Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
September 22, 2024 - @646.38 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Stars Posts: 26/1k.beats ~ Boop! The forum will close in 354.beats! Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :4u: ~~~~~~~~~~~  :4u:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!
| | | |-+  I switched from Windows to Linux and...

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: I switched from Windows to Linux and...  (Read 477 times)
di
Full Member ⚓︎

she/her

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: dii

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« on: June 12, 2024 @40.29 »

...I really like it! However, I was hoping someone here could help a newbie out.

When I open my HTML files offline in the browser, any linked content (such as images or style.css) doesn't appear.

For example, on Windows, if I opened this html file in a web browser, it would look like this

But on Linux, it looks like this, stripped bare of CSS and images

I also notice that the URL links to this, instead of the file's actual directory.

When I tried typing in the proper file directory, it didn't fix itself.

I was wondering why this is, and how I can view the HTML with linked content embedded into it, like I can in Windows.

invader_gvim
Casual Poster ⚓︎

My husband kept loving me when I became a girl.

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Sent On Earth By The Almighty TallestJoined 2024!
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2024 @224.90 »

Before doing anything, try opening it in a different browser. If that doesn't work, then try this.  :pc:

According to this reddit thread it might be an issue caused by you using a sandboxed browser through either snap or flatpak. Try installing firefox (or any other browser) through your distro's package manager directly.

Open your terminal to type in commands. Alternatively you can use the graphical package manager which should be common sense.

On Ubuntu it would be
                                                              --> sudo apt install firefox

uninstall firefox b4 doing this. Don't worry! You will still be able to install packages through your terminal or the graphical package manager just fine once it is uninstalled.

Uninstall the sandboxed browser causing the problem like this --> sudo snap remove firefox(or whatever browser)
OR                                                            --> sudo flatpak uninstall firefox(or whatever browser)

I hope this helps.  :pc:  :4u:
« Last Edit: June 12, 2024 @228.39 by invader_gvim » Logged

Memory
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2024 @317.88 »

Was the website saved appropriately? ("Web Page, complete" as opposed to "Web Page, HTML only")

Check the folder, where you saved your website: Are those additional files (images, CSS) there as well?
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!a puppy for your travelsAlways My PalFirst 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!...
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2024 @541.76 »

Im not sure if this is your html file or one you've saved - but as an alternative solution to opening the files directly: I have a lot of sites Iv saved using SiteSucker and something I tend to do on mac is put them in the Sites folder in my user folder and then I have a lil local-only web server that reads that folder - so when I wanna browse some sites I just go to "localhost" in my browser and it shows me all the sites iv saved as a nice list to browse! Doing it that way also means that JavaScripts function normally and everything works well!

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Here be dragons

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2024 @716.03 »

If none of the above works, please tell us what Distro and Browser you use :).

TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2024 @617.51 »

Im not sure if this is your html file or one you've saved - but as an alternative solution to opening the files directly: I have a lot of sites Iv saved using SiteSucker and something I tend to do on mac is put them in the Sites folder in my user folder and then I have a lil local-only web server that reads that folder - so when I wanna browse some sites I just go to "localhost" in my browser and it shows me all the sites iv saved as a nice list to browse! Doing it that way also means that JavaScripts function normally and everything works well!

This is such a lovely idea! I use wget since I'm on Linux, but it does much the same thing as SiteSucker. I may set up something similar, only as a separate home server since I'm usually archiving lots of stuff myself as well. Thanks for sharing!

starbreaker
Sr. Member ⚓︎

What good is Heaven if we dare not storm it?

⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!G4 Club Member!Joined 2023!
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2024 @714.54 »

I also notice that the URL links to this, instead of the file's actual directory.

When I tried typing in the proper file directory, it didn't fix itself.

I was wondering why this is, and how I can view the HTML with linked content embedded into it, like I can in Windows.

I test my website locally on Slackware Linux before uploading, and I've noticed that when something isn't loading properly it's because I've either used an absolute link that isn't available locally (maybe because the wifi is off) or because I had messed up a relative link. Without being able to read your web pages I can't tell you more.

di
Full Member ⚓︎

she/her

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: dii

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2024 @80.05 »

According to this reddit thread it might be an issue caused by you using a sandboxed browser through either snap or flatpak...

This ended up being the issue - I was using a sandboxed browser. I uninstalled Firefox and then reinstalled through the terminal. Now the address bar reflects the file's actual location and the linked style.css and images display normally.

Thanks so much for finding that thread and letting me know how to fix it!

& thanks to everyone else for jumping to the rescue, too. I knew this would be a good place to ask.

Going to lock the thread since the problem's solved.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Linux Mascot Games. (Yes, they exist.)

Started by Icey!Board ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 13
Views: 1752
Last post April 29, 2023 @551.45
by Gum Skyloard
Playing Ozwamp's Voyage on Linux with Wine.

Replies: 0
Views: 1286
Last post April 13, 2022 @123.11
by Icey!
Linux gaming, when developers won't cross platform.

Replies: 10
Views: 2651
Last post July 05, 2022 @855.67
by Memory

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi