Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
September 22, 2024 - @564.99 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Stars Posts: 30/1k.beats ~ Boop! The forum will close in 436.beats! Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :transport: :transport: More is More :transport: :transport:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!
| | | |-+  how to feel less overwhelmed?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: how to feel less overwhelmed?  (Read 471 times)
glitterpigeon
Full Member ⚓︎

And there's a blue like where the urban angels go

⛺︎ My Room
iMood: glitterpigeon

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: June 16, 2024 @181.90 »

I feel like i see all these really cool, elaborate websites and I want to make one so bad but then I can't seem to get my head around basic things needed to make one and I feel kind of stupid? a lot of tutorials market themselves as being so easy anyone can do it and so when I can't seem to figure it out, I feel kind of bad? and there are so many things I want to do and I have a hard time even knowing where to start :/ I have a bit of brain fog I think that's making it a bit harder to do this stuff, as well as finding a lot of instructions not specific enough that I don't really know what they mean? and then feeling bad for not knowing things everyone else seems to learn easily.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2024 @183.52 by glitterpigeon » Logged

pigeons will save the world!!!
arcus
Jr. Member ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: arcus
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2024 @198.48 »

What are you having trouble with specifically? If you ask here, a bunch of people would be willing to help. Do you have trouble getting started with HTML and CSS, or is it the more advanced stuff you have trouble with?

To answer the thread directly: I struggle with reading books and long guides, so I tackle learning code by thinking up of a simple project. Then, I look at cheatsheets and search up anything I don't understand.

starbreaker
Sr. Member ⚓︎

What good is Heaven if we dare not storm it?

⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!G4 Club Member!Joined 2023!
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2024 @202.50 »

Listen. I built my first website in 1996. I did it by using "view source", copying and pasting markup, and running it in a local browser to see what it did. I took me almost 30 years to become as skilled as I have, and I still have a lot to learn.

You don't have to beat yourself up for being a beginner. Everybody starts from zero.

atari
Casual Poster ⚓︎

404 not found

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: atari
iMood: cottageram

View Profile WWW

Rubber Ducky !Joined 2024!
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2024 @391.47 »

Remember to take it one page at a time, or even just one line of code at a time !!
I got into site making by first wanting to customize a profile block on smth like DA or Toyhouse !! I used a template and slowly messed around to see what each piece of code did. I'd recommend either just trying to get the basics of learning what each thing does under your belt, or start with a template and mess with it from there !!
Trust me, code can be VERY overwhelming, but knowing what you're looking at is always a good start !!
Generally speaking tutorials are good but it really depends on how the information is provided in the first place !! Everyone here is here to help you along the way as well. Idm answering any questions u might think are "basic" or "stupid." we're all here to learn  :cheesy:
I know u can do it !!! When the stuff gets too overwhelming as well take breaks in between coding sessions
Kind regards, Atari @391.44

Make a Wish!
ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Here be dragons

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2024 @511.50 »

Read one of these basic tutorials, do a chapter, and try to make a little site where you apply only what you've just learned. After a few chapters, try to combine things you have learned into a little website. Wait a while, and repeat, but upgrade your existing website by replacing parts or adding new ones after you've collected some new skills.

Also, don't be stumbled by the websites of other people. As starbreaker wrote, many people have much experience, and often there are also preexisting resources (like layouts, images, or color schemes) used to create beautiful stuff.

glitterpigeon
Full Member ⚓︎

And there's a blue like where the urban angels go

⛺︎ My Room
iMood: glitterpigeon

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2024 @170.69 »

What are you having trouble with specifically? If you ask here, a bunch of people would be willing to help. Do you have trouble getting started with HTML and CSS, or is it the more advanced stuff you have trouble with?

To answer the thread directly: I struggle with reading books and long guides, so I tackle learning code by thinking up of a simple project. Then, I look at cheatsheets and search up anything I don't understand.

yeah i'm struggling with getting started? I tend to be very bad at knowing how to communicate what i'm asking about, which makes asking questions tricky. I have noticed these past few days though that I think I learn best through trial and error rather than following instructions/reading things? this means though, that I fail at things a lot, which I find kind of embarrassing.

pigeons will save the world!!!
e-
Jr. Member ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2024 @228.03 »

I echo everyone's advice on taking things piece-meal.

To that end, make a sketch, or a sort of storyboard of your site. Draw it out on paper and write down the functionality you'd like it to have. Then code what you can of it, static pages with explanational text to fill in what you don't know how to do. Now you've got a site! It may be along way from your big idea, but that's what UnderConstruction banners are for! The rest is just chipping away at one problem at a time.

I had the idea for my site in 2018, since then I've overhauled every element at least ten times over. I bet all the creators of those intimidatingly cool sites can say the same. Your looking at the culmination of years of methodical refining.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Alternatives for when you feel like you need to use social media.

Started by VersionBoard ☞ ∙ Life on the Web

Replies: 4
Views: 1223
Last post August 27, 2022 @312.67
by wris
How do GIFS make you feel?

Started by AbsentmindBoard ☌ ∙ Melon's Laboratory

Replies: 28
Views: 2596
Last post September 15, 2024 @133.45
by boyrotting
Do you feel more like your individuality comes more easily on the decentra-web?

Started by Deckade (Tolo)Board ☞ ∙ Life on the Web

Replies: 8
Views: 1349
Last post November 06, 2022 @165.01
by PineTree

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi