Artifacts Gallery Guilds Search Wiki Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining?
Autumn, 08 Oct 2026 - @131.22
Forum Activity: Four Stars Random | Recent Posts | Guild Recents
News: There's a great big indie web tomorrow! :smile: Guild Events: MelonLand's Seasonal RPG Jam
Super News: ~~MelonLand's Halloween Profile Design Contest 2026~~
+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Da Web Revival
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  Motivation!


« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print Embed
Author Topic: Motivation!  (Read 1006 times)
Rol
Full Member ⚓︎
***
View Profile WWW


⛺︎ My Room

Artifacts:
First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: Summer, 07 Jun 2024 @755 » Toggle Font Embed

For the past 4 years I've been into the web revival, I've worked on my website in this certain way.

I'd get motivated to work on my website, and for the next few weeks I'd be designing and making the homepage and everything non-stop, and I'd add a few cool things to it and whatnot if I'm really feeling good. - But then that manic, ambitious motivation would eventually fizzle out! And for a couple months I'd just give up. Then I come back, I see what I made before, I'm not satisfied with it, so I scrap it and make a new design!

I know it's okay to take breaks and work on my site whenever I want, but I am not satisfied with this cycle. It doesn't line up of how I want to handle my site. I want to be more consistent with it. I want it to slowly evolve, with me casually finding myself writing and adding things to it whenever I have something interesting in mind.

I feel like many others here might have similar experiences, and I'm wondering how it is for you, and how you handle it, and if you have any advice for me here.

« Last Edit: Summer, 07 Jun 2024 @758 by Rowan » Logged
Junebug
Full Member ⚓︎
***
View Profile WWW


Vanitas Vanitatum Omnia Vanitas
⛺︎ My Room

Artifacts:
Great Posts PacmanVanitas no Carte fanJoined 2024!
« Reply #1 on: Summer, 07 Jun 2024 @880 » Embed

If I were in your shoes, I would interpret that behavior as a combination of not being willing to commit to design choices and a sign saying I need to turn web development into a habit.

I know very well the awful ups and downs of fickle motivation. In building my own website, the task seems so enormous sometimes, all the things I need to tweak and edit to make the site better. Sometimes I'm on a spree editing my CSS stylesheet fixing all the dumb proportion issues I see or making reality some more interesting, more ambitious layout. Other times I never do anything for months, and I hate myself for that because it's not for any good reason. I'm simply procrastinating. All I know is that the only thing that guarantees regularity in my life is if whatever I'm doing is an actual habit. Where I do have a rule for myself that I must do SOMETHING at a certain time of day, hell or high water. Or else, I'll easily excuse myself into being a useless potato who doesn't bother creating anything. And I feel regretful when that happens. :ozwomp:

I think what would help is if you committed to some kind of design for your site so you don't end up scrapping it when you get dissatisfied. That way you're forced to improve what's already there. It's true what they say, starting is always the hardest part. So I think not restarting so much will help you keep working, because then there'd be some kind of continuity to look back on.

Logged

My preferred programming language is AutoHotKey.

"What you thought was a given was in reality a product of miracles."

https://vanitas-vanitatum-omnia-vanitas.net/VariousImages/vvov1.pnghttps://vanitas-vanitatum-omnia-vanitas.net/VariousImages/vvov2.pnghttps://vanitas-vanitatum-omnia-vanitas.net/VariousImages/gsth.gifhttps://vanitas-vanitatum-omnia-vanitas.net/VariousImages/htmldream.gifhttps://vanitas-vanitatum-omnia-vanitas.net/VariousImages/notepad4.gif
Pages: [1] Print Embed 
« previous next »
 

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021 | Privacy Notice | Send Feedback | Supporters ♥ Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP | Mobile


MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi
@000 Melon
Land
Forum Art Hub Chat Webring Explore Random Recent Tenement Arcade Want to Login or Join ? Web Craft Guide Graphic Catalogue Wiki Help I'm Lost! Link Land Newsletters Image Stream Minecraft: Online
Zap!
Passport Sites tamaNOTchi Asatte Add your site?
Aero Archive Onio Cafe 32 Bit Cafe Status Cafe