Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
October 18, 2024 - @520.64 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Stars Posts: 27/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ozwomp: Reminder: Forum messages stay readable for years! Keep yours high quality! :ozwomp:
Halloween Topics! Gfx + Costumes, Decor + Crafts, Prep, Horror Movies, Spooky Songs! ~ E-Zine #2 is out now!

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Art & Games
| |-+  ♖ ∙ Video Games
| | |-+  Genesis MUD - A text adventure game!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Genesis MUD - A text adventure game!  (Read 173 times)
Azure
Casual Poster ⚓︎

yippeeeeeee!!

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: azuremillennium

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: September 12, 2024 @731.11 »

Has anyone here ever heard of Genesis MUD? It's a multiplayer text-adventure game and one of the first & oldest online games out there, and it was something I stumbled across in middle school and got really into for a few years—I'd drag my friends into playing it with me, make characters for it and everything! I think it's such a charming game, too—the simple text-art maps and all the descriptions of each area in the game are so much fun to look through, and the game itself is really fun if you're into fantasy worlds with quests and guilds and stuff.
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!a puppy for your travelsAlways My PalFirst 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!...
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2024 @742.28 »

Iv not tried it but Im a big fan of MUDs! (I guess this one is not relate to this?? https://www.genesismuds.com/) A looongg time ago I made a thread for TinyTIM which seems to be about the same age but is very obscure.

Id also shout out https://mud.co.uk/richard/ which is the personal site of Bartle, who invented MUDs  :ozwomp: (He's a bit of a character and has a funny lil blog)

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Here be dragons

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2024 @748.32 »

Never came into MUDs; thought about trying it from time to time, but always told myself that I lack the time for online games nowadays (as, to my experience, most of them are only fun if you play a few hours per week to keep up the social component and/or the required skill level). How would you gauge the required time per day?

Misanthropic Monster™
Sr. Member ⚓︎

He/Him/They/Them

⛺︎ My Room
iMood: Misanthropic
PicMix: BitterGoblin

View Profile WWW

uh oh! a pigeon got in!beetlejuice beetlejuice beetlejuice!bugpostingJoined 2024!
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2024 @779.62 »

I used to be really into MUDs and MUCKs - my first ever experience with a MUD was the Discworld MUD back in '99. I don't believe I've ever played the Genesis MUD before! But it's cool that text based Multi User Dungeons are still a thing  :loved:

Audball
Jr. Member ⚓︎

WOE BE TO THOSE WHO SEE!!!

⛺︎ My Room
iMood: audball

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2024 @794.17 »

Ooooo MUDs! I used to play AvatarMUD a lot a few years ago. I stopped playing because while it was still online, I never encountered or interacted with anyone so it started just feeling like a solo text adventure lol. Might boot up my MUD player thingy and try this out! :grin:

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt." ~Kurt Vonnegut Jr., Slaughterhouse Five
Azure
Casual Poster ⚓︎

yippeeeeeee!!

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2024 @834.39 »

Iv not tried it but Im a big fan of MUDs! (I guess this one is not relate to this?? https://www.genesismuds.com/) A looongg time ago I made a thread for TinyTIM which seems to be about the same age but is very obscure.

Id also shout out https://mud.co.uk/richard/ which is the personal site of Bartle, who invented MUDs  :ozwomp: (He's a bit of a character and has a funny lil blog)

Nah, Genesis Mud Hosting looks to be totally different than the Genesis MUD game xD Probably just a case of similar naming. I haven't heard of TinyTIM before; I'll have to check it out!! ^^
Azure
Casual Poster ⚓︎

yippeeeeeee!!

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2024 @837.31 »

Never came into MUDs; thought about trying it from time to time, but always told myself that I lack the time for online games nowadays (as, to my experience, most of them are only fun if you play a few hours per week to keep up the social component and/or the required skill level). How would you gauge the required time per day?

Hmm, when I played it regularly I never really put in a certain amount of hours per day, I would just play it until I had to go do something else—if you're more focused on the social component of things, probably a few hours a week would work, but if you're just going through the game and building your skill level/doing in-game sidequests and things then you can pretty much play it whenever, to be honest! I never really interacted all that much with others playing the game, my main thing was more "go fight as many monsters as possible and get a bunch of loot", so my perspective may be a little more skewed. ^^;
Azure
Casual Poster ⚓︎

yippeeeeeee!!

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2024 @838.53 »

Ooooo MUDs! I used to play AvatarMUD a lot a few years ago. I stopped playing because while it was still online, I never encountered or interacted with anyone so it started just feeling like a solo text adventure lol. Might boot up my MUD player thingy and try this out! :grin:

Oh, I think I've heard of AvatarMUD before! Never got around to trying it out for myself, though—I'll have to give that a shot as well! :grin:
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

MelonEngine - Mini Three.js Game Engine

Started by MelooonBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 1
Views: 2272
Last post February 22, 2022 @261.66
by ellievoyyd
My textbook is a bit out of date...

Started by diBoard ⛽︎ ∙ Technology & Archiving

Replies: 6
Views: 1954
Last post August 29, 2023 @867.22
by SilkSkull
Collecting 90s Texture CD Links

Started by MelooonBoard ✎ ∙ Art Crafting

Replies: 11
Views: 8874
Last post October 18, 2023 @880.69
by WynnDawnstrider

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi