Artifacts Gallery Guilds Search Wiki Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining?
Autumn, 01 Oct 2026 - @231.06
Forum Activity: Five Stars Random | Recent Posts | Guild Recents
News: :4u: ~~~~~~~~~~~ Guild Events: MelonLand's Seasonal RPG Jam
Super News: ~~MelonLand's Halloween Profile Design Contest 2026~~
+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Art & Writing
| |-+  ✑ ∙ Books & Stationery
| | |-+  Translation - Zarathustra's roundelay


« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print Embed
Author Topic: Translation - Zarathustra's roundelay  (Read 926 times)
ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWWArt


Here be dragons
⛺︎ My Room

Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!I got robbed by Dan Q on Melonland!Great Posts PacmanThanks for being rad!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: Spring, 03 Apr 2025 @759 » Embed

Just tried to translate this short - and very beautiful - poem for a friend, as I thought the existing english versions to be lacking - and I think it came out rather well!

Quote
Oh man! Pay heed!

What does the deepest midnight speak?

"Oh- I did sleep, Oh- I did sleep

I did awake, from deepest dream.

The world is deep,

much deeper, than the day did deem.

Deep is her woe,

delight - is deeper more, than heartache is:

Woe says: Perish.

But delight seeks eternity-

-seeks deepest, deep eternity.

Now, I'm not an native english speaker - so feedback is most welcome. Feel also free to share your translations of poems not available in English if you want :).

Logged

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWWArt


So many stars!
⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
You're a Star!Flinstone VitaminWavy Shoulder-Length Hair with BangsBug!Top HatI got robbed by Dan Q on Melonland!
« Reply #1 on: Spring, 03 Apr 2025 @775 » Toggle Font Embed

I like your translation! Its clearer than the ones on wikipedia and I really like the "What does the deepest midnight speak? Oh- I did sleep, Oh- I did sleep" although I also really like the "Lose not sight! What saith the deep midnight?" from one of the old translations.

I uhh decided to make my own melonland-emote translation based on the english texts  :grin:

:ha: Wake Up!
The night is speaking to you ...
:sleep:  :sleep:
Deary, wake up from your dream
The night is :omg: while the day is :tnt:
Sometimes being sad is :defrag:
  but :seal: is  :defrag: :defrag: :happy:
:seal: is  :skull: but  :4u: too
While  :defrag: is  :wizard: so don't be blue

Logged


everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered

Artifact Swap: black n cyan yappin kittayHave a chillpillRed Tulip100 coins<3eyntivemds pet fishcurious fish
ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWWArt


Here be dragons
⛺︎ My Room

Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!I got robbed by Dan Q on Melonland!Great Posts PacmanThanks for being rad!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #2 on: Spring, 03 Apr 2025 @829 » Embed

That's utmost wonderful :grin:

My flatmate just suggested
Quote
Human! Pay heed!

What does the deepest midnight speak?

"Oh- I did sleep, Oh- I did sleep

I did awake, from deepest dream.

The world is deep,

much deeper, than the day did deem.

Deep is her woe,

delight - is deeper more, than heart's-ache is:

Woe says: Perish.

But desire lusts for endlessness-

-for deepest, deepest endlessness.

Which I indeed consider to be an improvement over my original attempt, as it both improves the rhyming towards the end and introduces the dual nature (high "delight" and primal "lust") that is inherent to the German "Lust".

Logged

Pages: [1] Print Embed 
« previous next »
 

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021 | Privacy Notice | Send Feedback | Supporters ♥ Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP | Mobile


MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi
@000 Melon
Land
Forum Art Hub Chat Webring Explore Random Recent Tenement Arcade Want to Login or Join ? Web Craft Guide Graphic Catalogue Wiki Help I'm Lost! Link Land Newsletters Image Stream Minecraft: Online
Zap!
Passport Sites tamaNOTchi Asatte Add your site?
Aero Archive Onio Cafe 32 Bit Cafe Status Cafe