Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
October 18, 2024 - @896.55 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Two Stars Posts: 22/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :4u: Love is not possession  :4u:
Halloween Topics! Gfx + Costumes, Decor + Crafts, Prep, Horror Movies, Spooky Songs! ~ E-Zine #2 is out now!

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  Webcraft Inspiration from Game UI

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Webcraft Inspiration from Game UI  (Read 65 times)
Kallistero
Full Member ⚓︎

SOON.

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: October 15, 2024 @334.90 »

Exactly what it says on the tin! In a quest to make alternative ways to present Web information in creative but understandable formats, I've seen a lot of artistic energy go into game UI. Pause & main menus, heads-up displays, spreadsheet games & board games, no two games are alike, and yet, they're typically not very prohibitive to really experience  :omg:

One of the common critiques (including some of my own critiques!) of alternative Web design is that it creates a barrier to entry for your visitors to actually engage with the site. If your site is meant to present the user with X but doesn't follow closely enough to format Y, then theoretically, there's a learning curve to even use the page. However, when you think of the UI for a game, X will be presented in format Y, Z, T, V, and often, even little kids will still figure them out! Growing up, I had little issue figuring out the quick-select in Ratchet & Clank, or how the many different formats of skill trees work, or the ways a player's inventory will work, or where your player piece goes when you move in a wacky-looking board game like Candyland. The inconvenience, in a grand majority of instances, was overcome by the fun!  :ozwomp:

The world of games has so many creative user interfaces, and when it comes to creative webcraft, there's a lot of inspiration to be had! So when you think of ways game UI might inspire Web presentation, what are some thoughts that come to mind?

* space_fishermen.jpg (14 kB, 480x360 - viewed 8 times.)

* persona_3_reload_pause_menu.jpg (123.11 kB, 1280x720 - viewed 7 times.)

* mouse_trap.jpg (275.89 kB, 750x624 - viewed 7 times.)

* skyrim_skill_tree.jpg (50.12 kB, 640x480 - viewed 6 times.)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2024 @33.77 by Kallistero » Logged

No pomegranates. If anyone messages me, and I found out they're a pomegranate, I will ask them to leave! :angry:
candycanearter07
Full Member ⚓︎

i like slimes

⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: candycanearter
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Suck At Something September - Did It!uh oh! a pigeon got in!Artsy Candy CaneJoined 2024!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2024 @567.58 »

a "home page/map" using a fire emblem map style maybe?

* clipboard.png (149.31 kB, 336x432 - viewed 6 times.)

new to oldnet be nice

TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2024 @803.58 »

I think there's a LOT of potential to pull new UI ideas from games, and vice versa! I've personally pulled a lot from system UI design for some of my web pages, so I don't think it's too far to jump from there to game design as well. One thing to note is that game UI design, at least in the past, has been very icon heavy:

SimCity 3000 example UI

The Sims 2 example UI

That can sometimes cause accessibility issues, so webmasters are encouraged to use alt text well.

One thing a good game UI will do, though, is get out of your way and let the focus be on the content you're playing, so I think that's why the interfaces are always so reliant on iconography: it takes less brain power to process an image, so you can interact with it in your periphery more easily, while still focusing on the main action.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

MelonEngine - Mini Three.js Game Engine

Started by MelooonBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 1
Views: 2272
Last post February 22, 2022 @261.66
by ellievoyyd
°˖ ✧-:game assets:・゚✧

Started by cinniBoard ✎ ∙ Art Crafting

Replies: 6
Views: 2304
Last post August 10, 2024 @53.38
by bugholder's epiphany
What's your favourite mobile game?

Started by NeonriserBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 41
Views: 6693
Last post Today at @851.72
by DiffydaDude

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi