Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
September 08, 2024 - @131.45 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Two Stars Posts: 17/1k.beats ~ Boop! The forum will close in 869.beats! Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :4u: ~~~~~~~~~~~  :4u:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Art & Games
| |-+  ✎ ∙ Art Crafting
| | |-+  ✑ ∙ Writing & Stationery
| | | |-+  What writing aid software do you use?

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: What writing aid software do you use?  (Read 1695 times)
QuesadillaWizard
Casual Poster ⚓︎

I'd rather pick flowers instead of fights.

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2024 @216.46 »

I swear by Notion. I couldn't have published my first book without it! It helped me keep all my characters and scenes and stuff together so I could reference them as I did my rewrite of my old old draft.

invader_gvim
Casual Poster ⚓︎

My husband kept loving me when I became a girl.

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Sent On Earth By The Almighty TallestJoined 2024!
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2024 @904.02 »

:unite:

At work on the long night shift, sitting on my staff desk I wait for the clients to wake up. I feel determined to write 500 words a day, and I'm proud that's its been close to 1000. My text editor of choice is VIM - the greatest text editor ever made.

I have never liked using the mouse. It slows me down and more importantly my laptop has one of those track pads where just looking at it makes it go crazy, and I turned that off. Vim is designed for a writing workflow that only uses the keyboard.

It allows you to have mutliple tabs open, as well as split screens. I use both features to keep notes to myself. Without it I would forget character names, details, and the finer points of my outline that I follow like a religion.

It has a very nice autosave feature that doesn't force you to use it. Autosaves are saved to invisible .swp files as opposed to the actual file you are working on. If vim closes unexpectedly or without saving when you start it back up it will ask if you want to use the real file or the .swp file.

Vim allows you to set the way it colors the text file. For example, I am trying to not use too much dialog so I have it highlight everything that is within quotations.

Once you get past the learning curve, words will glide off of the screen straight from your mind. It will all be second nature to you, and even doing complicated tasks such as drawing ASCII art or charts in pure text will take seconds. If using the terminal is intimidating to you, then I recomend GVIM which is the exact same program but not in the terminal.

:pc:

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Whats your life like? (Time Capsule Thread)

Started by MelooonBoard ⚚ ∙ Life on Earth!

Replies: 41
Views: 4898
Last post August 01, 2024 @945.76
by arsenicCatnip
Can a website be "useless"?

Started by DJoftheCovenBoard ☌ ∙ Melon's Laboratory

Replies: 45
Views: 5418
Last post September 15, 2023 @380.17
by shevek
GNU / Linux / Free Software

Started by MemoryBoard ⛽︎ ∙ Technology & Archiving

Replies: 17
Views: 2940
Last post December 23, 2022 @939.87
by Cele

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi