12!)
(the, equally great, expansion!)

Stan LePard did a number of pieces for several microsoft games (and, seemingly, a piece for Windows XP itself). His masterpiece is - in my opinion - the OST to King of Dragon Pass (a overall grandiose game):

Dominions 4 had a smashing soundtrack; afaik it was an "accident" - the developers didn't the OSTs themself, and for this one, they got a swedish folk band, pretty obscure, named Draam:

(Dominions IV OST).
Later releases got a much more bombastic soundtrack again. But this one was such a enhancement to the whole game, that later titles never seemed attractive again.

A

foxmosis
Casual Poster

thought about making my name on here twofrogs but

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile

Joined 2024!
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2024 @745.27 »

I find the concept of "signatures" super interesting with music, and fun!  I'm not too familiar with the Age of Empires series of games but I got some friends who gush about them and I've always got a soft spot for any older PC games.  But these are some tasty tracks and thanks for pointing out The Bovinian Derivative, it's got a cool atmosphere about it.

I think it's also fun when the usual sound team behind a series are absent for an entry for whatever reason.  Donkey Kong Country 3 is the first example that comes to mind for me, but I think it's cool hearing a different perspective on things.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

GUIDE: Melon's Simple X3D World Tutorial

Started by MelooonBoard ♺ ∙ Web Crafting Materials

Replies: 5
Views: 4650
Last post February 17, 2022 @637.75
by demonologi
Hypnospace Outlaw

Started by MemoryBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 31
Views: 5495
Last post February 06, 2024 @698.00
by foxmosis
Almost on my way to beating Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door

Started by easy_breezyBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 1
Views: 1367
Last post February 24, 2022 @94.83
by OkayRelax

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi