Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
September 08, 2024 - @146.39 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Two Stars Posts: 17/1k.beats ~ Boop! The forum will close in 854.beats! Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :skull: Websites are like whispers in the night  :skull:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Art & Games
| |-+  ♖ ∙ Video Games
| | |-+  Game Jams -problems and improvement

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Game Jams -problems and improvement  (Read 1204 times)
Cobra!
Hero Member ⚓︎

’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: cobradile
iMood: Cobradile
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Happy Birthday 2k24 !bred :3First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2024 @80.42 »

Sorry, I’m not sure I follow? Are you suggesting an ongoing thing where people just build on projects done by other people? Like Open Source software?

At any rate, from my experience, anyone trying to find a team to work on a side project for free with no end that I’ve seen all end up falling apart. Heck even teams formed during timed jams can fall apart, but it isn’t as often.

Can I ask if you’ve ever completed a project like what you describe? Do you find it easy to find the motivation to start a project with no end goal or immediate reward?
The reason I ask is because if I start a project that would take a long time, I want to see some payoff in the end, otherwise I lose the motivation over time. Game Jams ars short, and you are talking to people almost the whole time, so it’s like an experience, and a bit of fun!

“Snooping as usual, I see?”
ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Here be dragons

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2024 @743.28 »

Sorry, I’m not sure I follow? Are you suggesting an ongoing thing where people just build on projects done by other people? Like Open Source software?

Not exactly, rather individual projects are done in line with a defined set of rules or orientation points; the article aboutthe Dogma95-Manifesto that I linked might help to understand it.

At any rate, from my experience, anyone trying to find a team to work on a side project for free with no end that I’ve seen all end up falling apart. Heck even teams formed during timed jams can fall apart, but it isn’t as often.

I agree that it is hard to find people to team up with; note that defining time limits or end goals would still be a option for the teams to set up ("We try what we can do in 1.5 months")

Can I ask if you’ve ever completed a project like what you describe? Do you find it easy to find the motivation to start a project with no end goal or immediate reward?

All my projects have some more or less defined end goal: A finished game, music album, etc.; sometimes this end goal is changed in the process of creation.
I mainly work on my projects because I believe in the stuff that I want to do, want to see these ideas realized, and this is my main motivation - but I don't want to lie: Working many hours on projects that receive little to no attention afterwards has its frustrating moments - for now, I can deal with it and go on.

---------------------------------------------

I started a little experiment, and would be glad if there is any resonance!
https://forum.melonland.net/index.php?topic=2427.msg23782#msg23782
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024 @671.53 by ThunderPerfectWitchcraft » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

MelonEngine - Mini Three.js Game Engine

Started by MelooonBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 1
Views: 2180
Last post February 22, 2022 @261.66
by ellievoyyd
°˖ ✧-:game assets:・゚✧

Started by cinniBoard ✎ ∙ Art Crafting

Replies: 6
Views: 2221
Last post August 10, 2024 @53.38
by bugholder's epiphany
What's your favourite mobile game?

Started by NeonriserBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 37
Views: 6468
Last post August 27, 2024 @582.13
by Bone-A Lisa

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi