Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
October 18, 2024 - @334.26 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Stars Posts: 27/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :dive: Are u having fun?? :dive:
Halloween Topics! Gfx + Costumes, Decor + Crafts, Prep, Horror Movies, Spooky Songs! ~ E-Zine #2 is out now!

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  Will you move on from the web revival/personal websites in the next few years?

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Will you move on from the web revival/personal websites in the next few years?  (Read 1832 times)
Necrosia
Full Member ⚓︎

Lord of the Labyrinth

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Welcome Soup!Joined 2023!
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2023 @860.90 »

I created my first site back on geocities and I never stopped since then and I really mean never, my site was always a morphing thing, sometimes random blog, sometimes art gallery and sometimes even changing URL but it was always there. Discovering that web revival was actually a thing was really endearing and convenient to me, it inspired me to build even more sites and start archiving stuff, but I built more sites around the one I already had and archived stuff that was already my interest from decades ago so no, I will not move on from web revival/personal websites. I may stop frequenting the forum and even leave neocities for something else but my sites will still exist in some capacity.

Even if 'web revival' as a community dies people will move on with their new knowledge of website building and when they acquire a new interest maybe they will consider building a website for it! Web revival also forced us to realize that we need to archive the sites and online stuff we enjoy because no one else will do it and unless corporations find a way to profit from it, they ain't doing it either!

Even if the golden era ends, what people learned will remain and will be passed on.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023 @867.29 by Necrosia » Logged

arcus
Jr. Member ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: arcus
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2023 @585.08 »

Unlikely. Similar to Necrosia, I've been toying around with HTML for over a decade now. I started with Freewebs, and my first site hosted on Neocities was in 2014. I'll continue to start and abandon projects for years to come.

As for communities centred around personal web sites? I assume it will be similar to most other communities I've been apart of: I'll spend most of my time lurking, which is what I do here. The only times I've left communities I've interacted with, was when they became toxic, or made me toxic.

Badgersaurus
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Punk-Rock Mustelizard from Beyond the Stars

⛺︎ My Room
iMood: Badgersaurus

View Profile WWW

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2023 @702.77 »

I don't think I will. This forum, maybe; I've already bounced off it a bit, but ultimately I just really like having a website and updating it every week or so. I don't plan on ever stopping birdwatching or drawing or not liking music anymore and those form the site's backbone, so I'll have content for a long while. I'm sure I'll redo it loads of times but even if social media suddenly became morally acceptable to me again or Mastodon became not an exercise in masochism to use I still wouldn't drop Badgersaurus. I really love having my own formatting and room for long-form thoughts.
brisray
Sr. Member ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

RocketmanFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2023 @939.99 »

Nope. There's only three ways my sites are going to stop being added to:

a) I go completely ga-ga and no longer have any idea what I'm doing.

b) I run out of ideas or am no longer interested in anything.

c) I die - even then they won't go completely offline, just not added to anymore.
devils
Full Member ⚓︎

very cool very swag i like it

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2023 @478.96 »

To be completely honest, throughout the years I've been in this niche I've moved on from many sites, but not from the indie Web as a whole... I think it brings me too much joy to give up now, I'm even considering getting qualifications for a job as a front-end Web developer because I've gotten so into making websites because of it.

Naturally, I can't predict the future. To be honest though, I feel that now that I've gotten a taste of social media withdrawal I just can't go back.

:dog:
kurohaato
Full Member ⚓︎

Full Steam Ahead! (≧∀≦)ゞ

⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: rinrinrin
iMood: kurohaato
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2023 @707.75 »

Good question! No idea. I know me if something has my attention for over a year it's probably going to remain in my life for at least another four, but at the same time my life and my interests in the future will not be the same as they are now. So who knows? Certainly not me.  :ok:

01110110 01101001 01110110 01100001 00100000 01101100 01100001 00100000 01101111 01111010 01110111 01101111 01101101 01110000 00100001 00100000 00111010 01000100 :ozwomp:
Memory
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2023 @648.61 »

I think the aspect of having your own website as a hub to place your works and thoughts in has always been appealing to me, as well as making and uploading my own creations at my own pace. I also don't frequent this forum that much as my relationship with social media has been steadily improving through the good old block and mute method to curate my feeds, but it is nice to stop by from time to time!
yatagarasu

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2023 @358.40 »

It's hard to say, my interests wax and wane. I often restart accounts after I lose interest and a lot of times passes and I forgot passwords because most of my activity is off the cuff. I agree heavily with the core principles of the current movement. I think I will stick around in some capactiy and try to stay on the pulse, even if I'm not participating in discussion in specific places. I'm like some type of paranormal entity that never stays in one place for long.
BinaryDigit
Newbie ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2023 @573.70 »

I've always been on the web since I discovered it in the late 90s, and will probably always have some sort of website/blog/link page. I go in and out of spaces, programs, social medias etc, but I'm generally always around! That won't change even when I get older.

shevek
Sr. Member ⚓︎

˚₊⁀꒷₊˚︰₊︶꒦꒷₊⊹︰꒷

⛺︎ My Room
iMood: daintyeco

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2023 @835.87 »

I believe one of two things will happen; you (as in the general non specific you) will move on from the web revival, or the web revival will move on from you!

That is very poetic and true :unite:

There is an idea or a work of art or a tool some other creation that's missing from the world, and you're here to bring it to life. Once your sculpture is complete, you've fulfilled a purpose. You can go on to sculpt another, you can share your creation with others, or you can leave it alone for a while and then come back to have what turns out to be an ever-changing type of fascination or lesson from your past works. You can also inspire & teach other sculptors or do things that help out & compete with other sculptors, which are the types of things that turn into lasting goals. The act of making the sculpture has, with it, a sense of meaning, and by working toward other people's creation of their own sculptures, you have found a sort of meta-meaning, which you'll be able to sculpt forever.

It really is important to remember how much you can shape a space, that is true. Our posts, websites, journals, statuses all can be so inspiring and meaningful, and making a space what it is. I'm glad we are all here crafting and sculpting with each other. It's like a giant blob of clay in the middle and we all have our little corner to form.

You'll have to beat me out of the internet. It's just too practical as a medium. But paranoia is high as well, of goverments and their apparatus. They have the potential to spoil the experience for the small website operators. In that case I'd have to give up the previous domain and try again in a land of web liberty...

Would you ever host your website exclusively in the dark web, or in the dark web at all? I think it's pretty interesting. We are so used to acting in the clear web with our websites and having the hosting done by providers here that most of us never think about if we ever want an onion address. That part of the web is not only for the awful things, after all.

Even if the golden era ends, what people learned will remain and will be passed on.

That's true. I'm kind of curious what will happen in the future and what our takeaways will be.

I'm even considering getting qualifications for a job as a front-end Web developer because I've gotten so into making websites because of it.

Very relatable! I think HTML, CSS and some JS can go a long way into building lasting habits and interests evolving towards programming and a DIY/problem solver personality, in my opinion.

Odo was just an idea. Shevek is the proof.
Absentmind
Full Member ⚓︎

Torture me with sorcery

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Smashing Pumpkins Live June 2024 !First 1000 Members!Café ClubJoined 2022!
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2023 @813.67 »

I think honestly its intrinsically a part of me, The nostalgia from which I feel from all the little gifs, stitched together html and gaudy colours feels real to me. Even though its all things made recently, The early internet inspired me to do what I do now, it's the root of my creativity. Now with the artsy stuff out of the way :cheesy: I think the only way i'd ever leave is if the communities and the updates dried up and went offline. For now I love being a part of these will always be a source of joy for me!

PurpleHello98
Full Member ⚓︎

'Cause I'm your girl, hold me baby <3

⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: purplehello98

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2023 @63.55 »

I don't know whether I'll move on from this movement/community or not. I do have a few on-line friends within this community and I partake in this forum and another linked with the Web revival movement, and I'm also nominally part of a Web revival Discord server for trans people. If you had asked back during the Yesterweb Days, when their Discord server was my primary method of interacting with the movement and I was growing discontented with it, I might have replied differently, but now I don't think I'll ever entirely leave this community, unless all of those connections wither and are never replaced.

As for my site itself, I doubt I'll ever give up on that, let along personal sites as a whole. I made my first personal site in 2016 or so, back on Weebly, and then another afterwards that I worked on from 2018 to 2020, and finally this one that I created in 2020 and have been maintaining since the beginning of 2021---coming up on three years. I think what I've made with this site in particular is really impressive and a big look into who I am, and whilst I've noticed that for the past little while it seems like I'm coming up with less ideas, I don't think I'll ever properly drift away from it, thanks in no small part to my blog. This may be a protip for people who feel like they're drifting away from their site and don't want to: start a blog and update it regularly! Even though, since I've added pages about most of my interests, I don't feel like I've been having a lot of ideas about new pages, since I blog at least once a week, and generally a few times per week, I have my mind more set on my site, which leads to me thinking more and coming up with more good ideas. Although you should be sure not to pressure yourself too much to post---a balance I'm still working on.

"...And we are not angels, to be comforted by seeing the means for which everything is sent."
-Elizabeth Gaskell, Wives and Daughters

Tiffany
Casual Poster ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2023 @117.79 »

I don't see myself leaving my site anytime soon, especially since it's been online since 2011 (under a different domain name though). It's always been a personal site, just not in the same way it is now, so I don't see it being anything else. Just maybe in a different way.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Website size

Started by RolyBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 60
Views: 8961
Last post September 27, 2024 @517.45
by candycanearter07
Collecting Webgardens - Post your webgarden & greenhouse!

Started by MelooonBoard ♺ ∙ Web Crafting Materials

Replies: 39
Views: 16141
Last post October 04, 2024 @492.99
by Monoki
Website example page

Started by Icey!Board ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links

Replies: 3
Views: 2273
Last post December 16, 2021 @285.10
by cinni

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi