Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
October 18, 2024 - @642.74 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Two Stars Posts: 24/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :4u: :transport: More is More :transport: :4u:
Halloween Topics! Gfx + Costumes, Decor + Crafts, Prep, Horror Movies, Spooky Songs! ~ E-Zine #2 is out now!

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  updating my neocities page from the commandline

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: updating my neocities page from the commandline  (Read 211 times)
invader_gvim
Jr. Member ⚓︎

My husband kept loving me when I became a girl.

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Sent On Earth By The Almighty TallestJoined 2024!
« on: October 08, 2024 @146.64 »

Drinking my coffee and noticing that the forum is closed on this glorious Monday, I have decided to write a post. :dog:  Recently there was a question on if the forum should be open on Mondays. I hope it doesn't because otherwise I would never have this nice little ritual. Its not always a Melonland post. Sometimes its writing or coding. Recently I've had a small flurry of activity updating my website and fixing broken links. Soon I'll pay for the sound to work and upload the mind control into your heads. :skull:  :skull:  :skull:

Anyway, the point of this post -- Did you know that you can update your neocities website from the commandline on Linux and Mac? I have recently found out about a gem usable on Macs from this wonderful blog. I wish that I remembered what user here I saw a link to this blog from. I scoured all of the new posts but can't find where I read it.

I tried to get this working on Linux, but it was kind of a pain. I almost gave up until I found out that there is a bash script which does the same thing. Here is the github. Just for fun, I included a screenshot of the most useful bit of info on this from my web browser.

This has turned messing with my neocities website from kind of an awful slog of clicking the same button again and again to a simple matter of typing a single command after editing the html. My website still looks kind of not good, but thats ok. Its more fun to just mess with it - like a model train set.
 :transport:

candycanearter07
Full Member ⚓︎

i like slimes

⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: candycanearter
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Suck At Something September - Did It!uh oh! a pigeon got in!Artsy Candy CaneJoined 2024!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2024 @662.92 »

I use jekyll and a github repo to handle my site, so I already kinda modify my site from the command line :D I love using the commandline for stuff, even if it's not exactly the most efficient for some things.. I would use this script if I could make it work with jekyll, though! It looks super super cool.

new to oldnet be nice

tertiaryapocalypse
Jr. Member ⚓︎

travelling through space at a very high speed

⛺︎ My Room
iMood: tertiaryapocalypse

View Profile WWW

Suck At Something September - Did It!bred :3Joined 2024!
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2024 @931.53 »

oh, hey, i also just started messing with neocities and the command line!!!

neocities actually has their own gem but it's not very noticeable info, haha. i've been using it for the past week or two but i definitely have a few things im not thrilled about. it's a bit unintuitive when it comes to making bigger changes (ie trying to update an entire directory) & i've been having some issues with image file corruption x(

how are you finding bashcities?

TERTIARYAPOCALYPSE.a button reading long gone legends in black and white with an eye icon with a star pupil
invader_gvim
Jr. Member ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2024 @987.93 »

I use jekyll and a github repo to handle my site, so I already kinda modify my site from the command line :D I love using the commandline for stuff, even if it's not exactly the most efficient for some things.. I would use this script if I could make it work with jekyll, though! It looks super super cool.

PLEASE
tell me all about what Jekyll is. It sounds kewl.

I was formerly an adherent of a  religion called the Church of EMACs which requires terminal use whenever possible. However I have been enlightened about the magic of Vim by the Almighty Tallest, who sent me here to elucidate the truth about the commandline.

invader_gvim
Jr. Member ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2024 @995.76 »

oh, hey, i also just started messing with neocities and the command line!!!

neocities actually has their own gem but it's not very noticeable info, haha. i've been using it for the past week or two but i definitely have a few things im not thrilled about. it's a bit unintuitive when it comes to making bigger changes (ie trying to update an entire directory) & i've been having some issues with image file corruption x(

how are you finding bashcities?

Besides an issue I had with using markdown (.md) files on my website when you don't use git, it has worked very well. I also resolved that issue and it was a fun little adventure to go on. I thought that it was a bug originally but it was actually just the way the config file was set up by default.

I was unable to get gems to work on either Arch Linux or Windows 95 so I have been using bashcities instead.

Generally I use windows 95 and ssh to browse websites like Melonland in the terminal and safely access the internet from a very old and depreciated computer without putting anything at risk.

I've found that an underrated use of bashcities is to quickly transfer files from my linux machine (which the windows95 one accesses) to any of my other computers by downloading my website.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2024 @2.63 by invader_gvim » Logged

candycanearter07
Full Member ⚓︎

i like slimes

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: candycanearter
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Suck At Something September - Did It!uh oh! a pigeon got in!Artsy Candy CaneJoined 2024!
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2024 @39.10 »

PLEASE
tell me all about what Jekyll is. It sounds kewl.

I was formerly an adherent of a  religion called the Church of EMACs which requires terminal use whenever possible. However I have been enlightened about the magic of Vim by the Almighty Tallest, who sent me here to elucidate the truth about the commandline.

https://jekyllrb.com/ is a really really useful and easy to set up static site generator. I have a github repository set up to ge generate and push the new site to neocities when i commit to it, using some prebuilt github actions.

Good on you for going to the good editor (vim) :) I use vim too! How long have you been using it for?

new to oldnet be nice

invader_gvim
Jr. Member ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2024 @313.68 »

https://jekyllrb.com/ is a really really useful and easy to set up static site generator. I have a github repository set up to ge generate and push the new site to neocities when i commit to it, using some prebuilt github actions.

Good on you for going to the good editor (vim) :) I use vim too! How long have you been using it for?

I am an impossibly old being - possibly older than any living being on earth. I have been using Vim for 32 years and 11 months since it's creation on November 2, 1991. At that time the universe was created, including all past events. On 2001, March 30th the universe gained awareness of itself. This is when "time" began for all of us and vim already existed.

I have been looking through the Jekyll website and I think that I most like this format. Looking at the page in lynx, it also looks good, which dispells any of my hesitation on Jekyll.

:ziped:  :transport:  :cheesy:

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Theme Poll - Do you like the forum theme?

Started by MelooonBoard ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions

Replies: 20
Views: 9416
Last post October 17, 2024 @830.53
by ヤーナム
What are some of your favorite 404 pages?

Started by Icey!Board ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 17
Views: 4557
Last post August 03, 2024 @166.93
by candycanearter07
Website example page

Started by Icey!Board ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links

Replies: 3
Views: 2275
Last post December 16, 2021 @285.10
by cinni

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi