Artifacts Gallery Guilds Search Wiki Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining?
Autumn, 01 Oct 2026 - @627.52
Forum Activity: Four Stars Random | Recent Posts | Guild Recents
News: Love is not possession  :4u: Guild Events: Halloween Watch-a-thon
Super News: ~~MelonLand's Halloween Profile Design Contest 2026~~
+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Da Web Revival
| |-+  ☆ ∙ Things that exist!
| | |-+  Anagram generator


« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print Embed
Author Topic: Anagram generator  (Read 2439 times)
bearbearbear
Newbie
*
View Profile

⛺︎ My Room

Artifacts:
First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: Summer, 21 Jun 2023 @374 » Embed

I made an anagram generator. Well, I started making one, it's still pretty rough and I'm not sure if I'll ever polish it. Some notes:

* It should generate all anagrams for the given input exactly once. It should generate all permutations of multi-word anagrams.
* It is written in TypeScript so it runs locally on the user's machine. That's why I didn't add any restrictions on input length. However...
* It makes heavy use of sub-result caching in hopes of being fast. Unfortunately this also means that it will crash on long inputs eventually as memory runs out.
* It takes about 600 ms to generate all options for my first and last name (12 letters). If I add my middle name (5 letters), it crashes due to the above.
* It is still very difficult to find fun anagrams with it. Spying on some other generators online, I found that it would be smart to first generate anagrams with the least number of words as those are usually more interesting than ones with many small words.
* It might be good to use web workers to keep the UI responsive while generating the results. I might try that at some point as I've never used them before.

I joined this forum to publish small unpolished projects like this, hoping that the first question won't be "what's the use of this?". I hope someone finds this one even a tiny bit entertaining!

Logged
Memory
Guest

« Reply #1 on: Summer, 21 Jun 2023 @685 » Embed

Hah, this is far from nonsense. I guess I'll consult this word generator when I'm out of imagination for new names.

Although I'd prefer if your server would do the scripting in the background instead of having JavaScript running in the browser. But it's certainly working fast in new browsers.

Logged
deuil
Casual Poster
*
View Profile


⛺︎ My Room
iMood: deuil

Artifacts:
First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #2 on: Summer, 21 Jun 2023 @762 » Toggle Font Embed

i love that ! i can definitely see myself using those anagram results for art projects. i wish i could give feedback on the coding part but i'm very much clueless about that.  :drat: this is basically wizardry to me. but i do like this anagram generator way more than any fancy UI anagram generators out there. the no-nonsense interface and hundreds of possible results are pretty inspiring. thank you for sharing it !

Logged


Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWWArt


So many stars!
⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
You're a Star!Flinstone VitaminWavy Shoulder-Length Hair with BangsBug!Top HatI got robbed by Dan Q on Melonland!
« Reply #3 on: Summer, 22 Jun 2023 @097 » Toggle Font Embed

ike pi eli  :smile:  lip i eek i  :omg:  ilk pee i i :defrag:

Now figure out what I originally wrote  :ozwomp:

Logged


everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered

Artifact Swap: black n cyan yappin kittayHave a chillpillRed Tulip100 coins<3eyntivemds pet fishcurious fish
bby
Sr. Member ⚓︎
****
View Profile WWW


take my memories of her with u
⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: bumblebear
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!
iMood: dahliahawthorne
PicMix: tuxedosam
Itch.io: My Games
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Pansexual NeurodivergentSurferI met Dan Q on Melonland!Blast Off!Victory Freak
« Reply #4 on: Summer, 25 Jun 2023 @799 » Toggle Font Embed

i love this, thanks for sharing!

Logged

makeup and stickers and ponies and myspace.com melonland.net! :ozwomp:

:sleep::wizard::happy:

:4u: digital pet hoard :mail: wanna be pen pals?
Pages: [1] Print Embed 
« previous next »
 

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021 | Privacy Notice | Send Feedback | Supporters ♥ Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP | Mobile


MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi
@000 Melon
Land
Forum Art Hub Chat Webring Explore Random Recent Tenement Arcade Want to Login or Join ? Web Craft Guide Graphic Catalogue Wiki Help I'm Lost! Link Land Newsletters Image Stream Minecraft: Online
Zap!
Passport Sites tamaNOTchi Asatte Add your site?
Aero Archive Onio Cafe 32 Bit Cafe Status Cafe